Linksys WAG54G Firmware versions, any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi

I'm currently running firmware version 1.01.6 on my WAG54G router. I get the
occasional lockup/need to reboot, which in itself in no major issue. However I'm
considering updating the firmware to either v1.02.1 or v1.02.7. Has anyone tried
either of these and has encountered any problems?

tia

--
Email address is a known spammer.
If you'd like to reply to me, then please

"Andrew Sayers" <inforelation11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm currently running firmware version 1.01.6 on my WAG54G router. I get
the
> occasional lockup/need to reboot, which in itself in no major issue.
However I'm
> considering updating the firmware to either v1.02.1 or v1.02.7. Has
anyone tried
> either of these and has encountered any problems?
>
> tia
>

> --
> Email address is a known spammer.
> If you'd like to reply to me, then please
> use the newsgroup.

I posed a query to this group on 28/12/04 on a similar topic.

I currently have firmware 1.02.7 loaded in my WAG54G but the wireless
connection still fluctuates occasionally (as it has done for 3 other
firmware versions tested). For instance, on a 3 hour surf this afternoon I
have had to select "re-connect" on my centrino laptop on 3 occasions. Other
days I can sit for up to 8 hours with no problems.

However, I enjoy the added features of 1.02.7 such as the ability to disable
router admin via wireless. I also like the feature added in version 1.02.5
which allowed a back-up of settings to be downloaded which is also available
in 1.02.7.

I would like Linksys to provide comment on why the product is losing
wireless connection occasionally as reported by several of my friends and so
many through the newsgroups. I have noticed that applying another selection
of "save" within the router admin menu restores wireless operation each
time.

I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

WAG54G (1.02.7) + WUSB54G (Version 4):-
I've found that -
1. The wireless link is difficult to initiate. I'm using fixed IP addresses
now.
2. Often the access point is accessible but the internet is not. (but see
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php on how
to improve this).
3. The wired connection from PC to WAG54G seems to lock up occasionally. A
reboot is required.
4. The log viewer doesn't seem to work. All I ever see is "Invalid TCP
packet recieved- dropping TCP Packet" - even whilst bombarding the link from
www.grc.com shields up tests.
5. The Wireless Encryption Status is misreported as Disabled.

It would be handy if Linksys would :-
1. post a revision history on their download site. Currently (2/1/05) they
seem to have taken 1.02.7 off the download site, leaving only 1.02.1.
2. List the ports which need to be open for the router to do its job My
experiments so far suggest:-
162, 514, 1524 UDP inbound are required for log mesages to get to a
logging PC.
Netbios 135,137,138,139 seem to be required (for DHCP? - or for links to
other PCs?)
***** Can anyone extend this list please? ******

Col

"Tony Doherty" <tony.doherty@nospambigfoot.com> wrote in message

> "Andrew Sayers" <inforelation11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm currently running firmware version 1.01.6 on my WAG54G router. I get
> the
>> occasional lockup/need to reboot, which in itself in no major issue.
> However I'm
>> considering updating the firmware to either v1.02.1 or v1.02.7. Has
> anyone tried
>> either of these and has encountered any problems?
>>
>> tia
>>

>> --
>> Email address is a known spammer.
>> If you'd like to reply to me, then please
>> use the newsgroup.
>

> I posed a query to this group on 28/12/04 on a similar topic.
>
> I currently have firmware 1.02.7 loaded in my WAG54G but the wireless
> connection still fluctuates occasionally (as it has done for 3 other
> firmware versions tested). For instance, on a 3 hour surf this afternoon I
> have had to select "re-connect" on my centrino laptop on 3 occasions.
> Other
> days I can sit for up to 8 hours with no problems.
>
> However, I enjoy the added features of 1.02.7 such as the ability to
> disable
> router admin via wireless. I also like the feature added in version 1.02.5
> which allowed a back-up of settings to be downloaded which is also
> available
> in 1.02.7.
>
> I would like Linksys to provide comment on why the product is losing
> wireless connection occasionally as reported by several of my friends and
> so
> many through the newsgroups. I have noticed that applying another
> selection
> of "save" within the router admin menu restores wireless operation each
> time.
>
> I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

nospam got up from the bar and shouted: :
> [...]
>>Other
>>days I can sit for up to 8 hours with no problems.
>>
>>However, I enjoy the added features of 1.02.7 such as the ability to
>>disable
>>router admin via wireless. I also like the feature added in version 1.02.5
>>which allowed a back-up of settings to be downloaded which is also
>>available
>>in 1.02.7.
>>
>>I would like Linksys to provide comment on why the product is losing
>>wireless connection occasionally as reported by several of my friends and
>>so
>>many through the newsgroups. I have noticed that applying another
>>selection
>>of "save" within the router admin menu restores wireless operation each
>>time.
>>
>>I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

It's a really buggy router, I would get shot of it ASAP. Lockups after
a couple of hours if hosting a webserver though it, wireless dropping
out, rubbish wireless range, lack of updates or any kind of support
from Linksys, who why the sounds of it, have realised it's a bag o shite..

Gordon

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:16:12 -0000, "Tony Doherty"
<tony.doherty@nospambigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Andrew Sayers" <inforelation11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm currently running firmware version 1.01.6 on my WAG54G router. I get
>the
>> occasional lockup/need to reboot, which in itself in no major issue.
>However I'm
>> considering updating the firmware to either v1.02.1 or v1.02.7. Has
>anyone tried
>> either of these and has encountered any problems?
>>
>> tia
>>

>> --
>> Email address is a known spammer.
>> If you'd like to reply to me, then please
>> use the newsgroup.
>

>I posed a query to this group on 28/12/04 on a similar topic.
>
>I currently have firmware 1.02.7 loaded in my WAG54G but the wireless
>connection still fluctuates occasionally (as it has done for 3 other
>firmware versions tested). For instance, on a 3 hour surf this afternoon I
>have had to select "re-connect" on my centrino laptop on 3 occasions. Other
>days I can sit for up to 8 hours with no problems.
>
>However, I enjoy the added features of 1.02.7 such as the ability to disable
>router admin via wireless. I also like the feature added in version 1.02.5
>which allowed a back-up of settings to be downloaded which is also available
>in 1.02.7.
>
>I would like Linksys to provide comment on why the product is losing
>wireless connection occasionally as reported by several of my friends and so
>many through the newsgroups. I have noticed that applying another selection
>of "save" within the router admin menu restores wireless operation each
>time.
>
>I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

I have been using my LinkSys WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway for a
couple of months now, and have had no problems, other than those
of my own making. This is a home network, in a residential
neighborhood that seems to have no other wireless systems in
operation, locally.

I'm using a home built desktop computer, running Windows XP
Professional for my wired computer. My wireless computers are a
desktop downstairs and a laptop (Windows XP Professional) that
may be carried around anywhere.

My wife's computer is a desktop, with a Linksys WMP54G v4
Wireless-G PCI adapter. This computer is running Windows XP home
edition. It is located downstairs, and the signal has to pass
through the downstairs roof. This roof has a flakeboard sheathing
with an aluminum skin for heat reflection. The aluminum skin
serves as a pretty effective RF shield, so the signal downstairs
is rather weak...but the connections downstairs, for both
wireless computers, have been steady and reliable.

My laptop has a Linksys WPC 11 Wireless-B Notebook adapter. This
works very well, except I have not yet figured out how to set the
notebook up for any form of wireless security encryption other
than the default WEP encryption. This is scarcely worth using, so
I am running down the street nekked, so to speak, with wireless
security disabled.

Black Shuck <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>>I would be interested in other peoples experiences.
>>>

>It's a really buggy router, I would get shot of it ASAP. Lockups after
>a couple of hours if hosting a webserver though it, wireless dropping
>out, rubbish wireless range, lack of updates or any kind of support
>from Linksys, who why the sounds of it, have realised it's a bag o shite..

It seems to work reasonably well here, but I find I get times when it will simply
refuse to connect to the internet, even though the rest of the network works through
the inbuilt switch. I've had no problems with the wireless connectivity (yet!) but
I'm slowly getting a bit fed up with the need to reboot it when it locks up as
regards internet connectivity.

You mentioned somewhere else the Draytek Vigor 2600G. It seems a tad expensive, but
it has a printer server built in I believe? This would be handy for me as I'm
considering getting a printer server anyway, and would help me justify the cost, (to
she who must be obeyed!) particulary as the Linksys does actually work.

--
Email address is a known spammer.
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
use the newsgroup.

Andrew Sayers got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Black Shuck <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>It's a really buggy router, I would get shot of it ASAP. Lockups after
>>a couple of hours if hosting a webserver though it, wireless dropping
>>out, rubbish wireless range, lack of updates or any kind of support
>
>>from Linksys, who why the sounds of it, have realised it's a bag o shite..
>
> It seems to work reasonably well here, but I find I get times when it will simply
> refuse to connect to the internet, even though the rest of the network works through
> the inbuilt switch. I've had no problems with the wireless connectivity (yet!) but
> I'm slowly getting a bit fed up with the need to reboot it when it locks up as
> regards internet connectivity.
>
> You mentioned somewhere else the Draytek Vigor 2600G. It seems a tad expensive, but
> it has a printer server built in I believe? This would be handy for me as I'm
> considering getting a printer server anyway, and would help me justify the cost, (to
> she who must be obeyed!) particulary as the Linksys does actually work.

The drayteks are good, with rock solid stability, and some nice
features, but you will pay 20 -30% than a belkin/linksys/netgear product ..

Matwin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I have the same blue LINKSYS Wireless G ADSL modem with firmware 1.01.06. It is extremely annoying that it repeatedly looses the internet connection and does not reconnect itself. I have to reboot it in average 5 times a day. From 3 times an hour to only once a day. I have the feeling that it has to do with the amount of computers/phones/tablets connected to it and it seams to me that Apple products make the rebooting issue worse. Therefore I am currently looking for the way to change the password (which I gave to my neighbours) so that they cannot use it anymore.
To make the rebooting easier (from th 2.floor)I have connected one of those plugs that can be switched on and off with a remote between the router and the plug. But I ll buy a new modem soon, the new ones reach up to 8mBit while the Linksys reaches only 5,7mBit.