Cleaning My Register

Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my registry!
After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using the system
restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry Problem is back.

I'm Running a P2 processoer
386 Megs
2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
Win XPSp2

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg
3 answers Last reply
More about cleaning register

    Don't use a registry cleaner. You've seen what kind of damage these toys
    cause.

    Exactly what "Registry Problem" do you think you have?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:33Dwd.6$152.2@trndny01...
    > Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my
    registry!
    > After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using the system
    > restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry Problem is back.
    >
    > I'm Running a P2 processoer
    > 386 Megs
    > 2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
    > Win XPSp2
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

    Hi Greg

    May I suggest that don't 'clean' the Registry. These so called Registry
    'cleaners' can, and do, cause more problems than they are worth - as you
    have already found out!! What, exactly, is the problem with your Registry?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:33Dwd.6$152.2@trndny01...
    > Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my
    > registry! After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using
    > the system restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry
    > Problem is back.
    >
    > I'm Running a P2 processoer
    > 386 Megs
    > 2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
    > Win XPSp2
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

    Thanks for the advice. Well, my computer's been running slow. (If you look
    at the article in this group titled "Sloooooooooooooowww Computer", you can
    see where I started I've done everything recommended including clearing out
    temp files, defragging my hard drive, etc etc). I'm also get a message
    when accessing my control panels that says:

    "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file
    C:\WINDOWS\system\netsetup.cpl."

    One of the suggestions was to check the registry. Those registry utilities
    detected lot's of errors but based on your advice, I went back and
    "SystemRestored" my computer back to the point before I used these cleaners.
    So the computer's back to where it started, but i suspect the registry is
    still whacked, and it's still running a tad slow.

    Greg

    "Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:33Dwd.6$152.2@trndny01...
    > Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my
    > registry! After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using
    > the system restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry
    > Problem is back.
    >
    > I'm Running a P2 processoer
    > 386 Megs
    > 2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
    > Win XPSp2
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

Microsoft Registry Hard Drives Windows XP