Help moving Page file

I recently installed a second HD with 160GB. I created a dynamic disk with
several simple volumes, including a 2.56GB volume I was going to use just for
the pagefile.sys. I have read Alex Nichols article about virtual memory in
XP. My problem is that I can't get XP to use the volume I created for the
page file. ( it worked once, then the next time I rebooted it reverted back
to using the C: drive for the page file)

I have tried setting the C: drive to use 2-50MB, 10-50MB, no page file,
system managed, and several other combinations, but can't get XP to use the
larger page file on the other volume. XP just automatically creates a
pagefile.sys file on my C: drive of 763MB, regardless of what I try to set it
to.

I have 512MB RAM and set the volume on the second disk to 763-2400MB.
Is there any way to force XP to use the 2nd disk for paging? Do I have to
format the 2nd disk as a basic disk instead of a dynamic disk?

I can start from scratch because I haven't put anything of value on the
second HD yet. (except for formatting the volumes)
4 answers Last reply
More about help moving page file

    Open regedit and navigate to the following key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    Management

    Double-click PagingFiles, and edit the value data to read:

    {preferred drive letter}:\pagefile.sys <initial size in mb> <maximum size in
    mb>

    Two points--the folder you specify for the new page file must have System -
    Full Control permissions, and you must have enough free space on the new
    drive to contain both pagefile.sys files. After reboot, delete the original
    pagefile.sys.

    "srn1120" <srn1120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently installed a second HD with 160GB. I created a dynamic disk with
    > several simple volumes, including a 2.56GB volume I was going to use just
    for
    > the pagefile.sys. I have read Alex Nichols article about virtual memory in
    > XP. My problem is that I can't get XP to use the volume I created for the
    > page file. ( it worked once, then the next time I rebooted it reverted
    back
    > to using the C: drive for the page file)
    >
    > I have tried setting the C: drive to use 2-50MB, 10-50MB, no page file,
    > system managed, and several other combinations, but can't get XP to use
    the
    > larger page file on the other volume. XP just automatically creates a
    > pagefile.sys file on my C: drive of 763MB, regardless of what I try to set
    it
    > to.
    >
    > I have 512MB RAM and set the volume on the second disk to 763-2400MB.
    > Is there any way to force XP to use the 2nd disk for paging? Do I have to
    > format the 2nd disk as a basic disk instead of a dynamic disk?

    > I can start from scratch because I haven't put anything of value on the
    > second HD yet. (except for formatting the volumes)

    Thank you Gerry for the suggestion.

    I thought for sure that your solution would solve my problem, but XP pro is
    still insisting on creating a 763MB pagefile on my C: drive.

    The disk manager says that all my drives are healthy. I do have a full
    backup of my C: drive written to another volume on the 2nd disk, and the E:
    drive (the one I am trying to use for the pagefile) has 2 folders written to
    it (System Volume Info, Recycler) I did double check that the drive had
    System - full permission on it. I also tried to give the C: drive a modest
    pagefile (10-50MB) to appease the XP gods.

    I am obviously missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. I have
    been searching the newsgroup and MS knowledge base for any thing that
    addresses this situation. I haven't found anything or can't think of anything
    that might be telling XP to behave this way.

    My system is your simple standalone desktop computer. My original HD is a
    basic volume with 2 partitions, the C: and a hidden partition installed by
    the OEM for sys recovery. I have an A: floppy, a D: DVD writer. The 2nd HD is
    a dynamic volume with E: Pagefile, F: Data, G: Back up of C:. I did download
    and run a VB script (suggested in Alex Nichols Virtual Memory article) that
    runs out of the group policy/scripts folder.

    I can't think of any reason why any of that would affect the placement of
    the pagefile. Anyone with any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!

    And gerryf, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I
    really thought you had the answer to my problem. Actually you probably did,
    'cuz it should have worked.
    -Thanks Again, srn1120

    "gerryf at thecomputerparamedic.com" wrote:

    > Open regedit and navigate to the following key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    > Management
    >
    > Double-click PagingFiles, and edit the value data to read:
    >
    > {preferred drive letter}:\pagefile.sys <initial size in mb> <maximum size in
    > mb>
    >
    > Two points--the folder you specify for the new page file must have System -
    > Full Control permissions, and you must have enough free space on the new
    > drive to contain both pagefile.sys files. After reboot, delete the original
    > pagefile.sys.
    >
    > "srn1120" <srn1120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently installed a second HD with 160GB. I created a dynamic disk with
    > > several simple volumes, including a 2.56GB volume I was going to use just
    > for
    > > the pagefile.sys. I have read Alex Nichols article about virtual memory in
    > > XP. My problem is that I can't get XP to use the volume I created for the
    > > page file. ( it worked once, then the next time I rebooted it reverted
    > back
    > > to using the C: drive for the page file)
    > >
    > > I have tried setting the C: drive to use 2-50MB, 10-50MB, no page file,
    > > system managed, and several other combinations, but can't get XP to use
    > the
    > > larger page file on the other volume. XP just automatically creates a
    > > pagefile.sys file on my C: drive of 763MB, regardless of what I try to set
    > it
    > > to.
    > >
    > > I have 512MB RAM and set the volume on the second disk to 763-2400MB.
    > > Is there any way to force XP to use the 2nd disk for paging? Do I have to
    > > format the 2nd disk as a basic disk instead of a dynamic disk?

    > > I can start from scratch because I haven't put anything of value on the
    > > second HD yet. (except for formatting the volumes)

    Hmm, should have worked.....let's back up and use the GUI method and forget
    the registry for the moment (though I would like to see the key referenced
    above).

    I am assuming you've done this, but just to make me feel better, humor me ;)

    Close everything

    Now, back on the VIRTUAL MEMORY tab, select the second drive (or whatever
    drive you're aiming for) in the DRIVE [VOLUME LABEL] box.

    First, CREATE a new page file. Check CUSTOM SIZE and for now put in 1536 in
    initial size and 1536 in maximum size. Click the SET button.

    Now, select the C: drive. Check the NO PAGING FILE radio button and press
    the SET button.

    Click OK. Windows should say it needs to restart. Do so. (if it doesn't then
    say so).

    After reboot, go back to the the VIRTUAL MEMORY settings. What do you see?

    If it has returned to the original state, what version of windows are you
    using? Xp Pro or Home? Part of a workgroup or domain? Have you ever
    installed any "tweaks" that might apply to virtual memory, for example, a
    tweak to clear virtual memory at shutdown? Running any tweaking programs
    like powertoys or xteq?

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:11:02 -0800, "srn1120"

    >I thought for sure that your solution would solve my problem, but XP pro is
    >still insisting on creating a 763MB pagefile on my C: drive.

    >I am obviously missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. I

    >My system is your simple standalone desktop computer. My original HD is a
    >basic volume with 2 partitions, the C: and a hidden partition installed by
    >the OEM for sys recovery.

    Was the OEM to skint to cough up an OS CD?
    Don't use the same OEM next time, if so.

    >The 2nd HD is a dynamic volume

    May find you can't do things with that, that you can with a "real"
    volume. I don't do NTFS, so I avoid that whole hassle.

    >"gerryf at thecomputerparamedic.com" wrote:

    >> Open regedit and navigate to the following key

    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    >> Management

    >> Double-click PagingFiles, and edit the value data to read:

    >> {preferred drive letter}:\pagefile.sys <initial size in mb> <maximum size in
    >> mb>

    >> Two points--the folder you specify for the new page file must have System -
    >> Full Control permissions, and you must have enough free space on the new
    >> drive to contain both pagefile.sys files. After reboot, delete the original
    >> pagefile.sys.

    How big are you trying to make the pagefile? Certain seemingly
    unrelated settings may impose a minimum size limit, i.e. the type of
    memory dumps that are to be done after a crash. A full dump of all
    RAM contents will bloat pagefile > RAM size.

    >> "srn1120" <srn1120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > I recently installed a second HD with 160GB. I created a dynamic disk with
    >> > several simple volumes, including a 2.56GB volume I was going to use just
    >> > for the pagefile.sys.

    That's prolly doomed. As it is, I'd keep pagefile on C: for speed, or
    I'd put it on a *real* partition or logical volume on a separate HD.

    On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream

Windows XP