Network Applications Open Very Slow

I have a client that has windows 2003 server with Active Directory and
Windows XP and 98 workstations. All windows 98 workstations connect to the
server at a full speed without any problems. However Windows XP workstations
have tons of problems. I posted a message awhile back and was told that all
my XP workstations have to have static DNS entry pointing to the server.
That solved only one part of the problem. It used to be very slow logging on
to XP workstations but now it logges on very quickly, however all network
application take a very long time to open. I need to fix this problem ASAP.

Here is a setup of my client's network.

He has a router that controls DHCP for all workstations on the office.
There is an Active Directory Server 2003 that is an Application, Printer, and
File server. I have changed the server to 10/100 Full Duplex as well as all
workstations. I thought that would help the problem, which it did not. The
DNS server is being controlled by the router as well so the server only has
DNS for Active Directory. I didn't mass with Workstation or Group policies
so it has to be somewhere within XP or Server. Currently all XP workstations
are on Service Pack 1 and I am not planning on installing Service Pack 2
unless I absolutely have to.

If anyone has any idea's and able to help I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Where are the network apps located--locally or remotely?

Have you set up DNS forwarding?

"Network Applications Open Very Slow" <Network Applications Open Very
Slow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a client that has windows 2003 server with Active Directory and
> Windows XP and 98 workstations. All windows 98 workstations connect to
the
> server at a full speed without any problems. However Windows XP
workstations
> have tons of problems. I posted a message awhile back and was told that
all
> my XP workstations have to have static DNS entry pointing to the server.
> That solved only one part of the problem. It used to be very slow logging
on
> to XP workstations but now it logges on very quickly, however all network
> application take a very long time to open. I need to fix this problem
ASAP.

> Here is a setup of my client's network.
>
> He has a router that controls DHCP for all workstations on the office.
> There is an Active Directory Server 2003 that is an Application, Printer,
and
> File server. I have changed the server to 10/100 Full Duplex as well as
all
> workstations. I thought that would help the problem, which it did not.
The
> DNS server is being controlled by the router as well so the server only
has
> DNS for Active Directory. I didn't mass with Workstation or Group
policies
> so it has to be somewhere within XP or Server. Currently all XP
workstations
> are on Service Pack 1 and I am not planning on installing Service Pack 2
> unless I absolutely have to.
>
> If anyone has any idea's and able to help I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you,

All applications are on the server and users access them on local network. I
have pointed workstations DNS to the server, which solved the problem of slow
logon but it didn't fix application issue.
I do not have forwarding setup on the server. Should I have? The server
does not control external DNS or DHCP the router does.

Thanks for all your reply's I will try to desable SMB and see if that helps.

"gerryf" wrote:

> Where are the network apps located--locally or remotely?
>
> Have you set up DNS forwarding?
>

> "Network Applications Open Very Slow" <Network Applications Open Very
> Slow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a client that has windows 2003 server with Active Directory and
> > Windows XP and 98 workstations. All windows 98 workstations connect to
> the
> > server at a full speed without any problems. However Windows XP
> workstations
> > have tons of problems. I posted a message awhile back and was told that
> all
> > my XP workstations have to have static DNS entry pointing to the server.
> > That solved only one part of the problem. It used to be very slow logging
> on
> > to XP workstations but now it logges on very quickly, however all network
> > application take a very long time to open. I need to fix this problem
> ASAP.
> >
> > Here is a setup of my client's network.
> >
> > He has a router that controls DHCP for all workstations on the office.
> > There is an Active Directory Server 2003 that is an Application, Printer,
> and
> > File server. I have changed the server to 10/100 Full Duplex as well as
> all
> > workstations. I thought that would help the problem, which it did not.
> The
> > DNS server is being controlled by the router as well so the server only
> has
> > DNS for Active Directory. I didn't mass with Workstation or Group
> policies
> > so it has to be somewhere within XP or Server. Currently all XP
> workstations
> > are on Service Pack 1 and I am not planning on installing Service Pack 2
> > unless I absolutely have to.
> >
> > If anyone has any idea's and able to help I would really appreciate it.
> >
> > Thank you,

Al

Hi,

I facing the same issue. are your able to get any solution ??

Best regards
AL