jdunn5950

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
I have a gateway baby AT computer and would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU. Any suggestions on a compatible motherboard.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Well, depends on the ram configuration :72 pin EDO or 168 pin DIMM, single voltage or dual (MMX, K6 or P-Classic).
You could posibly just go for a K6-2 500+ and keep youre
mb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You most likely have the BAT case (it says "BAT" on the back). This is actually a 3/4 AT motherboard case. Most AT motherboards are small enough to fit. I have some motherboards with the 2 PS/2 connectors if you're interested, they'll officially support up to 200MHz, but since 1.5x=3.5x, you can get them to 233. A better choice would be something newer. Pine is a company that speciallizes in AT motherboards for new processors (PIII, Celeron, Duron, T-Bird). Tigerdirect and Global both cary their products. Personally, I would suggest you go with a new ATX case, or buy one of my old Motherboard/Processor combo's to upgrade the PC (make it sellable), then sell it.
One last option is to get a super 7 board, but since these cost as much as Duron/Athlon motherboards, and matching processors cost as much as Durons, you might as well get a Duron system together.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Have a look at this AT ECS mb "http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/products/old/p5sdbp.htm"
It takes Simm/Dimm/P-classic/MMX/K6 etc

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 11/17/01 00:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>