  • Registry
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
December 17, 2004 6:37:35 PM

Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my registry!
After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using the system
restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry Problem is back.

I'm Running a P2 processoer
386 Megs
2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
Win XPSp2

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

More about : cleaning register

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:37:36 PM

Don't use a registry cleaner. You've seen what kind of damage these toys
cause.

Exactly what "Registry Problem" do you think you have?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:33Dwd.6$152.2@trndny01...
> Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my
registry!
> After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using the system
> restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry Problem is back.
>
> I'm Running a P2 processoer
> 386 Megs
> 2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
> Win XPSp2
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 7:05:29 PM

Hi Greg

May I suggest that don't 'clean' the Registry. These so called Registry
'cleaners' can, and do, cause more problems than they are worth - as you
have already found out!! What, exactly, is the problem with your Registry?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:33Dwd.6$152.2@trndny01...
> Hey, I ran Registry Mechanic which found some 300+ problems in my
> registry! After fixing the problems my Disk Check no longer works. Using
> the system restore fixes the Disk Check issue, but then my Registry
> Problem is back.
>
> I'm Running a P2 processoer
> 386 Megs
> 2 x 20 Gig hard Disk with 25 % Free space
> Win XPSp2
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
December 18, 2004 7:26:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. Well, my computer's been running slow. (If you look
at the article in this group titled "Sloooooooooooooowww Computer", you can
see where I started I've done everything recommended including clearing out
temp files, defragging my hard drive, etc etc). I'm also get a message
when accessing my control panels that says:

"An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file
C:\WINDOWS\system\netsetup.cpl."

One of the suggestions was to check the registry. Those registry utilities
detected lot's of errors but based on your advice, I went back and
"SystemRestored" my computer back to the point before I used these cleaners.
So the computer's back to where it started, but i suspect the registry is
still whacked, and it's still running a tad slow.

Greg

!