Graphics

saturnsown

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
So, here is my problem.....lately while doing anything on my PC that requires any type of rendering (from Modern Warfare 3 to DC Online) I have been running into a bunch of different shall we saying graphic oddities....discolorations, tears, textures gone or out of place....on and on....I have Nvidia 460 GTX, but a AMD Athlon X64 X2.....I guess may first question is are the graphical oddities a result of the well aged CPU?

saturnsown

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Oh I am sorry I forgot to mention I have the latest Nvidia drivers, I admit partly because Need for Speed the Run is pissy about having the latest drivers but I made sure I had the latest when all this started happening....if anything things got worse since the new drivers......not sure about the mobo drivers but that is aged too, so I am not sure if there are new drivers.

so you want the House MD approach, how to fix without figuring out the cause?

lets take a specific case, which one was pissy? NFS:TR? good, for once developers made sure to tell the masses that they need updated drivers to play latest games.

anyhow, what resolution and game settings did you run the game at? what were the load values for CPU/GPU? how about temperatures?
do artifacts happen in consistent places or random textures being messed up/missing/etc or do the artifacts persist only with a few games?

saturnsown

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I usually have been running at medium settings the graphics card seems more than happy to run at high but CPU seems less happy about it.....the graphics look great but run a tad slow. The resolution I use is either at or right near 1280x1024 on near everything. Artifacts are in everything I have played lately.....and they seem to be pretty random places and random in appearance (my favorite was when the screen in DC Online turned bright neon green). The GPU's load is 40% and the CPU's load is between 65% - 70%. Which temp would you like, I use SpeedFan and it lists all the temps at or below very happy.

Please tell me that helps with figuring out the problem.

ok, so usually you run 1280x1024 on medium settings. how about AA/AF? what about if you turn the graphics down to lowest but keep the resolution, do the artifacts go away or persist? what about if you crank up the AA/AF to the max? (normally your GPU load should go up significantly but processor should stay about the same)

the temps that are helpful are CPU package, GPU and any other ones you got sensors on except maybe HDD those usually don't have problems with cooling.

in the past have you ever experienced the computer shutdown or reboot on you while playing video games or doing intensive tasks? any BSODs? you might be experiencing deterioration due to past thermal dmg

mobo drivers you should check on the manufacturer website, if there's no new revisions that's fine but you should make sure that you're running current

also, you're saying that graphical artifacts started happening after installing latest nvidia drivers?

saturnsown

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
What should the AA be at? When I set it I usually put it to X2. What should AF be at? I never touch it.

CPU, GPU, and all other temps are happy according to speedfan.

No, past shutdowns not on account of heat anyway....due to dying hardware no BSODs.

Looking for mobo drivers currently.....what am I looking for? BIOS updates....and all that? Should mention that on the website the most recent Windows version listed on website is Vista for my mobo, so I think I am up to date :p

And the graphical artifacts appeared before the latest drivers I installed yesterday but I am noticing them in more games after the new drivers.

TRENDING THREADS