Bad ECS K7S5A experience

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been building my own, and friends, computers for years. Recently I read some great stuff about the ECS K7S5A + AMD 1400 Athlon + DDR Combo so I built a few of them for me and some friends.

The first two systems kept resting on their own. They would just seem to turn off and on. I posted this problem here at Tom's and was recomended to get a new Power Supply. I purchased two different brand Power Supplies (HEC and Enermax), both have the AMD recomended dual fan construction. They are 340 or 350 Watt. I just have the board, Video, HD, Floppy, CD-ROM, so this should be enough power. It didn't solve the problem.

After checking all the BIOS settings, and reinstalling the OS. I updated device drivers, and combed through everything I know (may not be a tech, but this is not my first system). I replaced the boards. and the problem was solved. My system goes blue screen with a memory dump message every now and agian, but it beats the daily reset.

I figure it was the boards and I would fulful another request for a system. This one gets the memory dump error before I can install Win2k. I have tried 4 times now and I can't finish the installation of the OS.

I can't seem to flash the BIOS because the files from the ECS Web site are no good. They just write characters to the screen.

Here is the configuration of the new system (mine is very similer):

AMD Athlon 1400 Mhz (266Mhz)
ECS K7S5A mainboard with sound and NIC
Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM
WD 10 GB Hard Drive
Leadtek GeForce MX AGP
Mitsumi CD-ROM
3Com 56K WinModem
Enlight 300W AMD Recomended PS (not dual fan)

If you have some advice or suggestions, I am all ears. If you are considering this systme for yourself, I would strongly advise against based on my experience now with several of these systems with two MoBO replacements.

<font color=red><i>such madness</i></font color=red>

G

I am having a problem with my k7s5a too, although it's different than what's described above.

Specs: ECS k7s5a (onboard sound and LAN) 1ghz Duron, 256mb ddram
(The bios build is the 9/20/01 one for the k7s5a boards)

The issue is after it powers down (for anytime longer than ~15 seconds) the bios forgets the settings for the primary hard drive (the primary master value in the bios setup), and as a result, can't find a boot record. It does recognize the Cdrom though, and if I use the auto detect setting under bios setup, it finds it with no questions asked, in seconds. I also tried setting the value from 'user', to 'auto'. After a full power down, it can't auto detect the drive, but using the reset button (without full powerdown) it can autodetect the drive on the second try. At first, I considered it being a bad bios battery, but the bios is retaining other settings, like the bios color prefs for example.

I had some earlier issues that ended up being software related (hence the message editing).

I'm reluctant to send the board back, especially if I can resolve the problem without doing so. If anyone has had similar problems, or has any suggestions please let me know.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fleischer on 11/23/01 08:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
216W is roughly what I add up from your components. Rough estimate based on the max wattage you should be dealing with and ready for.

<A HREF="http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/maxpc/index_cases.htm" target="_new">http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/maxpc/index_cases.htm</A>

I checked out the <A HREF="http://www2.amd.com/us-en/protected/Processors/TechnicalResources/1,,30_182_869_1039^4038,00.html?1005618329
" target="_new">AMD approved powersupplies</A> and not a single one of the Enlight ones is 300W. As a matter of fact their recommended ones are 340W and even then their effective wattage is close to what you're using. I know it doesn't seem like it, but when you have a processor using 70W you need to get a good powersupply. I wouldn't go for a 300W with a 1.4 Ghz processor.

Also, what are your temps?

The memory dumps are a problem I've heard of before with no apparent solution offered by anyone. RMA the board if a good powersupply and crucial memory didn't solve it.

I would start there. I should note though that if this doesn't solve your problem just replace the board asap and get another one. When you get a good board it's great. I highly recommend them.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 11/12/01 06:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Did you format the drive and install a fresh copy of windows when you installed the motherboard and built the system?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Also, this forum is good for ECS info and the FAQ they have has all the downloads you'll need. I've flashed the bios using their files:

<A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4" target="_new">http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

I finally have resolved my issues with the drive detection on the k7s5a, and although I am not completely sure what finally did it, I may have some insight into the issue, especially after reading other related posts. First I flashed my bios to the newest version (V.01/10/16) [http://210.17.18.13/bios/s5a011016lan.exe], then I disabled quick boot (which I could have done with my prior bios version). When I had tried to disable quick boot before I had impatiently skipped the memory test, but the time that I didn?t, it seemed to work. This leads me to a possible explanation that I have no way of verifying, but may provide some insight into the problem: some drives (mine was a Western Digital) may have longer spin up / initialization times than others, and as a result, when they power on, they aren?t automatically detected by the bios when it initially powers up. Disabling quick boot and allowing the memory test to stall the bios may enable the drive to ?warm up? enough to be detected. This would explain a number of things. First it explains why on restart the drive is detected, but not on the initial boot (after power?s been off). Secondly it allows for configurations that include different types of hard drives to not have any problems, since presumably their drives don?t take as long until they are able to be detected. Lastly, it explains why the bios settings are retained (including the auto detect setting). The only bios setting that was reset each time before, was the setting on the primary master (which we?re assuming it wasn?t detecting because the drive hadn?t ?warmed up?) so it makes sense that the bios would revert the previous drive geometry settings to ?not installed? if it couldn?t find the drive. Remember though, this is just my own possible explanation. If any of my assumptions are wrong, please don?t hesitate to correct me, but my problem?s now resolved so hopefully this helps others who are having similar problems.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
well, if that were true, then the board is indeed a pretty crappy piece of silicon. and also i had problems with the k7s5a, switched to a ga-7vtx-p, have quickboot enabled and not a single problem with the board. same hdd's as i was using with the k7s5a, 1x40gb ibm, 3x60gb ibm. i think i got lucky on my second k7s5a, which my sister is currently running. in the future i know to stay away from ecs, SiS will definitely have to get with a better mobo manufacturer before i would consider them again.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

integral

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
My K7S5 ran fine for about 3 weeks then it began to lock up, finally it refused to POST. I returned it and got a Shuttle AK31. Same CPU,Memory,HD and even the SAME WINDOWs installation, runs like a champ has been for over a week now I fully expect it to continue.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What you describe is not all that uncommon. This is usually addressed by a setting in bios labeld HDD pre-delay. Though the ecs board does not have such a setting, your disabling quick boot effectively does the same thing. Your diagnosis of why it was not detecting was pretty close so I will leave it sit at that.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A little more info would be appreciated, chances are you got one of the bad rev 4 boards. But first, how many sticks of RAM? Try installing win 2k at 200 fsb and the most conservative memory settings.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?

Chrispix272

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2001
I was in the market to buy one of those boards..but now that u guys are haveing so many problems i dont think i want to deal with it. Can anyone recommend a good but cheap K7 board? ...I am looking to use them for a group of 6 computers, so every dollar that I save on each board =6. But I dont want to have to keep going back to them to fix the POS's. So if anyone out there has a great rock solid K7 board at a good price, let me know. Also I take reliablity far more than high performance if u know what i mean.

Thanks

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, the k7s5a, is a good stable, and cheap k7 board.
and if you are buying 6 of them, ask the place to make sure that they arent rev. 4...because those are the ones that you will most likely have problems with.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Just for sh!ts and giggles, here's a POSITIVE ECS review: I bought a K7S5A in early September, threw in 256MB of Kngston DDR, an Athlon T-Bird 1.4GHz, a WD 20GB 7200RPM HD, another Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM HD, a GeForce2 MX, and a US Robotics modem all powered by an Antec 300W AMD-approved power supply, and had zero problems. the chip ran at 40C idle with an Antec JetCool HSF. All drives recognized easily, quick boot enabled, etc. the BIOS revision was 8/29 (I think) and I had intended to flash the BIOS, but sold off that system to buy my current XP 1700+ system.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you wouldnt happen to know the revision of that board..
the little white sticker near the pci slots...

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
whoa...i am seeing double.
i have had 3 different revisions...3, 4, 5...
none of them had memory errors.

-DAvid

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a "4" sticker on my board. Not a single problem.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's just a white sticker with 4 on it by PCI slot 5 though. It doesn't say rev 4 or anything. Are we sure that's the rev?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yes that's the rev number. talking to a tech guy from the place i bought it from (micropro.com) told me it was. now what was weird, is on my second board i got, it had two stickers side by side. one said 6 and the other said Rev. 3.1? it's working 100%....so far, so i'm not going to quesion anything :D