error message and install problem

December 19, 2004 5:35:01 PM

Hope this ist the right room for this question.

Since I installed the SP2 patch every time I start my coputer Dell 8400 I
get the following message:
C;|windows|System32|autoexecnt. The system file is not suitable for running
MSDOS and Microsoft window applications. Choose close to terminat the
application. Has a close and ignore selection.

Computer was running fine but had trouble with recognize my Canon C755
multifunction. I uninstalled the mutifunction and downloaded new drivers to
be compatable with XP. However the system would not let me install the
printerr with the disc or the new drivers.

The above sisytem file message appears when I attempted to re-install the
multifunction unit.

I am not very computer literate and of course since the operating system
(WINDOWS)was installed by Dell. Microsoft won't help and Dell says I am out
of warranty.

Can any one assist???????

Thanks
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:44:21 PM

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS
and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the application.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

Replace the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by copying a backup copy
located in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(NB: %windir% is typically C:\Windows)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314106
Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm