Startup problem connected to Workstation service?

I'm running XP-Pro on my Centrino laptop and am experiencing startup delays -
it has recently started taking up to 5 mins to boot.
Using a process of elimination in msconfig, I've managed to identify the
problem as the Workstation service under the Services tab. It now takes the
usual 90 secs to boot when I disable the Workstation service.

Anybody know why or what the permanent solution to this is? I don't even
know what the Workstation service does! I run the laptop as a stand-alone and
it's never been connected to a network.
I've recently had issues with my AVG anti virus software and have
uninstalled this. SP2 has also been loaded

TIA

Jo

I haven't an exact answer for you, but I think I've come across this before.
When I came across it, it only affected one user on the machine, other users
could login without problem which made me think it was something associated
with that user. It might be worth trying to create a new user and see if the
probelm exists for that username.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jo

"Northerner" wrote:

> I'm running XP-Pro on my Centrino laptop and am experiencing startup delays -
> it has recently started taking up to 5 mins to boot.
> Using a process of elimination in msconfig, I've managed to identify the
> problem as the Workstation service under the Services tab. It now takes the
> usual 90 secs to boot when I disable the Workstation service.
>
> Anybody know why or what the permanent solution to this is? I don't even
> know what the Workstation service does! I run the laptop as a stand-alone and
> it's never been connected to a network.
> I've recently had issues with my AVG anti virus software and have
> uninstalled this. SP2 has also been loaded
>
> TIA

"I run the laptop as a stand-alone and it's never been connected to a
network."

The Internet is a network. Ever been connected to the Internet?

Ted Zieglar

"Northerner" <Northerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running XP-Pro on my Centrino laptop and am experiencing startup
> delays -
> it has recently started taking up to 5 mins to boot.
> Using a process of elimination in msconfig, I've managed to identify the
> problem as the Workstation service under the Services tab. It now takes
> the
> usual 90 secs to boot when I disable the Workstation service.
>
> Anybody know why or what the permanent solution to this is? I don't even
> know what the Workstation service does! I run the laptop as a stand-alone
> and
> it's never been connected to a network.
> I've recently had issues with my AVG anti virus software and have
> uninstalled this. SP2 has also been loaded
>
> TIA

Good point! Yes, I have. Any idea what's happened to cause the change?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> "I run the laptop as a stand-alone and it's never been connected to a
> network."
>
> The Internet is a network. Ever been connected to the Internet?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Northerner" <Northerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running XP-Pro on my Centrino laptop and am experiencing startup
> > delays -
> > it has recently started taking up to 5 mins to boot.
> > Using a process of elimination in msconfig, I've managed to identify the
> > problem as the Workstation service under the Services tab. It now takes
> > the
> > usual 90 secs to boot when I disable the Workstation service.
> >
> > Anybody know why or what the permanent solution to this is? I don't even
> > know what the Workstation service does! I run the laptop as a stand-alone
> > and
> > it's never been connected to a network.
> > I've recently had issues with my AVG anti virus software and have
> > uninstalled this. SP2 has also been loaded
> >
> > TIA

Yeah, I tried that when I started troubleshooting and still had the same
problem. Everything seems to be running so far so good without Workstation
being loaded as a System Service so I guess I'll have to continue like that
until I hit another problem.

Thanks for your reply

"Jo" wrote:

> I haven't an exact answer for you, but I think I've come across this before.
> When I came across it, it only affected one user on the machine, other users
> could login without problem which made me think it was something associated
> with that user. It might be worth trying to create a new user and see if the
> probelm exists for that username.
>
> Sorry I couldn't be more help.
>
> Jo
>

> "Northerner" wrote:
>
> > I'm running XP-Pro on my Centrino laptop and am experiencing startup delays -
> > it has recently started taking up to 5 mins to boot.
> > Using a process of elimination in msconfig, I've managed to identify the
> > problem as the Workstation service under the Services tab. It now takes the
> > usual 90 secs to boot when I disable the Workstation service.
> >
> > Anybody know why or what the permanent solution to this is? I don't even
> > know what the Workstation service does! I run the laptop as a stand-alone and
> > it's never been connected to a network.
> > I've recently had issues with my AVG anti virus software and have
> > uninstalled this. SP2 has also been loaded
> >
> > TIA

How about a virus or spyware?