SLOW BOOT UP DUE TO NIC CARD

My NIC card seems to slow my boot up time by 2 min.
i know this is because the system waits from a response from nic card and
also looking for ip and address configuration of nic card.
i tried disabling auto ip configuration and but my address manually
it worked great , my computer booted in 25-30 secs.
the thing is i can't leave it on static ip because my isp is using DHCP
Any suggestions? i

Athlon xp 2000
512 ddr ram
ati 9800 pro
windows xp
4 answers Last reply
More about slow boot card

    If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
    that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
    address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
    it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
    IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
    then you can use a static address on your computer that the
    router recognizes.

    This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
    you wish to your home network.

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
    > that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
    > address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
    > it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
    > IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
    > then you can use a static address on your computer that the
    > router recognizes.
    >
    > This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
    > you wish to your home network.

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:01:03 -0800, JAY
    >"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    >> If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
    >> that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
    >> address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
    >> it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
    >> IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
    >> then you can use a static address on your computer that the
    >> router recognizes.

    I would strongly recommend this, as it also hides your PC behind the
    router. As it is, your PC has a global IP address, that allows the
    Internet to access it at (hopefully only) the TCP/IP level.

    Any defects in the services Windows exposes as a "network client" will
    be directly exploitable, otherwise. Uber-ungood.

    >> This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
    >> you wish to your home network.

    >-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
    "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
    ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"

NIC Internet Service Providers Configuration Slow Startup Windows XP