steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

To All:

In Msconfig, I have obsolete entries for software that is no longer on
my PC. I am running WinXP SP2. I could not find some in the Registry.

How do I cleanup/remove these entries?

Thanks,

Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If you are certain that you don't need the entries and you are certain that
the corresponding programs have been correctly and completely uninstalled,
you will need to manually remove the items from the Run keys of the
registry.

"A Definition of the Run Keys in the Windows XP Registry"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314866

Editing the registry is risky business, and there is no 'undo' function.
Always create a restore point before attempting to edit the registry. And
don't do anything that you're not completely sure about.

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> If you are certain that you don't need the entries and you are certain
> that the corresponding programs have been correctly and completely
> uninstalled, you will need to manually remove the items from the Run
> keys of the registry.
>
> "A Definition of the Run Keys in the Windows XP Registry"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314866
>
> Editing the registry is risky business, and there is no 'undo' function.
> Always create a restore point before attempting to edit the registry.
> And don't do anything that you're not completely sure about.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Steve" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message
>
>> To All:
>>
>> In Msconfig, I have obsolete entries for software that is no longer on
>> my PC. I am running WinXP SP2. I could not find some in the Registry.
>>
>> How do I cleanup/remove these entries?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

Ted:

Thanks for the Re. I've got it under control.

Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Here's a freeware utility that you may want to consider using in addition to
msconfig. It, unlike msconfig, can also delete those orphaned or malware type
entries.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

--
Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

Eric McG wrote:
> Here's a freeware utility that you may want to consider using in addition to
> msconfig. It, unlike msconfig, can also delete those orphaned or malware type
> entries.
>
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Eric:

Thank you for the RE. I am familiar with Mike Lin's product. I prefer

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

Which does the same and more.

Steve

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Steve,

Added info:

Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)

Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit

Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

--
Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

Kelly wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Added info:
>
> Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)
>
> Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
>
> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

Kelly:

Thanks for the Re. I got the problem under control.

Steve

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Most welcome. Just a script to keep in mind. :eek:)

--

"Steve H" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Added info:
>>
>> Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)
>>
>> Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>>
>> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>>
> Kelly:
>
> Thanks for the Re. I got the problem under control.
>
> Steve

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

> "Steve H" <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote in message
>
> I never found the cleanup you're talking about at that website but did
> find this:
>
> "A very big restore point will have been made. Once a new regular size
> one has been made in the ordinary way, clean up by going to
> Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup
> and in 'More Options' click the bottom button to remove all but the most
> recent restore point."
>
> I have WXP-Home/SP2 and tried to follow this advice from that website.
> However there are no "More Options" when I click on "Disk-Cleanup."
> The only option is C:. How and where is this "More Options" turned
> on or made to appear as an option?
>
> FS~

Click ok in that window. It does a scan then comes up with another
dialog window that has two tabs, one of which is "More Options". You
might want to investigate possibilities - it's the best way to learn.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>> ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
>>

>>> I have WXP-Home/SP2 and tried to follow this advice from that
>>> website. However there are no "More Options" when I click on
>>> "Disk-Cleanup." The only option is C:. How and where is this
>>> "More Options" turned on or made to appear as an option?
>>>
>>> FS~
>
> ===================>
>
>> Click ok in that window. It does a scan then comes up with another
>> dialog window that has two tabs, one of which is "More Options". You
>> might want to investigate possibilities - it's the best way to learn.
>

> OK found it and also came across the well know Add/Remove all programs.
> However,... when I removed the old Adobe 5 it seaid some components must
> be removed by hand. I couldn't FIND them anywhere to remove. Also I
> tried to UNINSTALL severl games that came on the PC and they will not
> uninstall from Add/Remove all Programs. When I click on them it says to
> remove them *from* Add/Remove all Programs - *I'm doing it from
> there!!!!!* How then are these unwanted programs removed?
>
> FS~

If a program won't uninstall one option is to reinstall it, in the hope
that some file was missing and the reinstall returns that file, then
uninstall it. If that doesn't work look in the program's folder entry
in All Programs from the Start Menu and see if there is an uninstall
option. If so take that. Next option is contact the tech support for
the program to see what they say. Lastly is the brute force uninstall
method. Search the drive for the folder where it is installed. Note
all program files and the dates of installation. Search the drive for
any copies of those same files and for any files installed on the same
date. Investigate their origins by looking at the properties to see if
they may be part of the same install. Search the registry for all
references to those files, and for references to the program name,
install directory, vendor name and anything else you can think of to
identify registry entries associated with that program. Delete what you
think is safe to delete - files, foldes and registry entries. Make sure
you have a backup of the registry using ERUNT, and a backup of your
system. There is nothing more specific I can give you. If you don't
feel comfortable doing all this take it to a competent computer tech.

Sandman

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If I understand you correctly, you can go to the link I have included and
download a small VBS file that will allow you to delete from msconfig, those
items you do not want to appear... Be careful and read it before you do
anything...
It is really simple nevertheless....
As for removing Programs you seem unable to delete, go into SAFE mode and do
it from there...
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/msconfigdisabled.vbs line 148...

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
> >>
> >> I have WXP-Home/SP2 and tried to follow this advice from that website.
> >> However there are no "More Options" when I click on "Disk-Cleanup."
The
> >> only option is C:. How and where is this "More Options" turned on
or
> >> made to appear as an option?
> >>
> >> FS~
> ===================>
> > Click ok in that window. It does a scan then comes up with another
dialog
> > window that has two tabs, one of which is "More Options". You might
want
> > to investigate possibilities - it's the best way to learn.
>
> OK found it and also came across the well know Add/Remove all programs.
> However,... when I removed the old Adobe 5 it seaid some components must
be
> removed by hand. I couldn't FIND them anywhere to remove. Also I tried
> UNINSTALL severl games that came on the PC and they will not uninstall
from
> Add/Remove all Programs. When I click on them it says to remove them
*from*
> Add/Remove all Programs - *I'm doing it from there!!!!!* How then are
these
> unwanted programs removed?
>
> FS~

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

> ## ERUNT? See, another person here suggested I buy a book - I have a
> book and there's no mention of ERUNT.
>
> and a backup of your
>
>> system.
>

> ## My book just covers system tray & system restore. I'll Google
> "system backup."

You probably won't find ERUNT in a book. Here is a link to it:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

For backup there are several options. One type is an imaging program.
It makes a complete image of the hard drive. This can be saved on an
external hard drive or burned to DVD. Backups should be made to an
external device. Rather than to another internal hard drive. A system
event could damage both drives making the backup useless. Restores are
done of the whole drive image or individual folders/files. This is a
good way to backup the system because it makes it easy to restore the
whole system in case of a major calamity. Examples of this type are
Symantec Ghost, Acronis True Image and BootItNG.

The other type is a traditional backup program that will backup files
and folders. There are numerous good ones. Stompsoft's Backup MyPC is
excellent though pricey.

You should always have a current backup. It's not a matter of if but
when data loss occurs. Don't put yourself in the position of posting
here saying help help the system crashed and I lost everything.

> Bad programming. Which apps are they? In the meantime:

## Blackhawk Striker 86.70 MB
Dark Orbit 11.63 MB
Disney Stitch Pinball 86.70 MB
Gem Master 2.15 MB

I can't find them anywhere on my PC but they're still showing in the
Add/Remove Programs window.

> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

## I'm going to check out this site. Thanks! :)

FS~

> --
> Happy Holidays,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks for the feedback....follow my list of procedures and good luck!

--

>> Bad programming. Which apps are they? In the meantime:
>
> ## Blackhawk Striker 86.70 MB
> Dark Orbit 11.63 MB
> Disney Stitch Pinball 86.70 MB
> Gem Master 2.15 MB
>
> I can't find them anywhere on my PC but they're still showing in the
> Add/Remove Programs window.
>
>> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
>
> ## I'm going to check out this site. Thanks! :)
>
> FS~
>
>> --
>> Happy Holidays,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

> Bad programming. Which apps are they? In the meantime:
>
> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
====================================
This is from the above website. Please note the information from this site
doesn't seem to apply to my version of WXP-HomeSp2. The programs I want to
remove from Add/Remove Programs do not show up in the Registry although they
show up in the Add/Remove Programs window. There are no keys or subkeys for
the programs/games I listed in my other post.

Msconfig also has programs listed I got rid of ages ago.

FS~

==== Cut & Paste from the site:

Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Each program listed in Add/Remove Programs has a subkey listed here. Locate
the correct subkey for the program in question and right click it, then
select Delete. You may want to choose Export, first, to export the key to a
REG file. The REG file can be re-imported if you find you made a mistake.

You may have to contact the manufacturer of the program that you want to
remove if you need to clean up the disk and registry entries. The procedure
described in this section does not remove all the files and registry entries
used by the program; it removes only the reference in the Add/Remove
Programs tool.

Note: Other checkpoints to consider when trying to remove a

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I know the write-up and site well, as it is mine.

--

>> Bad programming. Which apps are they? In the meantime:
>>
>> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
> ====================================
> This is from the above website. Please note the information from this
> site doesn't seem to apply to my version of WXP-HomeSp2. The programs I
> want to remove from Add/Remove Programs do not show up in the Registry
> although they show up in the Add/Remove Programs window. There are no
> keys or subkeys for the programs/games I listed in my other post.
>
> Msconfig also has programs listed I got rid of ages ago.
>
> FS~
>
> ==== Cut & Paste from the site:
>
> Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
> Start/Run/Regedit
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> Each program listed in Add/Remove Programs has a subkey listed here.
> Locate the correct subkey for the program in question and right click it,
> then select Delete. You may want to choose Export, first, to export the
> key to a REG file. The REG file can be re-imported if you find you made a
> mistake.
>
> You may have to contact the manufacturer of the program that you want to
> remove if you need to clean up the disk and registry entries. The
> procedure described in this section does not remove all the files and
> registry entries used by the program; it removes only the reference in the
> Add/Remove Programs tool.
>
> Note: Other checkpoints to consider when trying to remove a

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

:)

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:%23TRIlJL7EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> typed:
> I know the write-up and site well, as it is mine.
>

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Bad programming. Which apps are they? In the meantime:
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
>> ====================================
>> This is from the above website. Please note the information from
>> this site doesn't seem to apply to my version of WXP-HomeSp2. The
>> programs I want to remove from Add/Remove Programs do not show up in
>> the Registry although they show up in the Add/Remove Programs
>> window. There are no keys or subkeys for the programs/games I
>> listed in my other post.
>>
>> Msconfig also has programs listed I got rid of ages ago.
>>
>> FS~
>>
>> ==== Cut & Paste from the site:
>>
>> Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs
>> Tool Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> Each program listed in Add/Remove Programs has a subkey listed here.
>> Locate the correct subkey for the program in question and right
>> click it, then select Delete. You may want to choose Export, first,
>> to export the key to a REG file. The REG file can be re-imported if
>> you find you made a mistake.
>>
>> You may have to contact the manufacturer of the program that you
>> want to remove if you need to clean up the disk and registry
>> entries. The procedure described in this section does not remove all
>> the files and registry entries used by the program; it removes only
>> the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool.
>>
>> Note: Other checkpoints to consider when trying to remove a

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

<LOL>, Jim. <w>