How can I get more than 50% CPU for my program?

December 15, 2004 7:03:03 PM

I have an IBM Thinkcenter with Windows XP Pro. Whenver I run a program I can
get utmost ~50% of CPU only and the rest is used by System idle processes. If
I don't run anything system idle process is ~100%. I asked this question
before but nobody ever replied. The answers I get from general websearch is
mostly meaningless or silly. I hope atleast in Microsoft website somebody
will answer and help me to slove the problem. Thanks

More about : cpu program

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2004 8:21:46 PM

100% system idle process = my pc is doing nothing.
Your program and it's functions are entirely at the discretion of the
developer.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Joy" wrote:
|I have an IBM Thinkcenter with Windows XP Pro. Whenver I run a program I
can
| get utmost ~50% of CPU only and the rest is used by System idle processes.
If
| I don't run anything system idle process is ~100%. I asked this question
| before but nobody ever replied. The answers I get from general websearch
is
| mostly meaningless or silly. I hope atleast in Microsoft website somebody
| will answer and help me to slove the problem. Thanks
December 15, 2004 8:21:47 PM

I have two processors. I run matlab and now it is much slower then I checked
the CPU and found only one is active. It was running much faster a few weeks
before. How can I use both the processors together other than running two
programs at the same time.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> 100% system idle process = my pc is doing nothing.
> Your program and it's functions are entirely at the discretion of the
> developer.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Joy" wrote:
> |I have an IBM Thinkcenter with Windows XP Pro. Whenver I run a program I
> can
> | get utmost ~50% of CPU only and the rest is used by System idle processes.
> If
> | I don't run anything system idle process is ~100%. I asked this question
> | before but nobody ever replied. The answers I get from general websearch
> is
> | mostly meaningless or silly. I hope atleast in Microsoft website somebody
> | will answer and help me to slove the problem. Thanks

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2004 8:41:22 PM

Check with the application developer to see if multi-processor is supported.
Some apps are not.

--

"Joy" wrote:
|I have two processors. I run matlab and now it is much slower then I
checked
| the CPU and found only one is active. It was running much faster a few
weeks
| before. How can I use both the processors together other than running two
| programs at the same time.
December 16, 2004 7:19:44 AM

Hi Joy.

Sorry I don't know anything about Matlab, but applications I do know about
use several resources. The CPU offloads some of the work on other
components (e.g. video adapter, disk controller, etc.) and during this
process the CPU might spend some time waiting for output, input,
confirmations, or other processes. Since the CPU is the fastest component,
and all the others are much slower, the time that the CPU is idle is usually
over 90% of the time on most PCs.

A 50% busy rate is very high relatively speaking (relative to the long time
it usually waits for other components, communication, and processes). There
are several ways to change this (some stupid, some not ; some feasible,
some not.) Using a striped RAID array would reduce time the CPU spends
waiting (idle time) on disk I/O. Using a slower CPU (thus increasing time
the app spends running, relative to waiting) would be an example of stupid
and comical. Asking the programmer to change the program code is probably
not feasible. Using a 2nd CPU might be feasible, depending whether the app
and motherboard support it.

What a long-winded explanation. Sorry if the way I wrote this sounds overly
simplified. It's because I don't know your level of knowledge and
experience.

"Joy" <Joy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have an IBM Thinkcenter with Windows XP Pro. Whenver I run a program I can
get utmost ~50% of CPU only and the rest is used by System idle processes.
If
I don't run anything system idle process is ~100%. I asked this question
before but nobody ever replied. The answers I get from general websearch is
mostly meaningless or silly. I hope atleast in Microsoft website somebody
will answer and help me to slove the problem. Thanks
December 16, 2004 11:55:03 AM

If I run two matlab programs total cpu time is almost 100% (50 +50 on each
processors).
I can see whenever I run a program only one of the processor is becoming
active. It is just a PC running windows XP, not a parallel computer. How can
I get power of the dual processor (whatever it is) for a program. It was
working faster before. Now it is slower!

"JW" wrote:

> Hi Joy.
>
> Sorry I don't know anything about Matlab, but applications I do know about
> use several resources. The CPU offloads some of the work on other
> components (e.g. video adapter, disk controller, etc.) and during this
> process the CPU might spend some time waiting for output, input,
> confirmations, or other processes. Since the CPU is the fastest component,
> and all the others are much slower, the time that the CPU is idle is usually
> over 90% of the time on most PCs.
>
> A 50% busy rate is very high relatively speaking (relative to the long time
> it usually waits for other components, communication, and processes). There
> are several ways to change this (some stupid, some not ; some feasible,
> some not.) Using a striped RAID array would reduce time the CPU spends
> waiting (idle time) on disk I/O. Using a slower CPU (thus increasing time
> the app spends running, relative to waiting) would be an example of stupid
> and comical. Asking the programmer to change the program code is probably
> not feasible. Using a 2nd CPU might be feasible, depending whether the app
> and motherboard support it.
>
> What a long-winded explanation. Sorry if the way I wrote this sounds overly
> simplified. It's because I don't know your level of knowledge and
> experience.
>
> "Joy" <Joy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an IBM Thinkcenter with Windows XP Pro. Whenver I run a program I can
> get utmost ~50% of CPU only and the rest is used by System idle processes.
> If
> I don't run anything system idle process is ~100%. I asked this question
> before but nobody ever replied. The answers I get from general websearch is
> mostly meaningless or silly. I hope atleast in Microsoft website somebody
> will answer and help me to slove the problem. Thanks

December 16, 2004 8:10:01 PM

I am not familiar with Matlab. Better contact the vendor, and ask them if
there is any kind of program switch that allows simultaneous use of dual
processors by a single program instance.

!