XP has lost life, was built into computer without disk, mu..

My XP has lost it's life and I must format and reinstall but XP was put into
my computer at a factory so I don't have the installation disk. Help!!
7 answers Last reply
More about lost life built computer disk

    "urhopelesscpubud" wrote:

    > My XP has lost it's life and I must format and reinstall but XP was put into
    > my computer at a factory so I don't have the installation disk. Help!!

    Not to much you can do other then buying a new copy of XP or contacting the
    company that made your PC and see if you can get the installation disk.

    "urhopelesscpubud" wrote:

    > My XP has lost it's life and I must format and reinstall but XP was put into
    > my computer at a factory so I don't have the installation disk. Help!!

    You possibly have a hidden partition on the hard drive for such a purpose.
    Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "urhopelesscpubud" <urhopelesscpubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:F3A3CE98-026A-45F0-9EE9-103C1BE2C969@microsoft.com...
    > My XP has lost it's life and I must format and reinstall but XP was put
    > into
    > my computer at a factory so I don't have the installation disk. Help!!

    Most computers (like HP's) come with a hidden partition on the harddrive
    where you can reinstall windows. Contact your manufacturer.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > You possibly have a hidden partition on the hard drive for such a purpose.
    > Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "urhopelesscpubud" <urhopelesscpubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:F3A3CE98-026A-45F0-9EE9-103C1BE2C969@microsoft.com...
    > > My XP has lost it's life and I must format and reinstall but XP was put
    > > into
    > > my computer at a factory so I don't have the installation disk. Help!!

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:33:03 -0800, "Joshiaparra"

    >Most computers (like HP's) come with a hidden partition on the harddrive
    >where you can reinstall windows. Contact your manufacturer.

    The (like HPs) is the crucial info.

    The norm you want is to provide a fully custom-installable
    installation CD. This is the standard in the warez world, so a
    "genuine" license offering less is offering negative value.

    However, some big-volume OEMs screw the user out of this happy norm,
    in various ways. They worst will either force the factory
    partitioning and installation, destroying everything on the HD (no
    option to do a "repair install") or give you no CD at all, forcing you
    to hope your HD survives (as seemingly in your case).

    The slightly less awful with have the same force-factory-defaults
    "recovery" CD, but one that will at least respect your partitioning.
    So if you do (say) get BING to resize C: to less than all of HD, and
    store your data off C:, you can at least protect your data.

    I think it's a very poor show that MS colludes with these licensing
    rip-offs, while sanctimoneously telling users they need a "genuine"
    license for better value. These user-hostile OEM licenses suit both
    MS (curbs piracy) and the OEM ("support" is simplified to "nothing we
    can do, you have to wipe and re-install, and lose everything in the
    process"). Only the user gets shafted. MS should care, but doesn't.

    All you can do, is shop smarter next time.

    >------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The rights you save may be your own
    >------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    There is Hope!!!

    On your PC there SHOULD be a sticker from Microsoft with an OS 25-Digit
    Product-Key. THAT is your Microsoft PC Licence! Now, go to
    http://www.froogle.com and do a search for "Windows XP OEM", and some results
    will pop up. You should be able to filter by price. I think that in your
    case you only need the CD. CD's should be about $10-$20 w/o licence.

    NOTE - I have not tested this - if you buy the CD and it doesn't work, don;t
    blame me!

    BMR777

    "bmr777" wrote:
    > There is Hope!!!
    >
    > On your PC there SHOULD be a sticker from Microsoft with an OS
    > 25-Digit
    > Product-Key. THAT is your Microsoft PC Licence! Now, go to
    > http://www.froogle.com and do a search for "Windows XP OEM",
    > and some results
    > will pop up. You should be able to filter by price. I think
    > that in your
    > case you only need the CD. CD's should be about $10-$20 w/o
    > licence.
    >
    > NOTE - I have not tested this - if you buy the CD and it
    > doesn't work, don;t
    > blame me!
    >
    > BMR777

    Hi,
    I’ve been in the same situation. What is the model number/make of your
    computer?

    I might be able to help you.

    Thanks!

    --