Skyrim Low FPS on 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey, I been playing Skyrim for a good bit, but the FPS in towns is really starting to annoy me,

FPS= 20-40 Outdoors
30-80 Indoors

I'm running Medium at 720P with no AA and 2x AF, I put the Viewing distance a little higher for Character Fade and stuff like that.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane (I Know this isn't good but I've seen Videos Of Comparable Duel cores with Great FPS)
XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition
3Gb DDR2 800mhz Ram
500Watt PSU

I Don't see I'd think I'd be able to run Skyrim atleast 30+ at Medium.
Please Maybe theres a fix or something for low FPS, or something of the sort.

And Please If I'm just talking outta my ass and think my system is decent enough for Skyrim at Medium then come out with it.

I Know I don't have a beast system but Should be more than cabable of handling skyrim. I play BF3 On Medium-High at 1280x1024 (Native) with 30+ FPS

Thanks
-Mithness

Solution
Why don't you try this solution. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=91 You have similar hardware to what my gf has except She's running AMD Athlon II Regor X2 2.7ghz, 3 gig DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon 5670 DDR5 1 gig, Windows XP . She runs it at 1920x1080, 2x antialiasing, 8x AF, with all settings on high, decals on ultra, blur on medium. She gets 30+ fps in towns/outdoors, and much higher indoors.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I used to have a 5770 and I could max Oblivion with ease.

I think something is definitely wrong. The 5770 is no 580 but for a little card it is a beast.

I think your CPU and RAM are your biggest bottlenecks. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

Pick you up another 2GB of ram for like, 10$ tops, and I bet you see a 10fps jump right off the bat.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

its drr2 ram brother. way more then 10 bucks

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
the problem is, my motherboard only supports 4GB max. But I Will get 4Gbs.

Also I Can't upgrade the CPU but I'll defintaly get a new Mobo and CPU by Christmas.
Thats Kinda Disappointing Though haha.

But one more thing, Why do I see a Person with a Intel core 2 duo e6300 Running it perfectly fine? I have a very comparable CPU to that and he's running it fine (He had 4Gb's and a gtx260 though.)

Thanks Guys

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
This is still a new game. What does that mean? Driver problems. On the system below I get 60 fps outside sometimes dropping to 23 fps. I get better performance from BF3 with everything maxed out @ 52 fps average.

Another few days, maybe less, there will be a new driver released for amd cards. Hopefully that will resolve this widespread issue.

EDIT : After some research: CCC 11.11 is being released this week and they're working on a CAP update for Skyrim to be released soon.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Listen, here is your solution.

Purchase 4GB of DDR3 for like, 25$. Toss the memory you have now in the trash.

Overclock your CPU by about 10%-20%, as long as you don't OC higher, you won't need a cooler; and your PSU can EASILY handle it.

Problem solved, and I guarantee it.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

hey man last time i checked ddr2 memory doesnt fit in ddr3 slots so going by your plan he would need a mobo and 4gb of ram totalling atleast 100 IF they sell a board that supports his cpu and ddr3 ram.

at this point in the game he might as well upgrade most of his system if he's getting a new mobo so your plan gets rather expensive.

i remember when i was in high school and acted like a fool.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Aye, you're right.

I have never used DDR2, and I considered that when I commented...

But it is possible that his mobo supports both.

And in any case, he could get another 1GB stick for a reasonable amount.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134129&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+(Notebook+Memory)-_-Kingston+Technology+Corp.-_-20134129

And as for as OC'ing, I have done it sparingly without a cooler and never had any trouble. Now if I wanted to push my i5 2500k to 4.5GHz like some people, I would need a water cooler. But 20% OC'ed it is at 3.6GHz - that is a small OC.

So my original point stands.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

A 20% OC is not a lot for a CPU.

I have OC'ed my CPU up 20%, and the worst that happened was a shut down followed by a bios warning. And that only happened once.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you would not need a water cooler. my 2600k has been up to 5.0 ghz on an air cooler with acceptable benchmark temps.
at 4.5 it has very acceptable temps with an air cooler.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Wow.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable after all, my sincere apologies.

Hey, I have a stock cooler on my i5 and I have not tried going above 3.6GHz - I keep it cool in my house and my case is full of fans. But the last time I did it to 3.6GHz my game crashed.

I could use the extra clock speeds for GTA4 - I cannot get to 60fps as it is a CPU hog.

Any tips on a good air cooler? Cheap.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Stop posting the same message over and over again. Please.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

You cannot tell me that his ram is not the bottleneck as well.

He uses half of what he has just to run windows, I bet.

Leaving 1.5GB of blistering fast DDR2 to run the modern Skyrim.

Yeah. Right.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

well you have two options in my opinion. they are
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=noctua%20nh-d14
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

the first being as good of an air cooler you can get but you pay the price. you sholdnt have a bit of trouble getting to 4.5 with great temps(under 60*). the second is a good cooler but it will run a little hotter but you dont pay as much either. you wont have a problem getting to 4.5 to 4.8 if you dont mind running higher temps and shortening your life span. 4.5 should be a decent achievable goal for the hyper 212+ though with around 70* temps(not great but no bad)

great find! it looks like if the op can get some more clock speed out it would help a lot more then more cores. you can also see if in the bios there is an option to unlock cores because amd sometimes makes dual cores out of quad cores with just two cores disabled and sometimes you can activate them.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Personally OP's best option is to get a decent DDR3 board buy say 6GB of 1333MHz *it's really cheap* and through the rest of his setup on the new board and go from there, I just upgraded from an MSI 790XT-G45 board *DDR2 800MHz* to an ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 board with 4GB of Cas 7 1600MHz DDR3, and the difference in performance was insane :O. Now I'm waiting to get another set of that same 4GB kit :).

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Awesome dude, thanks.

I am going to look into the 25$ one. I prefer getting it at Microcenter so I don't have to wait - that's where I built my rig from.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Moneys tight right now So I can't get a new CPU/Mobo combo right at the Moment, so I'll deal with my FPS, hopefully that 11.11 update will help.

It's just I've seen Comparable Intel duel Cores getting alot better FPS than me. So I figured I Should get Better FPS aswell. And Other games Run alot better too.

Anyways thanks, when I get money I will purchase A new Quad core and Mobo.

-Mithness

cbrunnem

Distinguished

he should add a gb stick before anything.

its great that you made your computer faster but chances are the ram wasnt the culprit.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-speed-tests,1807-8.html

isamuelson

Distinguished
RAM is not going to help much. It will help SOME, but as the article that has been posted points out, the game scales with multiple cores.

The poster's original CPU (AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane) is old. It's not even an Athlon II. I had an Athlon64 and once I went to a Phenom II, things picked up a lot.

Since the OP stated he is getting a new motherboard for Christmas, there is no need at this stage of the game to upgrade the memory. Just hold off, be patient and after Christmas, things should be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.