*Yawn* Someone help me decide...

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I've been tossing over which chipset whether to go Athlon or P4 for the past few days.

And here are my options:
Athlon XP 1900 k266a, with 512 DDR2100 ram
P4 2 ghz i850, with 256 RDRAM
p4 2 ghz SiS645, with 512 DDR2700 ram

Yes, I know Athlon is very speedy compared to the P4, yet I'm still attracted by the high memory bandwidth for all my graphic intensive proggies. I guess I'm just looking for someone with any of the setup's, and how it's working out for them.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey B,
What is the latest time that you need this system? Can you wait until better reviews of the production NForce mobos come out, or the new Intel P4 w/ 512 cache, or AMD "Hammer" series of CPU's. How long can you wait? Good Luck
Peace Out...........tile

Keep Hope Alive!

icyura10

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Hmmm... seems to me that you are asking for "opinions" not data to indicate exactly which system configuration is the better for a particular application useage.

If all you want is opinion, you could just as easily go to your local (computer/department) store and ask any of the sales people that hold down the floor.

It would be a lot easier for everyone here to provide meaningful data for your consideration if we knew what you really intended to do with it.

If all you are going to do is peruse the Internet, it doesnt' matter... if you are intent on doing specific applications........ that may be something else.... thus, any insight on your intent / requirements would be appreciated.

<font color=red>When you smoke your CPU, what kind of papers do you use? :eek:

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
Well, yeah...I really am just looking for peoples opinions on what's better. As I wrote before, I said I use alot of graphic intensive programs (productivity/gaming software).

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go with the P4 SIS645 with PC2700 memory. But wait till there is an ABIT or ASUS board out for it.
There.
GOOD LUCK, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)