Sign in with
Your question

Depressed, need help...

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 10:14:06 AM

Hi everybody,

I have just built a PC with the followings...
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
ABIT KG7
1GB DDR Kingston RAM
Leadtek NVdia Pro64MB DDR 5.5ns
Alcatel USB Broadband modem
IBM 20GB HDD
MS Keyboard and Optical mouse
Enermax power supply

OS Win2k

Now, i am dam sure that there is no accidental groundings on the MOBO and that everything is in order.

Problem...
The PC keeps rebooting itself intermittenly, without any warning. its occurance is like once in every 3 to 5 hours of work.Its driving me nuts!!
My OS is on its latest service packs and i have updated every driver for my hardware.I have even check the CPU, motherboard and Graphics card working temp and its in optimal range.

I am getting depressed, need advice.
Did I overlook anything?

More about : depressed

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 11:33:01 AM

i am guessing that it is overheating over a long period of time?try opening the case and have a fan blowing at the inside and work as usual.
see whether it will reboot or not.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 11:37:09 AM

Did that.

Directed the air conditioner to blow directly at the PC with the covers open.

Noped, didn't work.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 12:30:49 PM

then i am running out of ideas..
November 12, 2001 12:56:37 PM

what is the temperature of the processor and the motherboard?

monitor it all the time. if its too high, around 50°C or more its worrying. if its cool 30s then something else is happening.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 1:58:13 PM

The temp has always been at around 55 degrees, and the MOBO around 40+, healthy?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 2:11:12 PM

cPU Temp is a bit high..keep it lower?getting a better fan
but u tried air con full blown to it.mm weird.
November 12, 2001 2:26:01 PM

probabely not.

check the heatsink/fan connected properly.

better still, easier is to reduce the processor speed to something lower, say 1200 MHz by changing the multipler to 9, if it is possible. If it isnt (the processor is not unlocked) then reduce the FSB to 100 MHz so that the processor will run at 1050 MHz. now check how often it reboots and what temperature it stays around at.

if reboots reduce or stop at all, there is definitely a cooling problem. try reinstalling the HSF or get a better one.

girish

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 2:26:21 PM

Could it be something else? like an error register on the RAM?
November 12, 2001 2:43:42 PM

nope, you could get GPFs in that case.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 2:49:38 PM

I had the same problem when I built my system this weekend

To get my system stabile I had to change the optimum SDRAM CAS Latency setting to 2 Cycle.

And disable ACPI.

hope that helps

Heres my spec with 300 Watt power supply

Abit KG7-RAID
512MB PC-2100
Athlon XP 1600+
Geforce Pro 64MB DDR
Sonic Fury
Realtek NIC 10/100
Aopen 12/10/32pro
40GB IBM GXP 60 HDD
Hitachi 12x DVD-Rom
CTX PR960F 19" MONITOR

Stabile as a rock now woo hoo
November 12, 2001 3:29:05 PM

interesting, CAS2 is the fastest setting you can do these days, CAS1.5 or 1 ar ecoming.

so you had to speed up your memory for stability? nope, disabling ACPI must have done the job!

girish

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2001 4:11:31 PM

girish

I disabled ACPI and after 3 hours reboot occured so I went to viahardware.com and read <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/memory.htm#What does CAS Latency mean?" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/memory.htm#What does CAS Latency mean?</A>

Faster memory needs less time to access and can use CAS latency 2. Note that most good quality CL=2.5 RAM appears able to run at CL=2 with Turbo timings on the KG7-RAID. Surprisingly, several people have reported that intermittent instabilities with CAS 2.5 SDRAM installed can be resolved by running the memory at CL=2.
November 16, 2001 3:22:18 PM

There is a setting in win2k that tells it to automatically reboot after a hardware 'failure'. Basically instead of getting the blue screen of death, it reboots automatically. There is a way to set it back to the blue screen of death but i forgot how.
November 16, 2001 4:26:05 PM

sure it couldnt be a bad power supply, i work at a shop and we had real problems with early enermax 300 W and AMD athlons. it depends on when he bought it, early ones act funny like that, later (AMD approved) ones work great. Just a low tech idea, however a hot chip will do it too. How many fans do you have? what kind of heat sink?

Putting the LAUGH back in SLAUGHTER.
November 16, 2001 4:43:07 PM

That's something I can answer! Whoo-hoo! I feel smart...

Try this:
System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery
Uncheck "Automatically restart"

(I'm sorry if the path to get there is sorta wrong, because I'm in Windows XP right now.)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
November 16, 2001 4:49:53 PM

Your Abit motherboard can let you do these things:
Uderclock your CPU.
Uderclock your RAM.
Then FSB.
Try it one by one, and find out the culprit.
Hope this help.
November 16, 2001 9:29:17 PM

Did you load the AMD chipset driver and the AMD/Win2K AGP patch?

I noticed your motherboard was at a hellish 40+ degrees. Below 30 is normal and closer to 20 if your room is air-conditioned. However, something else is going on if you blew air-conditioned air directly into the case and still had problems.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
November 16, 2001 11:42:55 PM

i read a number of times that random rebooting (esp after a while) is consistent with either chips gettng too hot (aint likely to happen with air con blwoing on it), or insufficient/low quality power supply.

take out any non-essential parts and run it for a while, if that stops it rebooting itself then either there is insuffcient power (buy a new power supply) or one of the bits you removed is causing the problem - try adding them back on by one until it becomes unstable again, and then add back everything but that last part. that should narrow it down between psu or part problem.

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"
November 17, 2001 1:44:56 AM

ty ty ty! Mine restarts exry once in a while for no apparent reason (yep, W2K). Maybe now I'll actually get an error message or something I can use. Don't seem to have much luck finding error logs or making heads or tails when I do find 'em.

Unngahhh! Fire good-blue screen bad
November 17, 2001 7:23:07 PM

i use to have the same problem on my comp (win 2k rebooting randomly). the only way to fixed it (to my knowledge) is to change your OS.
i put win xp prof (bah) in my comp and it works fine now (although i dont like win xp as much as 2k).
win 98 should work fine too.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2001 8:27:01 PM

Hi pr497,
My PC reboot again while writing this reply. I am running out of ideas, and have a funny feeling that Pre SP3 for Win2K might be the cuz of it.
Anyway, MS acknowledge a problem runing AThlon and AGP cards, they have a registry mod that i have tried. It seems to lessen the reboots.
I have 3 PC running Win2k, 2 P4 1.8G and a Athlon 1G. they dun seems to have any problems.
Might want to try ECC sticks.
What do u think?
November 17, 2001 11:09:30 PM

my problem occured with intel's pentium 4, not athlon, so that patch wouldnt work for me.
anyways...about the ECC...im not sure, you can try.
i had my memory tested and it had no problem.
dont worry, this seems to happen on random computer cuz i have read other messages on this forum with peps using both intel and amd processors that have their win 2k system rebooting randomly.
i really never heard from those people again and i have no idea how those people fixed their problem.
im just letting you know that an OS change may be what you need (cuz it worked for me).

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
!