I'm trying desperately to sign up with newsgroups using outlook express. I
follow the instructions given in XP for dummies and successfully set up an
account. But when i get asked if i want to download newsgroups i click yes,
i only get a few microsoft ones (such as the one i'm writing to now) arn't i
supposed to get loads covering a whole range of topics? When i click on
other news icons such as news 1, news2 etc i get "server could not be found"
can anyone shed some light please
Thanks in advance

Hi

Try the following link to Michael Stevens web site. It will show you how to
setup OE as a News Reader:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Manbreck 01" <roly01@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm trying desperately to sign up with newsgroups using outlook express. I
> follow the instructions given in XP for dummies and successfully set up an
> account. But when i get asked if i want to download newsgroups i click
> yes, i only get a few microsoft ones (such as the one i'm writing to now)
> arn't i supposed to get loads covering a whole range of topics? When i
> click on other news icons such as news 1, news2 etc i get "server could
> not be found" can anyone shed some light please
> Thanks in advance

You will only get the newgroups that are available on the server you
connected to...some have many (100,000 + news groups).

If you selected the msnews.microsoft.com server, all you will get are the
Microsoft support ones.

A newsserver can have as many or few as the administrator wants (among those
available).

"Manbreck 01" <roly01@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm trying desperately to sign up with newsgroups using outlook express. I
> follow the instructions given in XP for dummies and successfully set up an
> account. But when i get asked if i want to download newsgroups i click
yes,
> i only get a few microsoft ones (such as the one i'm writing to now) arn't
> supposed to get loads covering a whole range of topics? When i click on
> other news icons such as news 1, news2 etc i get "server could not be
found"
> can anyone shed some light please
> Thanks in advance

Have you signed up with your ISP (or a third party) for newsgroup service?
The first thing you need is an account with a newsgroup provider.
--
Ted Zieglar