SLOW BOOT UP DUE TO NIC CARD

December 14, 2004 2:19:01 AM

My NIC card seems to slow my boot up time by 2 min.
i know this is because the system waits from a response from nic card and
also looking for ip and address configuration of nic card.
i tried disabling auto ip configuration and but my address manually
it worked great , my computer booted in 25-30 secs.
the thing is i can't leave it on static ip because my isp is using DHCP
Any suggestions? i

Athlon xp 2000
512 ddr ram
ati 9800 pro
windows xp

More about : slow boot due nic card

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:22:05 PM

If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
then you can use a static address on your computer that the
router recognizes.

This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
you wish to your home network.

December 14, 2004 11:59:11 PM

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
> that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
> address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
> it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
> IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
> then you can use a static address on your computer that the
> router recognizes.
>
> This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
> you wish to your home network.

Related resources
December 15, 2004 12:01:03 AM

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
> that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
> address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
> it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
> IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
> then you can use a static address on your computer that the
> router recognizes.
>
> This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
> you wish to your home network.

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:52:11 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:01:03 -0800, JAY
>"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

>> If your ISP requires you to use DHCP, then you will have
>> that delay as your NIC is programmed with the required IP
>> address. One remedy is to find a cheap router and connect
>> it between your ISP and your computer. Let the router get
>> IT'S address from the ISP (and stay on ALL the time) and
>> then you can use a static address on your computer that the
>> router recognizes.

I would strongly recommend this, as it also hides your PC behind the
router. As it is, your PC has a global IP address, that allows the
Internet to access it at (hopefully only) the TCP/IP level.

Any defects in the services Windows exposes as a "network client" will
be directly exploitable, otherwise. Uber-ungood.

>> This arrangement also allows you to add other computers as
>> you wish to your home network.

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
!