Why has Rage been labelled as a failure?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I read numerous comments/ reviews by people telling how badly the game performed and how it was a big let down. The main issue faced seemed to be with the graphics of the game. This included screen tearing, lagging, etc. Reading such reports, I was really bummed and was even considering returning the game.

But then I got it on a sale at Steam and gave it a shot. I'm gonna be very honest: I really loved it!! I'm yet to finish it and have only gone through like 5 missions and a "LOT" of races! I've faced absolutely no issues with the game while running it maxed. Yes, the only issue was a thin transparent line running horizontally across the screen (screen tearing?). That too, it vanished after some time. Of course, my GPU is beating a sweat at stages (touched 91C) but then, its a 470!

What I was wondering was, what is it that I'm missing out? I mean, evidently the game has been labelled as a huge failure! But I just didn't get why so! I really love the graphics and the gameplay. It's got a slow, easy going sort of pace. I'm one of them who likes to stop and admire the environment and the attention to details. I really got awed when I visited the dead city (hospital mission?) and saw the way the entire environment was spread out. True, you don't have that sense of openness and freedom to explore vast environments unlike Far Cry, but thats something I can do with.

So, am I missing something? Perhaps those of you who have/ are facing problems with the game can share them, here?

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
On release the graphics options where shocking, especially for an iD game. There was no vsync and the game looked terrible, it had a lot of texture loading issues.

I think the issues where fixed with patches

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Issues were fixed with patches, but the outrage came when id promised that the game wouldn't be a console port. They promised proper PC-style gameplay that would cater for their beloved PC-playing fanbase. Upon release though, the game was everything id promised it wouldn't be - a badly textured ripoff of a game, although fun it remained.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I love id. I have more respect for id as a company than I have for the good old Infinity Ward. If it wasn't for id, we'd still be playing platformers (maybe). Everyone of their title were outstanding. Rage on the other hand, wasn't.

1 - Controls (too arcade-like)
The problem with Rage (IMO) is the mechanics and the graphics. With shooters becoming more and more realistic, and with controls that become extremely responsive (COD, BF3), you can't publish shooter games that have loose controls. Rage's controls were way too arcade-like. Borderlands had the same look (more-less) but at least their controls were tight.

2 - Graphics
It's 2011. You can't publish games on the PC that have low-res textures (low even for console standards). I'm big on visual treatment and Rage simply didn't do it for me. The artwork however, was quite nice and original...it put a tone on the game so I'll give 'em that.

3 - Open world (but not really).
id is now part of Bethesda...which is known for creating the best open-world games (Elder Scroll, Fallout, etc.). You would think Rage would have been a marriage between Doom's extraordinary atmosphere and Elder Scroll's open world feel...which I though would be the best "couple" ever! Instead, we got ...well...Rage which isn't any of the two (or a failure of the two).

What I liked: The AI was by far the best I've seen in any game, ever. Weird, I know...but I though it was quite impressive.

Rage wasn't a failure...but didn't achieve anything it promised it would excel at. That's why many were extremely dissapointed with the game.

(Sorry about the long response...this thread touched a nerve lol).

Cheers,

Alex

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
@bumnut53 and Toxxyc:
So basically the subsequent patches removed most of the glitches but it still remains a console port. If you were to look at the game independent of the console issue, would you say its a great/ good/ decent game? Personally, I really like the game but its only when I start thinking that its originally a console game, I start feeling that I didn't get what I should have for the PC.

I agree with what Alex has put down in respect of:

1. Graphics:
The artwork is truly brilliant! However, the texture quality didn't really seem to be an issue. I think the textures were still pretty good. Could they have been better? Probably! But are they good enough today? For me, yeah! Unless I'm missing out something, i.e!

2. Controls:
The first person controls seem to be good enough. The driving controls however are pretty sucky! For eg, I'd love to have a free roam look with the mouse while driving. Instead, your vision is limited to the direction in which you are driving, which removes the option of looking around for enemies, etc.

3. Open world:
Agree with you 100%! You get a mind blowing environment but no option of exploring it. Like being in front of a beautiful ferrari and not being allowed to touch it (I wanted to use the example of a woman, but refrained!! :D). I haven't played Elder Scrolls but loved the open world feel in Far Cry 2, which had stunning visuals and the reach into the same completed the experience! Even the half life 2 series for that matter.

4. AI:
Again, agreed! The best so far! The weapons are just right....not too weak and not too powerful, which is what messed up metro 2033 for me (darn beasties just wouldn't die!!).

All in all, it reminds me a little of doom 3(feel of weapons), half-life 2 series (open world, post apocalyptic scenario, authority and resistance angle) and Crysis warhead/ Crysis 2 for AI.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Crysis 2 AI was stoopid :/ And I mean really, really stoopid. They were a lot less reactive or intelligent as the AI in the original Crysis was (not the humans, they were as stupid as you'd think they could be).

But other than that - I think the game is labeled as a failure for the same reason DNF was labeled a failure: It didn't meet expectations. I pre-ordered DNF after months of looking forward to it. I played the demo like 15 times, enjoyed every second of it and the game didn't live up to it. I didn't even bother to play the game after I got it, it was installed and tried and left alone to die in a corner. I have been going back to it from time to time though, and after the major letdown I think I'll be able to stomach it now. Rage - same story. I'm pretty sure if you never heard of it, you just went and bought it it would've been damn awesome. But now that they promised what they did before release it simply didn't add up.

Hype is such an immoral, idiotic thing to attach to an object. It destroys expectations and ruins enjoyment :(

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I also have fondness for ID, especially now that they are merged with Zenimax who is the parent company for Bethesda Softworks, but RAGE was just a showcase for ID's new game engine which will get extensively used by other developers to build their game on.