G

O.K guys I need some big help here. =( I have just bought a Tyan Tiger MP and yup you guessed it...she no work
I can see the inital screen where it displays:

1) 512Mb ram (Reg'd)
2) athlon 1400 ( I'm only using 1 cpu at the moment installed in socket CPU0 )
3) 60Gb Quantum Fireball
4) LG 16x8x32 CDR

And that's as far as it gets. You can still see all the devices listed, but it just sits there. There are no beep codes...nothing. It will not read a boot floppy or a bootable cd. I have checked and rechecked the IDE cables...all are fine. If I push [F2] to go into the bios..it won't. It just sits there and says " Entering setup... " .

I have tried switching the cpu socket, and still teh same results . =(
Oh...I'm also starting out with *NO* OS installed on the primary hard drive.

Plz...somebody throw me a bone. I could raelly use the *much* apperciated help. =(

System Specs ( So far )
==============

- Tyan Tiger MP
- (1) Athlon MP 1.4Ghz
- 512Mb Reg'd DDR
- 60Gb Quantum Fireball 7200
- Enermax EG451P-VE - 450 Watt ATX
- Antec SX1030B Tower Case

G

I would reset the cmos then start from scratch. Only put in bare essentials. one at a time and try and boot, then with just ram, video and cpu, try and get into the bios. Go with the bare miumum one step at a time.

This is going to soud dumb and obvious, but is the ram in the right slot. Many boards will not boot unless the ram is in the number 1 dimm slot. Small things like that need to be looked at.

I just built a tiger mp system this week. I put in 1700 XP chips. There were a few problems, but over all it went really smooth. For example I had 1024 megs of registered ram, but only 256 showed up. I had to take them all out and put them in one at a time, starting up each time and it would recognize them that way.

Besides that I would get system hang going into the OS after I formated, I could only get in in safe more and that was after a long wait. But that was because I had a bazillion different cards and a few were conflicting like my 2nd video card (for dual monitor support). Took that out and it was butta. Boot up just fine no worries what so ever.

Hope this helps a bit.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dan_Rather on 11/15/01 09:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I believe you have to use two processors. You can't just use one.

G

Actually using just one should be fine. I've read up on that cause I considered going with just one at 1st and all the places I've checked, and fourms I've been to, there doesn't seem to be a problem w/ using a single processor.

i'd go with Dan_Rather's idea. Go with that. If it still doens't work sounds like a defective BIOS, OR you do not have a Operating system installed AND have the floppy cables on backwards :) .... if the floppy light stays lit then it's on backwards.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here is another thing about Tyan Boards, MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION BOOK:). There are a lot of little things with Tyan boards, like making sure the LED's are in the right place, placing the RAM in the right socket, getting a powerful enough PS (400 W would be recommended)and a few other small things that even I after building them numerous times, still forget to do. If you stil have problems, let us know and we would love to help you, and whatever you do, don't go out and spend thousands of $$$ on computer classes only to find out that you didn't connect the LED's right (this happened to a friend of mine:)

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Go to www.tyan.com and browse to your MB manual as there may
be an addendum with new info and error corrections. I own two older Tomcats' and almost had a similar experience as the original user manual contained bad info (typo) for two jumpers in the jumper cfg chapter of the manual.