WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed

I am getting these error messages in XP Pro Error log:

"The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly
formatted. The bogus string is 3920, the bogus index value is the first DWORD
in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third
DWORD in Data section."

"Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl)
failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section."

Coincidentally programs are not loading with messages that my "scratch file"
is full and having multiple programs open and performing cut-paste will
sometimes cause a shutdown and a blue screen.

Antything I can do to fix the Wmi registry?
Are the "memory errors" related?
4 answers Last reply
More about wmiaprpl wmiaprpl failed

    What were you trying to do that might have caused this to happen?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "bear11" <bear11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am getting these error messages in XP Pro Error log:
    >
    > "The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly
    > formatted. The bogus string is 3920, the bogus index value is the first
    DWORD
    > in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third
    > DWORD in Data section."
    >
    > "Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl)
    > failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section."
    >
    > Coincidentally programs are not loading with messages that my "scratch
    file"
    > is full and having multiple programs open and performing cut-paste will
    > sometimes cause a shutdown and a blue screen.
    >
    > Antything I can do to fix the Wmi registry?
    > Are the "memory errors" related?

    Hello Ted, thanks for the reply.

    The Wmi error? I discovered that when p-solving the casue of the blue
    screens. I'm not sure when it started.

    The bscreens occur ex1: Msoft $ and excel are open and I have Msoft $
    generating reports: ex2: transferring files using explorer / reorganizing my
    files/folders. In both instances the action stops and the bscreen begins.
    The "scratch file full" occurred during a process involving multiple scans,
    file saves, file edits (scanner prog -> file editor -> file save).

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > What were you trying to do that might have caused this to happen?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "bear11" <bear11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am getting these error messages in XP Pro Error log:
    > >
    > > "The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly
    > > formatted. The bogus string is 3920, the bogus index value is the first
    > DWORD
    > > in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third
    > > DWORD in Data section."
    > >
    > > "Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl)
    > > failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section."
    > >
    > > Coincidentally programs are not loading with messages that my "scratch
    > file"
    > > is full and having multiple programs open and performing cut-paste will
    > > sometimes cause a shutdown and a blue screen.
    > >
    > > Antything I can do to fix the Wmi registry?
    > > Are the "memory errors" related?

    On the blue screens there are two key pieces of information:

    1) The word STOP: followed by a hexadecimal number; and
    2) The title of the error, which appears in capitals and underscores
    LIKE_THIS.

    Post back with the hexadecimal number and title that appears on the blue
    screen.

    Unless you are very knowledgable, it is best not to try to troubleshoot blue
    screen errors on your own. We can point you in the right direction.
    --

    > Hello Ted, thanks for the reply.
    >
    > The Wmi error? I discovered that when p-solving the casue of the blue
    > screens. I'm not sure when it started.
    >
    > The bscreens occur ex1: Msoft $ and excel are open and I have Msoft $
    > generating reports: ex2: transferring files using explorer / reorganizing
    my
    > files/folders. In both instances the action stops and the bscreen
    begins.
    > The "scratch file full" occurred during a process involving multiple
    scans,
    > file saves, file edits (scanner prog -> file editor -> file save).
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > What were you trying to do that might have caused this to happen?
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >

    > > "bear11" <bear11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am getting these error messages in XP Pro Error log:
    > > >
    > > > "The performance counter name string value in the registry is
    incorrectly
    > > > formatted. The bogus string is 3920, the bogus index value is the
    first
    > > DWORD
    > > > in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and
    third
    > > > DWORD in Data section."
    > > >
    > > > "Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl
    (WmiApRpl)
    > > > failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section."
    > > >
    > > > Coincidentally programs are not loading with messages that my "scratch
    > > file"
    > > > is full and having multiple programs open and performing cut-paste
    will
    > > > sometimes cause a shutdown and a blue screen.
    > > >
    > > > Antything I can do to fix the Wmi registry?
    > > > Are the "memory errors" related?

    good advice. I'll get the info the next time it happens.

    Here are the codes for the Wmi problem - I was able to find those:

    Exception Information
    Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
    Record: 0x0000000000000000 Adress: 0x00000000728348e7

    From Event Properties: Event ID: 3001

    Words: 0000: 00000f50 00000f4e 00000f4f 00000297

    Again, thank you for the reply!

Performance Windows XP