Having poor FPS with Skyrim

samadcit

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I feel like I shouldn't be having the performance issues I am. I should be able to fly around on Ultra settings, no problem.

i5 2500k - win7 64bit
Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
OCZ Vertex2 80gb SSD

Samsung Syncmaseter 245BW

Just finished updating Nvidia graphics drivers, any idea what i should be testing next?

Check out the article on the home page about the skyrim performance on various cards on a good cpu. That should ease your mind about the shotty performance. I was surprised as well that I should be running alot faster, but is comparable to their tests and what I've researched as well.

Yes it does and yes there is, it works to keep the crashes down for me, but as far as increased performance... Not so much really. My 570 runs around where the article referenced above performs, so im not too worried about it. As long as it isn't just me, lol.

eh??? 5 fps with that set up? did you use auto update on the website or manual?

your power setting in windows is set to performance

and your nVCP has 3D graphics set to program selected or quality?

as long as your CPU is somewhere around 3ghz you should have very little problem running skyrim

I recommend you recheck everything

samadcit

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Am redoing the update manually now,

just changed the windows power setting to "High Performance"

nVCP? I'm missing something here?

Thanks for your help

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
NVCP = Nvidia control panel. Check settings in there, in 3D section, and you should have some sliders in there (I think, since I am using ATI graphics). See if settings are for quality or performance, check if the AA, AF, Vsync are set per application use or they're set automatically, usually getting your performace down, in that case.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Have you tried underclocking the GPU to "stock" 560Ti frequencies using NVCP or MSI Burner?

samadcit

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I just installed the beta drivers but they didn't seem to help. I am still very choppy at low settings. A few odd notes:

*it seems to be the same amount of choppyness on each of the settings, low, med, high, ultra
*i want to say it is a MB issue for a few reasons; one: when the system POSTs, it displays a note saying the frequency of the memory is 1333mhz, however, the stick i have are 1600, and when I go into the BIOS to manually set the memory to 1600, I can't get the thing to POST. two: after the Loading Operating System... it takes about 45seconds and does a bunch of periods (.) then finally loads.

I also just noticed that in NVCP under "Manage 3D Settings", my computer doesn't recognize that Skyrim is installed.

I am going to try underclocking the GPU, if I can figure out how to do it.

EDIT:: After some quick napkin math, im pretty sure that my PS is struggling too. 550W probably isnt going to cut it

The memory gets down clocked to 1333 because 2500k doesn't support 1600 [reference].
supposedly there's a bios update that should allow it to run 1600, but I'm not aware of the details.
seems to be the same case for the motherboard: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/staging/image/Laura/chipset-block-diagrams/P67_block-diagram_450x408.jpg

why should nvcp recognize that skyrim is installed? it's general 3d settings that will be forced on applications on hardware level (afaik). Did you install skyrim before or after updating GPU drivers? if after you might have to reinstall it for the driver to recognize that skyrim is installed