ps2 port damaged

G

Hi guys.
I have the GA-7IXE mobo evry thing was running fine untell yesterday when I was playing red alert I get a blue screen says 'hardware.... system halted' then I restarted my system and I heared a strange beeb from the BIOS it's contunios and funny any way after long time of removing and testing hardware finally I found that the proplem with the PS2 ports I tried evry thing to fix it but nothing works so I decide to go and buy a USB to ps2 adapter and I found 1 then I went to home to try it but the proplem was that the keyboard/mouse doesn't recognized untel the OS load that's mean that I can'y access the BIOS setting or use my keyboard in DOS.I know that there is a option in thr BIOS allow me to support the USB keyboard I try on other mother board and it does work but the proplem that how can I access the BIOS and enable this option it's comes diabled by defualt. so any 1 have agood idia plz help me

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is extremely risky but maybe you feel you have no other choice.

<A HREF="http://www.biosmods.com" target="_new">Binary's BIOS Mods</A> has a program, Modbin. This program allows you to perform modifications to an AWARD BIOS. Perhaps it will allow you to change the USB keyboard default setting.

I don't need to point out that modifying your BIOS could be dangerous. I suggest you follow the tips on making a BIOS recovery disk at that same site. The Award BIOS has a protected boot block which means that it should always be able to boot a floppy. Even if you have no video and no keyboard access, a correctly created recovery disk can auto-flash your original BIOS.

I've used some of Binary's pre-modified BIOSes on my own system (to completely disable ACPI) but I have never tried the Modbin program.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

That's agood news but I have little proplem wich is the BIOS on that mobo is and AMI BIOS So does it work with AMI BIOS ?

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
cant use youre usb keyboard to access the bios to enable usb in dos to enable you to get into the bios in order to enable usb... bit like those little signs that say 'by opening this envelope that contains the license agreement you hearby accept and understand the license agreement'.

catch 22's aside, have you tried fiddling with the actual socket on the mobo in case its got a little loose? dont knock it hard cos u dont want it falling off. also you might be able to find a keyboard that uses a different socket or a socket adapter that allows it to use a different socket, ask at a proper computer store, and good luck.

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You sure the keyboard is disabled by default? This would be odd......I would try to clear the cmos and try access with a usb keyboard......not with a ps2 keyboard thru a usb adapter.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL, yeah I have actually been this this problem before, with some gateway OEM boards......stuck a usb keyboard on and whala working system. I have just never seen a newer board ( newer than ss7) that had usb keyboard support disabled by default. It might be neccesary to clear the cmos just in case it has been disabled. And I don't think a ps2 keyboard will work with a usb adapter.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?