Sign in with
Your question

Will my system run W8?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
October 29, 2012 12:05:38 AM

since they have a very sweet deal on microsoft.com for Windows 8 for 40$ download i'm thinking of upgrading from a XP PRO 32bit

My specs:

MOBO: XFX i780 SLI

Graphics: GTX 260 from BFG tech(i know its old)

CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz(planning on OC to 3.2)

Ram: 8 gigs unknown brand

PSU: Antec 550w (80 bronze)

Case: Antec 180(you don't need to know this)

More about : system run

a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 12:10:23 AM

Hi :) 

Yes

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 12:57:06 AM

Yes, you're rig will run it. The bigger question is whether it's worth it or not. Personally, I'm sticking with 7 until microsoft get their act together sort 8 and release a viable upgrade to 7.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 1:08:09 AM

pauls3743 said:
Yes, you're rig will run it. The bigger question is whether it's worth it or not. Personally, I'm sticking with 7 until microsoft get their act together sort 8 and release a viable upgrade to 7.

Hi :) 

Snap...lol

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:06:47 AM

Well, he has XP right now, so I think it is worth the upgrade.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 3:22:14 AM

voiidwulf said:
Well, he has XP right now, so I think it is worth the upgrade.

^ this. No one should be using XP at this point. I believe pro.includes downgrade rights to windows 7 though
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:42:26 AM

go with win 7 and wait for win 9... :D 

well, i dont know why...but windows with even number usually a flaw..
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:54:36 AM

go with 8 its faster and newer then 7, no point and buying an already outdated os

everyone that doesn't like 8 has never used it and just follows the crowd -- ignore them

if you have XP dump that i feel sorry for you
m
l
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 4:05:32 AM

"everyone that doesn't like 8 has never used it and just follows the crowd" I don't like and I have used it I don't like it on my desktop or laptop, however it does work nicely on my tablet, but that's the only place I would use it. Win 8's metro interface with a mouse and keyboard is a joke I don't care how much faster it's suppose to be I never noticed a difference it boot times, load times, or application performance
m
l
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 4:11:07 AM

bignastyid said:
"everyone that doesn't like 8 has never used it and just follows the crowd" I don't like and I have used it I don't like it on my desktop or laptop, however it does work nicely on my tablet, but that's the only place I would use it. Win 8's metro interface with a mouse and keyboard is a joke I don't care how much faster it's suppose to be I never noticed a difference it boot times, load times, or application performance

I'm not sure how anyone can say it's a joke, it's extremely easy to use and fast. I've used Windows since it was created and I think Windows 8 is great; it's just changing. I do think Microsoft should have added an option during installation to choose between Metro or the Start Menu for a primary.

@Son-Of-A-QA You can download a program called "Start8(I use it)," it restores the Start Menu on Windows 8 and works perfectly if you're not happy with metro, it makes Metro optional. It's only a $5 dollar purchase, it has a 30 day trial too.

Don't worry Windows 8 will run great on your system, it's light weight; plus it's cheaper than Windows 7.
m
l
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 4:33:52 AM

Quaddro said:
go with win 7 and wait for win 9... :D 

well, i dont know why...but windows with even number usually a flaw..

2000 was/is awesome!

@OP i would suggest going with win7 and wait for the next OS.
m
l
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 9:35:46 AM

apache_lives said:

everyone that doesn't like 8 has never used it and just follows the crowd -- ignore them

Actually I have been using 8 on and off since DP was released - I don't like it because the interface is designed for touch devices, using it with a mouse and keyboard is a pain in the arse requiring far more input to get things done than the previous Windows GUIs.

m
l
October 29, 2012 10:14:40 AM

just a thought - if the version of win 8 comes with downgrade rights, why not let the op decide through personal experience? install win 8, if he doesn't like it > downgrade to 7, all is good. opinions on win8 are pretty wide & varied due to the new UI. personally i'm not a fan but i guess that's due to being used to traditional style of windows (smart phones also irritate me)
m
l
October 29, 2012 6:04:51 PM

Yeah, now i am definety going with 8 since i can get it a windows.com for only 40 bucks to download and 80 shipped

And thank you all for the positive feedback :D  and you guys with the negitive ones :non: 
m
l
October 29, 2012 6:40:03 PM

Son-Of-A-QA said:
Yeah, now i am definety going with 8 since i can get it a windows.com for only 40 bucks to download and 80 shipped

And thank you all for the positive feedback :D  and you guys with the negitive ones :non: 

The only thing I'd double-check is whether there are 64-bit drivers for your board. Early NForce chipsets had their fair share of software and driver issues so check if there are Windows 7 drivers. Otherwise, I'd go for it - $40 is nothing compared to the regular retail price. If I still had my machine from work with me, also a Q6600, it would have been rocking 8 in no time at all.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
October 29, 2012 6:45:17 PM

One thing to mention is when you use upgrade assistant you will not be able to go from 32bit to 64bit. So it will give you a 32bit Windows 8 installation.
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:29:14 PM

could i just do a clean installion cause i need the 64bit format sinc emy video card is bottlenecking my RAM a 2.75 GB which sucks if you're gaming at 1650x1050 on a 23"
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 5, 2012 9:59:24 PM

Yes, you can do a clean installation, but if your using 32bit to buy the operating system, it will give you a 32bit installation.
m
l
!