Cannot schedule chkdsk

I need to check my disks; Windows XP Professional even tells me that and
tries to run a chkdsk at boot time. I can even use the run command to
execute chkdsk (or schedule one to run at the next reboot). The problem is,
it NEVER executes. I get the blue screen announcing that the disk has been
scheduled for a maintenance check, followed by a blurb about cancelling it
striking any key. Even though I never touch the keyboard, somehow time after
time, the job gets cancelled. I cannot determine what I need to do to get
the thing to run! It seems as though something is stepping on this program
but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.
19 answers Last reply
More about cannot schedule chkdsk

    If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be
    in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is
    online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume
    and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or
    because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when
    the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

    When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
    file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
    service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
    Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded. So
    check the application event log for details.

    If you get an error something to the effect "cannot open volume for direct
    access" There is some system/boot start device that is reading/writing to
    the drive before chkdsk can get a lock on the drive. Some anti-virus
    applications do this.

    You can also run
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP CD-Rom
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note: If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "hardy" wrote:
    |I need to check my disks; Windows XP Professional even tells me that and
    | tries to run a chkdsk at boot time. I can even use the run command to
    | execute chkdsk (or schedule one to run at the next reboot). The problem
    is,
    | it NEVER executes. I get the blue screen announcing that the disk has
    been
    | scheduled for a maintenance check, followed by a blurb about cancelling it
    | striking any key. Even though I never touch the keyboard, somehow time
    after
    | time, the job gets cancelled. I cannot determine what I need to do to get
    | the thing to run! It seems as though something is stepping on this
    program
    | but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    A couple of hints about the recovery console:

    Be default, it requires the PC's administator password and by default it can
    only access the windows directoies. However, you can change that, but to do
    so the PC must be bootable into the windows desktop. Assuming ythat you can
    get there, use REGEDIT to make the following changes:

    Instead, just run REGEDIT and change two things that appear on the same
    page:

    Start à Run à Regedit

    Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\
    RecoveryConsole

    Set the DWORD SetCommand value to 1

    Then, once in the recovery console, use its SET command to allow access to
    more of the hard drive:

    set AllowAllPaths = true

    If the recovery coonsole won't load, ask yourself whether the XP CD you are
    using matches the service pack level of the XP installed on the PC (i.e.,
    original or SP1 or SP2). I have heard of problems if the level of the CD is
    older than that of the installation. The way to get an up-to-date CD is to
    "slipstream" the original CD with the latest service patch installed on the
    PC. For this I recommend the nLite auto-slipstreamer. Just do not use its
    full potential, whihc can also exclude parts of XP. Its defaults will merge
    everthing from the service pack into the CD, make an ISO image, which you
    then burn to CD using somehting like Easy CD Creator or Nero, not the XP
    default software. This slipstreamed CD can be made on another PC, just be
    sure to you the right version (home/pro) and the right SP:

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Finally, you can have the power of the recovery console and more, by making
    a BartPE bootable CDROM. This takes parts of XP, plus some freeware and
    makes its own operating system, without the restrictions of the recovery
    console. One of its default capabilities is to do a CHKDSK. (Hint: Bart's
    GO button is like the XP Start button.)

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/index.php?p=1

    "hardy" <hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to check my disks; Windows XP Professional even tells me that and
    > tries to run a chkdsk at boot time. I can even use the run command to
    > execute chkdsk (or schedule one to run at the next reboot). The problem
    > is,
    > it NEVER executes. I get the blue screen announcing that the disk has
    > been
    > scheduled for a maintenance check, followed by a blurb about cancelling it
    > striking any key. Even though I never touch the keyboard, somehow time
    > after
    > time, the job gets cancelled. I cannot determine what I need to do to get
    > the thing to run! It seems as though something is stepping on this
    > program
    > but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    FYI this isn't necessary. In order to have access to other folders you need
    to have;
    Control Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy Recovery console:"Allow
    floppy copy and access to all drives/folders" set to enabled.

    The service pack versions could be an issue if starting the RC from the
    system drive's cmdcons folder. Starting the RC from the CD-Rom though
    shouldn't make a difference.

    --

    "Bob Harris" wrote:
> [...]
    | >I need to check my disks; Windows XP Professional even tells me that and
    | > tries to run a chkdsk at boot time. I can even use the run command to
    | > execute chkdsk (or schedule one to run at the next reboot). The problem
    | > is,
    | > it NEVER executes. I get the blue screen announcing that the disk has
    | > been
    | > scheduled for a maintenance check, followed by a blurb about cancelling
    it
    | > striking any key. Even though I never touch the keyboard, somehow time
    | > after
    | > time, the job gets cancelled. I cannot determine what I need to do to
    get
    | > the thing to run! It seems as though something is stepping on this
    | > program
    | > but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    Well, I opened my mouth and publicly revealed the extent of my stupidity!
    Without your help, I guess I would have been searching a long time for that
    Application Event Log! I admire and appreciate the patience you demonstrate
    when addressing people far less conversant in operating systems. As you
    suspected, my side-issue difficulties with getting into Recovery Console
    stemmed from running from c:\cmdcons rather than the XP CD. The problem was
    solved by using the CD and it did not require "slipstreaming" the CD as
    another gentleman suggested. Thus, I have been able to run chkdsk.
    Regarding why it doesn't run from Autochk is still a mystery I very much wish
    to solve. Checking that Application Event Log revealed the following: under
    Applications, there is an error from SecurityCenter, event ID 1802, which
    reads, "The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event
    queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall."
    Interestingly, this is immediately followed by the informational message from
    SecurityCenter, event ID 1800, which reads, "The Windows Security Center
    Service has started." I do not know if I am getting off track here or not,
    but after confirming that I was reading the event log in the correct
    chronological order, did the error cause Security Center to stop and then
    restart, or was the fact that it had not yet started the real cause of my
    error? Checking further, I looked under System events and found three
    entries, the first two of which are identical: Error, ntsf, event ID 55,
    category disk, which reads, "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt
    and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F:." The third
    message is a warning from dchp, event ID 1007, which has to do with the
    system automatically configuring the IP address for the network card because
    it did not receive an expected timely response from somebody (I am assuming
    that this event is unrelated...but maybe not). It would then appear that you
    were correct as originally claimed, that a third party firewall or antivirus
    is grabbing the disk before the chkdsk can run. Now, in an attempt to test,
    I completely uninstalled both my firewall and antivirus programs and received
    the same results. Again asssuming, I am wondering if this is because these
    programs often replace system DLL files that remain as residual after an
    uninstall. Part of my interest in solving this problem is that even after
    running chkidsk in Recovery Console, the disk remains flagged as corrupt. Do
    you have any further advice on how I can solve this annoying problem?
    Although someone can no doubt offer me a way of going in and manually
    twiddling this bit to indicate that the disk is now OK, this is not a long
    term solution and I'll be right back in the same place the next time my
    machine freezes or I have a power hit. Thank you again for your helpfulness
    and your patience with my foolish questions.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > | >I need to check my disks; Windows XP Professional even tells me that and
    > | > tries to run a chkdsk at boot time. I can even use the run command to
    > | > execute chkdsk (or schedule one to run at the next reboot). The problem
    > | > is,
    > | > it NEVER executes. I get the blue screen announcing that the disk has
    > | > been
    > | > scheduled for a maintenance check, followed by a blurb about cancelling
    > it
    > | > striking any key. Even though I never touch the keyboard, somehow time
    > | > after
    > | > time, the job gets cancelled. I cannot determine what I need to do to
    > get
    > | > the thing to run! It seems as though something is stepping on this
    > | > program
    > | > but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    When you view the logged events in Event Viewer in the upper right corner,
    third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
    a reply message.

    Please do so for each of the different System Log events since last boot so
    we can see all of the event detail.

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
> [...]
    received
    | the same results. Again asssuming, I am wondering if this is because
    these
    | programs often replace system DLL files that remain as residual after an
    | uninstall. Part of my interest in solving this problem is that even after
    | running chkidsk in Recovery Console, the disk remains flagged as corrupt.
    Do
    | you have any further advice on how I can solve this annoying problem?
    | Although someone can no doubt offer me a way of going in and manually
    | twiddling this bit to indicate that the disk is now OK, this is not a long
    | term solution and I'll be right back in the same place the next time my
    | machine freezes or I have a power hit. Thank you again for your
    helpfulness
    | and your patience with my foolish questions.

    OK thanks. Here are the items under System, in chronological order. There
    are 23 items.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6009
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:54 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6005
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:54 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Event log service was started.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: bcm4sbxp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:32 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    ASUSTeK/Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller: Network controller
    configured for 10Mb full-duplex link.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 5a 00 ......Z.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 05 40 .......@
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Ntfs
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 55
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:49 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
    the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.

    Data:
    0000: 0d 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Ntfs
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 55
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:49 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
    the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.

    Data:
    0000: 0d 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:54:57 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network
    Card with network address 00E018B54D97. The IP address being used is
    169.254.61.69.

    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7036
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7035
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Fast User Switching Compatibility service was successfully sent a start
    control.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Fast User Switching Compatibility service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Telephony service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: HARDYX\Paul M. Blake
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The SAVRT service was successfully sent a start control.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Norton Unerase Protection Driver service was successfully sent a start

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:45 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:45 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:56:16 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:56:19 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:56:19 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:56:26 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: RemoteAccess
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20158
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:56:38 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The user xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx successfully established a connection to DSL
    Connection using the device PPPoE7-0.

    OK - that's it, at least for the items under the System tab. You are
    probably just as interested in seeing the events logged under Applications,
    but because there are more of them, I'll post this first and then start
    working on those. Thanks again.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > received
    > | the same results. Again asssuming, I am wondering if this is because
    > these
    > | programs often replace system DLL files that remain as residual after an
    > | uninstall. Part of my interest in solving this problem is that even after
    > | running chkidsk in Recovery Console, the disk remains flagged as corrupt.
    > Do
    > | you have any further advice on how I can solve this annoying problem?
    > | Although someone can no doubt offer me a way of going in and manually
    > | twiddling this bit to indicate that the disk is now OK, this is not a long
    > | term solution and I'll be right back in the same place the next time my
    > | machine freezes or I have a power hit. Thank you again for your
    > helpfulness
    > | and your patience with my foolish questions.

    Here are the events under the Applications tab; there are 21 of them.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: UPHClean
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1201
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:52:05 PM
    User: HARDYX\XXXX X. XXXXX
    Computer: HARDYX
    The following handles in user profile hive HARDYX\XXXX X. XXXXX
    (S-1-5-21-515967899-1770027372-839522115-1003) have been closed because they
    were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

    svchost.exe (868)
    HKCU (0x1f0)

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:52:10 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuauclt (2212) The database engine 5.01.2600.2180 started.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 102
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:52:10 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuaueng.dll (2212) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new
    instance (0).

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ccSetMgr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:57 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application starting

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SNDSrvc
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:58 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application starting

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SPBBCSvc
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:58 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    Service started

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ccSetMgr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:58 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application started

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ccEvtMgr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:59 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application starting

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SNDSrvc
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:53:59 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application started

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ccEvtMgr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:54:00 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application started

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: NPFMntor
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:54:59 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application starting

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: NPFMntor
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:54:59 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    Application started

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: NProtectService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:00 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: HARDYX
    The service was started.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: UPHClean
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:03 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    User profile hive cleanup service version 1.5.5.21 started successfully.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuauclt (2260) The database engine 5.01.2600.2180 started.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 102
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuaueng.dll (2260) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new
    instance (0).

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SecurityCenter
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1802
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries
    with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

    Data:
    0000: 0e 10 04 80 ...€

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SecurityCenter
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1800
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 02:55:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    The Windows Security Center Service has started.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Ci
    Event Category: CI Service
    Event ID: 4137
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 03:01:18 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    CI has started for catalog c:\system volume information\catalog.wci.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 103
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 03:01:21 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuaueng.dll (2260) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the
    instance (0).

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 101
    Date: 12/20/2004
    Time: 03:01:21 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARDYX
    wuauclt (2260) The database engine stopped.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > received
    > | the same results. Again asssuming, I am wondering if this is because
    > these
    > | programs often replace system DLL files that remain as residual after an
    > | uninstall. Part of my interest in solving this problem is that even after
    > | running chkidsk in Recovery Console, the disk remains flagged as corrupt.
    > Do
    > | you have any further advice on how I can solve this annoying problem?
    > | Although someone can no doubt offer me a way of going in and manually
    > | twiddling this bit to indicate that the disk is now OK, this is not a long
    > | term solution and I'll be right back in the same place the next time my
    > | machine freezes or I have a power hit. Thank you again for your
    > helpfulness
    > | and your patience with my foolish questions.

    It might be possible the pagefile is corrupt. Do you have another drive you
    can move it to temporararily? If not this article may help.

    The DHCP error just means there is no DHCP server available on your network.

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
    | OK thanks. Here are the items under System, in chronological order.
    There
    | are 23 items.
    | Event Type: Error
    | Event Source: Ntfs
    | Event Category: Disk
    | Event ID: 55
    | Date: 12/20/2004
    | Time: 02:53:49 PM
    | User: N/A
    | Computer: HARDYX
    | The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
    | the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | Data:
    | 0000: 0d 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
    | 0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
    | 0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
    | 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    | 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    |
    | Event Type: Error
    | Event Source: Ntfs
    | Event Category: Disk
    | Event ID: 55
    | Date: 12/20/2004
    | Time: 02:53:49 PM
    | User: N/A
    | Computer: HARDYX
    | The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
    | the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | Data:
    | 0000: 0d 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
    | 0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
    | 0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
    | 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    | 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    |
    | Event Type: Warning
    | Event Source: Dhcp
    | Event Category: None
    | Event ID: 1007
    | Date: 12/20/2004
    | Time: 02:54:57 PM
    | User: N/A
    | Computer: HARDYX
    | Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network
    | Card with network address 00E018B54D97. The IP address being used is
    | 169.254.61.69.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | Data:
    | 0000: 00 00 00 00 ....
    |
    | OK - that's it, at least for the items under the System tab. You are
    | probably just as interested in seeing the events logged under
    Applications,
    | but because there are more of them, I'll post this first and then start
    | working on those. Thanks again.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    This one probably means the Windows Security Center Service of SP2 is
    unaware of your antivirus and or firewall. You might check the vendors web
    site for an update.

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
    | Here are the events under the Applications tab; there are 21 of them.
    | Event Type: Error
    | Event Source: SecurityCenter
    | Event Category: None
    | Event ID: 1802
    | Date: 12/20/2004
    | Time: 02:55:09 PM
    | User: N/A
    | Computer: HARDYX
    | The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries
    | with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | Data:
    | 0000: 0e 10 04 80 ...€
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ISSUE #! - Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I have three other disks besides
    my bootdisc that I could move the pagefile to. However, I'm afraid I'm not
    savvy enough to know exactly how to do that. I have used the System control
    panel, Advanced tab, Performance Settings, Advanced Tab, Virtual Memory area
    to attempt to no avail. I was able to decrease the total size of the
    pagefile. I attempted to click the No Pagefile button, but it seems I am
    unable to do that since the system always comes back with a pagefile size of
    767 MB regardless. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Finally, I
    followed the instructions you referred me to to wipe out the pagefile at
    shutdown successfully. None of these things had any effect on the ability of
    chkdsk to run at boot time. It still gets automatically cancelled.
    ISSUE #2 - I have taken more time and done a more thorough search on this
    problem here on the boards and have found at least two reports by others who
    encountered the same problem I am having. One of them dated 11/23/04 has
    still not been answered. In the other, someone advised the writer he should
    back up everything and then reinstall. I am hoping it really doesn't come to
    so drastic a solution. One of the things I noticed however were the
    instructions repeated time and time again to individuals on how to check
    their chkdsk log using event viewer. These included instructions to look
    under applications for the Winlogon entry. Now earlier, I uploaded each and
    every entry from event viewer per your request and perhaps you simply missed
    this, but I do not find anywhere an entry for Winlogon. Is this perhaps the
    root cause or a contributor to this problem I am having?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > | Event Source: Dhcp
    > | Event Category: None
    > | Event ID: 1007
    > | Date: 12/20/2004
    > | Time: 02:54:57 PM
    > | User: N/A
    > | Computer: HARDYX
    > | Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network
    > | Card with network address 00E018B54D97. The IP address being used is
    > | 169.254.61.69.
    > |
    > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    > | Data:
    > | 0000: 00 00 00 00 ....
    > |
    > | OK - that's it, at least for the items under the System tab. You are
    > | probably just as interested in seeing the events logged under
    > Applications,
    > | but because there are more of them, I'll post this first and then start

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    While it may now be a moot point this article may help you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307886&sd=tech

    If chkdsk never starts then the file 'Bootex.log' is not created hence there
    would be nothing for the Winlogon service to move to the application log.

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
    | ISSUE #! - Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I have three other disks
    besides
    | my bootdisc that I could move the pagefile to. However, I'm afraid I'm
    not
    | savvy enough to know exactly how to do that. I have used the System
    control
    | panel, Advanced tab, Performance Settings, Advanced Tab, Virtual Memory
    area
    | to attempt to no avail. I was able to decrease the total size of the
    | pagefile. I attempted to click the No Pagefile button, but it seems I am
    | unable to do that since the system always comes back with a pagefile size
    of
    | 767 MB regardless. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Finally, I
    | followed the instructions you referred me to to wipe out the pagefile at
    | shutdown successfully. None of these things had any effect on the ability
    of
    | chkdsk to run at boot time. It still gets automatically cancelled.
    | ISSUE #2 - I have taken more time and done a more thorough search on this
    | problem here on the boards and have found at least two reports by others
    who
    | encountered the same problem I am having. One of them dated 11/23/04 has
    | still not been answered. In the other, someone advised the writer he
    should
    | back up everything and then reinstall. I am hoping it really doesn't come
    | so drastic a solution. One of the things I noticed however were the
    | instructions repeated time and time again to individuals on how to check
    | their chkdsk log using event viewer. These included instructions to look
    | under applications for the Winlogon entry. Now earlier, I uploaded each
    and
    | every entry from event viewer per your request and perhaps you simply
    missed
    | this, but I do not find anywhere an entry for Winlogon. Is this perhaps
    the
    | root cause or a contributor to this problem I am having?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thank you for the information on how to properly relocate the pagefile. It
    is comforting to learn that I was at least on the right track in my earlier
    efforts. As you say, it may be moot at this point. I was informed that the
    pagefile.sys had been overwritten when I reduced the size, and my [perhaps
    faulty] thinking leads me to believe this would have eleviated any existing
    file corruption. I can try it again however.

    Regarding whether or not Bootex.log is ever written or not, all I can say is
    what I earlier reported. I get a blue screen advising me that my drive needs
    to be checked for consistency, followed by a warning that I can terminate
    this operation if I so chose but advising me that I should allow it to
    continue. This is followed by a series of periods (. . . .) allowing me time
    to press any key to abort the operation. This then is followed by the notice
    that the chkdsk has been cancelled. While normally appearing over some
    elapsed seconds, all of this appears on my screen in a sudden flash. Now,
    whether all of these messages are actually the first few operations executed
    by chkdsk or whether it is the work of some other service which later calls
    in chkdsk, I have no idea. I need to rely upon the Windows experts to
    provide me this type of technical detail. After describing all of this to
    you earlier, it was YOUR suggestion that I check the event viewer for an
    entry from Winlogon. Now you seem to be short that I point out I could never
    find such an entry! In the end however, it seems as though I am right where
    I started.

    I am sorry if my questions seem tedious. Naturally, I have no clue whether
    this is an SP2 issue, a hardware issue, the result of system file corruption,
    etc. I am only capable of reporting what I observe as it happens. I admit
    that I am grasping at straws in an attempt to understand this problem and
    clear it, however it now would seem that I am not the only one so doing.

    I appreciate your time in sharing those things that you do know to help me
    troubleshoot this problem. Unfortunately, aside from having eliminated your
    suggested ideas about the problem, I am really no closer to having a real
    solution. I am at least thankful that unlike that poor guy who wrote about
    the same problem on 11/23 and went unanswered, you have at least offered me
    some sort of help and I credit you for giving it your best shot.

    Unless you care to offer me any last minute suggestions, it appears that I
    will need to refer this issue to someone in New Delhi even though I really
    dislike the thought of doing so. When I stop to consider the last time I had
    to call Microsoft/India, I have to laugh at the prospect of doing it again.
    At $35 for a five hour phone call routed through Bombay, I can at least be
    assured of getting my money's worth.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > While it may now be a moot point this article may help you.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307886&sd=tech
    >
    > If chkdsk never starts then the file 'Bootex.log' is not created hence there
    > would be nothing for the Winlogon service to move to the application log.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "hardy" wrote:
    > | ISSUE #! - Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I have three other disks
    > besides
    > | my bootdisc that I could move the pagefile to. However, I'm afraid I'm
    > not
    > | savvy enough to know exactly how to do that. I have used the System
    > control
    > | panel, Advanced tab, Performance Settings, Advanced Tab, Virtual Memory
    > area
    > | to attempt to no avail. I was able to decrease the total size of the
    > | pagefile. I attempted to click the No Pagefile button, but it seems I am
    > | unable to do that since the system always comes back with a pagefile size
    > of
    > | 767 MB regardless. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Finally, I
    > | followed the instructions you referred me to to wipe out the pagefile at
    > | shutdown successfully. None of these things had any effect on the ability
    > of
    > | chkdsk to run at boot time. It still gets automatically cancelled.
    > | ISSUE #2 - I have taken more time and done a more thorough search on this
    > | problem here on the boards and have found at least two reports by others
    > who
    > | encountered the same problem I am having. One of them dated 11/23/04 has
    > | still not been answered. In the other, someone advised the writer he
    > should
    > | back up everything and then reinstall. I am hoping it really doesn't come
    > | so drastic a solution. One of the things I noticed however were the
    > | instructions repeated time and time again to individuals on how to check
    > | their chkdsk log using event viewer. These included instructions to look
    > | under applications for the Winlogon entry. Now earlier, I uploaded each
    > and
    > | every entry from event viewer per your request and perhaps you simply
    > missed
    > | this, but I do not find anywhere an entry for Winlogon. Is this perhaps
    > the
    > | root cause or a contributor to this problem I am having?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Earlier you told us you succeeded in running chkdsk /r on the suspect drive
    from the RC. What result was echoed to the screen? You can also run chkdsk
    read-only mode while the OS is running. What result was echoed to the
    screen?

    From a command prompt;
    chkdsk D:
    (where D: is the suspect drive letter)

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
> [...]
    | troubleshoot this problem. Unfortunately, aside from having eliminated
    your
    | suggested ideas about the problem, I am really no closer to having a real
    | solution. I am at least thankful that unlike that poor guy who wrote about
    | the same problem on 11/23 and went unanswered, you have at least offered
    me
    | some sort of help and I credit you for giving it your best shot.
    |
    | Unless you care to offer me any last minute suggestions, it appears that I
    | will need to refer this issue to someone in New Delhi even though I really
    | dislike the thought of doing so. When I stop to consider the last time I
    had
    | to call Microsoft/India, I have to laugh at the prospect of doing it
    again.
    | At $35 for a five hour phone call routed through Bombay, I can at least be
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Please know that your willingness to stay with me on this problem, in spite
    of my earlier cynical remarks (for which I apologize) demonstrate that you
    are truly a good man. In answer to our question, here are the results of
    chkdsk run against my primary boot drive (C:). In this instance, I have
    booted from my F: drive in order to run it, so that my regular C: drive is
    now D:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXX XXXXX>chkdsk d: /r
    The type of file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is WDC.

    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

    78140128 KB total disk space.
    33730488 KB is 69985 files.
    27984 KB is 6766 indexes.
    0 KB is bad sectors.
    200144 KB is use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    44181512 KB available on disk.

    4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    19535032 total allocation units on disk.
    11045378 allocation units available on disk.

    C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXX XXXXX>

    Now booting back on my normal C: drive, I perform the same operation on the
    F: drive. As you will see, I need to dismount the volume in order to get it
    to run. Originally, even this dismount was not successful creating the need
    to run chkdsk from RC. Apparently however, your instructions to make
    adjustments to pagefile corrected this problem so that I no longer have to do
    that. Results appear basically the same, although the chkdsk on the F: drive
    did not verify the Usn Journal (I am not really sure what that means):

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XX XXXXX>chkdsk f: /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Chdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount of this volume? (Y/N) y
    Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    Volume label is Seagate.

    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    FIle data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

    78148160 KB total disk space.
    27830364 KB in 95097 files.
    36224 KB in 8170 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    195332 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    50086240 KB available on disk.

    4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    19537040 total allocation units on disk.
    12521560 allocation units available on disk.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > | troubleshoot this problem. Unfortunately, aside from having eliminated
    > your
    > | suggested ideas about the problem, I am really no closer to having a real
    > | solution. I am at least thankful that unlike that poor guy who wrote about
    > | the same problem on 11/23 and went unanswered, you have at least offered
    > me
    > | some sort of help and I credit you for giving it your best shot.
    > |
    > | Unless you care to offer me any last minute suggestions, it appears that I
    > | will need to refer this issue to someone in New Delhi even though I really
    > | dislike the thought of doing so. When I stop to consider the last time I
    > had
    > | to call Microsoft/India, I have to laugh at the prospect of doing it
    > again.
    > | At $35 for a five hour phone call routed through Bombay, I can at least be

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    OK, looks good. Does this mean the issue is resolved?

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
> [...]
    |
    | CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    | File verification completed.
    | CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    | Index verification completed.
    | CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    | Security descriptor verification completed.
    | CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    | FIle data verification completed.
    | CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    | Free space verification is complete.
    |
    | 78148160 KB total disk space.
    | 27830364 KB in 95097 files.
    | 36224 KB in 8170 indexes.
    | 0 KB in bad sectors.
    | 195332 KB in use by the system.
    | 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    | 50086240 KB available on disk.
    |
    | 4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    | 19537040 total allocation units on disk.
    | 12521560 allocation units available on disk.
    |
    | C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XX XXXXX>
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Is the issue resolved? Well, only in part. When I ran chkdsk from the
    recovery console, I noticed that if either that dirty disk bit had been set
    earlier, or if I had scheduled to perform a chkdsk at boot time, those
    settings still remained in effect after the chkdsk when I subsequently
    rebooted. Now, running chkdsk after Windows comes up completely that problem
    seems to have vanished so that when I reboot, the system no longer tries to
    initiate chkdsk repeatedly. The remaining problem is this: should I run
    diskscan from Norton Utilities, or if I should try to run chkdsk and be told
    I need to schedule it to run at boottime, it simply will not execute -- on
    any of my four disk drives. When I later boot up, it tells me the scan has
    been scheduled, is supposed to then let a few seconds elapse so that I can
    press a key if I want to abort the operation, and then on the next line tells
    me that the operation was aborted. If I have scheduled each of the four
    disks to be scanned, it will run through all four of them in succession and
    do exactly the same thing. There is no time lapse while the dots appear on
    the screen (. . . .). While this may technically be totally inaccurate, it
    is as though those extra keystrokes which ultimately abort the scans had been
    stacked and were then immediately popped off the moment the scheduled scan
    kicked into swing. Of course, I never touch the keyboard. I know that may
    not be what's going on, however it ACTS like a running program that is just
    popping off it's input from the stack. My problem with this is that it's not
    supposed to be that way. If the machine crashes, or power to a disk is cut
    before finishing any final write operations (thus setting the dirty bit),
    Windows should check the disk for errors at the next boot and my machine
    simply will no longer do that. The good news is that you helped me get to a
    point where I can run chkdsk manually when I know that it needs to be run,
    but I'd rather rely on the system to do this. It's late and I'm a little
    foggy headed now, but I hope that I have made this clear and not confused you.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > |
    > | CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    > | File verification completed.
    > | CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    > | Index verification completed.
    > | CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    > | Security descriptor verification completed.
    > | CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    > | FIle data verification completed.
    > | CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    > | Free space verification is complete.
    > |
    > | 78148160 KB total disk space.
    > | 27830364 KB in 95097 files.
    > | 36224 KB in 8170 indexes.
    > | 0 KB in bad sectors.
    > | 195332 KB in use by the system.
    > | 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    > | 50086240 KB available on disk.
    > |
    > | 4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    > | 19537040 total allocation units on disk.
    > | 12521560 allocation units available on disk.
    > |
    > | C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XX XXXXX>

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Yes it is clear, but the situation remains that some system/boot start
    device is not allowing autochk the required exclusive access to the disks.
    This is the cause. Now the other issues you mention are only an immediate
    effect or result of this for which I don't have an answer.

    Afraid you really have two choices; either remove the device/service or put
    up with it and use the RC when necessary.

    --

    "hardy" wrote:
    | Is the issue resolved? Well, only in part. When I ran chkdsk from the
    | recovery console, I noticed that if either that dirty disk bit had been
    set
    | earlier, or if I had scheduled to perform a chkdsk at boot time, those
    | settings still remained in effect after the chkdsk when I subsequently
    | rebooted. Now, running chkdsk after Windows comes up completely that
    problem
    | seems to have vanished so that when I reboot, the system no longer tries
    | initiate chkdsk repeatedly. The remaining problem is this: should I run
    | diskscan from Norton Utilities, or if I should try to run chkdsk and be
    told
    | I need to schedule it to run at boottime, it simply will not execute -- on
    | any of my four disk drives. When I later boot up, it tells me the scan
    has
    | been scheduled, is supposed to then let a few seconds elapse so that I can
    | press a key if I want to abort the operation, and then on the next line
    tells
    | me that the operation was aborted. If I have scheduled each of the four
    | disks to be scanned, it will run through all four of them in succession
    and
    | do exactly the same thing. There is no time lapse while the dots appear
    on
    | the screen (. . . .). While this may technically be totally inaccurate,
    it
    | is as though those extra keystrokes which ultimately abort the scans had
    been
    | stacked and were then immediately popped off the moment the scheduled scan
    | kicked into swing. Of course, I never touch the keyboard. I know that
    may
    | not be what's going on, however it ACTS like a running program that is
    just
    | popping off it's input from the stack. My problem with this is that it's
    not
    | supposed to be that way. If the machine crashes, or power to a disk is
    cut
    | before finishing any final write operations (thus setting the dirty bit),
    | Windows should check the disk for errors at the next boot and my machine
    | simply will no longer do that. The good news is that you helped me get to
    | point where I can run chkdsk manually when I know that it needs to be run,
    | but I'd rather rely on the system to do this. It's late and I'm a little
    | foggy headed now, but I hope that I have made this clear and not confused
    you.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Dear Dave Patrick:

    Over the past couple of months you helped me as I struggled with the problem
    of being unable to schedule a chkdsk on my machine. Of course, throughout
    our struggles, the root cause of the problem seemed as elusive as ever.
    Today, I am pleased to announce that I have finally discovered that cause and
    felt perhaps you would appreciate me sharing this information with you. It
    is probably only a matter of time before you presented with the same or
    similar problem again by another user.

    After my initial installation of Windows XP Pro SP1

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > | kicked into swing. Of course, I never touch the keyboard. I know that
    > may
    > | not be what's going on, however it ACTS like a running program that is
    > just
    > | popping off it's input from the stack. My problem with this is that it's
    > not
    > | supposed to be that way. If the machine crashes, or power to a disk is
    > cut
    > | before finishing any final write operations (thus setting the dirty bit),
    > | Windows should check the disk for errors at the next boot and my machine
    > | simply will no longer do that. The good news is that you helped me get to
    > | point where I can run chkdsk manually when I know that it needs to be run,
    > | but I'd rather rely on the system to do this. It's late and I'm a little
    > | foggy headed now, but I hope that I have made this clear and not confused

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Dear Dave Patrick:

    Over the past couple of months you helped me as I struggled with the problem
    of being unable to schedule a chkdsk on my machine. Of course, throughout
    our struggles, the root cause of the problem seemed as elusive as ever.
    Today, I am pleased to announce that I have finally discovered that cause and
    felt perhaps you would appreciate me sharing this information with you. It
    is probably only a matter of time before you are presented with the same or
    similar problem again by another user.

    After my initial installation of Windows XP Pro SP1, I installed Recovery
    Console on my main boot drive so that RC became a menu option at boot time.
    Then, I was quick to install SP2 as soon as it became available, and although
    I did not realize it at the time, RC was screwed up due to incompatibility
    with SP2. It appears that this was the root cause and that by removing RC
    from my hard disk, the problem of being unable to schedule a chkdsk at boot
    time completely disappeared.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
    > | kicked into swing. Of course, I never touch the keyboard. I know that
    > may
    > | not be what's going on, however it ACTS like a running program that is
    > just
    > | popping off it's input from the stack. My problem with this is that it's
    > not
    > | supposed to be that way. If the machine crashes, or power to a disk is
    > cut
    > | before finishing any final write operations (thus setting the dirty bit),
    > | Windows should check the disk for errors at the next boot and my machine
    > | simply will no longer do that. The good news is that you helped me get to
    > | point where I can run chkdsk manually when I know that it needs to be run,
    > | but I'd rather rely on the system to do this. It's late and I'm a little
    > | foggy headed now, but I hope that I have made this clear and not confused

Chkdsk Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP