Hello

Using IE and other browsers when I download a file using the "save as"
function in the left pane of the control box I only have "desktop",
"network" and "recent", i have lost "my computer" and "my documents" so to
save a file on my C drive I have to go to network, then browse my local
machine....

How can i fiw this back ?

Thanks a lot

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

are you on a work domain?

i wonder if you are getting a specialized places bar as defined by a
supervisor or sys admin

here's a way to find out

open regedit

navigate to

hkey_current_user
Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Policies

do you see a folder called ComDlg32 and inside it a folder called PlacesBar?

Are the three locations you had listed earlier in there?

"Txl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Hello
>
> Using IE and other browsers when I download a file using the "save as"
> function in the left pane of the control box I only have "desktop",
> "network" and "recent", i have lost "my computer" and "my documents" so to
> save a file on my C drive I have to go to network, then browse my local
> machine....
>
> How can i fiw this back ?
>
> Thanks a lot
>

> --
> Email contact
>
> http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Hello

I am not in a domain, in the registry where you told me to look I only
have the following folders

explorer
nonenum
system
uninstall

Where can i look next ?

Thanks

> are you on a work domain?
>
> i wonder if you are getting a specialized places bar as defined by a
> supervisor or sys admin
>
> here's a way to find out
>
> open regedit
>
> navigate to
>
> hkey_current_user
> Software
> \Microsoft
> \Windows
> \CurrentVersion
> \Policies
>

> do you see a folder called ComDlg32 and inside it a folder called
> PlacesBar?
>
> Are the three locations you had listed earlier in there?
>

> "Txl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Using IE and other browsers when I download a file using the "save as"
>> function in the left pane of the control box I only have "desktop",
>> "network" and "recent", i have lost "my computer" and "my documents" so
>> save a file on my C drive I have to go to network, then browse my local
>> machine....
>>
>> How can i fiw this back ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>

>> --
>> Email contact
>>
>> http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Does this issue only occur in IE->Save target as, or it occurs in all
application , such as notepad->File->Save as?

Does this issue occur in a new user account with the admin previlidge?

You can go to following registry key to create a new string named"Place0":

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Comdlg
32\
Placesbar]

"Place0"="the desired locaton(like %userprofile%\My Documents)"

Then, when you save target as, you will see My Documents. You can add more
strings to specify the location, such as
"Place1"="the desired locaton(like C:\my file)", the Place can be from 0 to
4.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

In addition to Miss Chen's advice, what I was going to suggest is to add one
thing, then try removing the Comdlg32 and subsection.

Rationale: adding an item customizes your places bar (the icons on the
left).You actually need to create all the places you want when you opt to
customize. If you remove all of the custome items, the places bar resets to
the default...perhaps that will restore your original version.

You didn't mention when this began---have you installed sp2? And after, did
you perhaps remove it or maybe run a restore?