SP2 problem on Dell dimension 8400

Hi,

I had a client with the above mentioned computer, P4 3.2GHz, 1 Gb ram. I
service packed the computer from an update cd. XP home. The update went
smoothly, computer finished off and rebooted. It rebooted straight into
widows which, I found strange, no screen about turning on automatic updates.
On trying to open up "my computer" or internet explorer nothing would
happen. Other programs, control panel, etc worked. Thinking I'd rushed in
too fast or something, I gave the computer a reboot and had the exact same
problem. Thinking maybe a reinstall of IE would solve the problem, I loaded
my cd, then realised I was unable to access the cd drive because of the
problems... At this point I took the easy way out and uninstalled SP2, at
which point things went back to normal. Anyone have any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about problem dell dimension 8400

    "k1w1" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had a client with the above mentioned computer, P4 3.2GHz, 1 Gb ram. I
    > service packed the computer from an update cd. XP home. The update went
    > smoothly, computer finished off and rebooted. It rebooted straight into
    > widows which, I found strange, no screen about turning on automatic updates.
    > On trying to open up "my computer" or internet explorer nothing would
    > happen. Other programs, control panel, etc worked. Thinking I'd rushed in
    > too fast or something, I gave the computer a reboot and had the exact same
    > problem. Thinking maybe a reinstall of IE would solve the problem, I loaded
    > my cd, then realised I was unable to access the cd drive because of the
    > problems... At this point I took the easy way out and uninstalled SP2, at
    > which point things went back to normal. Anyone have any ideas?

    A place to start.
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090448&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs

Internet Explorer Computers Windows XP