D-link DWL-G122 problems

have downloaded driver from dlink site and still usb adaptor
unknown....anyone have similiar problems with said gear and
have rectified them?? tks

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:18:05 -0500, "bumponapickle"
<bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:

>have downloaded driver from dlink site and still usb adaptor
>unknown....anyone have similiar problems with said gear and
>have rectified them?? tks

I'll assume the DWL-G122 is similar to the DWL-122. That's what
happened when I tried to install the drivers AFTER plugging in the
DWL-122. The docs insist that you install the drivers first.

When I screwed up the install, wouldn't find the driver, and left me
with a yellow warning marker in the Device Manager. You can go to
"add new hardware" and the "unknown USB device" will appear at the top
of the list to be added. Leave the cdrom in the drive. Tell it to
search the cdrom for drivers. It should find them and the DWL-122.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the DWL-122 drivers, reboot,
re-install the drivers, and then plug in the DWL-122.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

bumponapickle <bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:
> have downloaded driver from dlink site and still usb adaptor
> unknown....anyone have similiar problems with said gear and
> have rectified them?? tks

With the DWL-122, I installed the package, then had to do an "add new
hardware" or plug it in and have it recognized as new hardware (which might
not work a second time), and browse to the location of the drivers in the
installation directory. It didn't seem to copy them to Windows with the
installation of the package. You might try updating the driver in the
device manager.

--
---

Tks for all the info...have tried everything but still no
go...usb device still not recognized...I'am trying to use the
drivers downloaded from d-link site...never did have the
cdrom with drivers on it...sent off a couple of emails to
d-link but still no reply....again tks for the help....:)
"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in
message news:0b6ht01b7i4cotsmqvh29ph02j4fmci4ba@4ax.com...
| On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:18:05 -0500, "bumponapickle"
| <bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:
|
| >have downloaded driver from dlink site and still usb
adaptor
| >unknown....anyone have similiar problems with said gear
and
| >have rectified them?? tks
|
| I'll assume the DWL-G122 is similar to the DWL-122. That's
what
| happened when I tried to install the drivers AFTER plugging
in the
| DWL-122. The docs insist that you install the drivers
first.

| When I screwed up the install, wouldn't find the driver,
and left me
| with a yellow warning marker in the Device Manager. You
can go to
| "add new hardware" and the "unknown USB device" will appear
at the top
| of the list to be added. Leave the cdrom in the drive.
Tell it to
| search the cdrom for drivers. It should find them and the
DWL-122.

| If that doesn't work, uninstall the DWL-122 drivers,
reboot,
| re-install the drivers, and then plug in the DWL-122.
|
| --
| Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
| 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
| Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:10:46 -0500, "bumponapickle"
<bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:

>Tks for all the info...have tried everything but still no
>go...usb device still not recognized...I'am trying to use the
>drivers downloaded from d-link site...never did have the
>cdrom with drivers on it...sent off a couple of emails to
>d-link but still no reply....again tks for the help....:)

Kinda ambiguous. "Unknown device" is what I'm guessing you're seeing.
It finds a USB device, but can't find a suitable driver. Offering it
the latest download from D-Link doesn't work. Does this sound
familiar? Otherwise, duz "not recognized" mean that you're not
getting a progress bar where it detects the USB device, or that it
can't find the driver. In case you haven't noticed, I detest
paraphrased error messages.

If so, my best guess(tm) is that you downloaded the wrong software or
you don't really have a DWL-122. To troubleshoot the former, could
you reveal the version of software you've downloaded so I can check
the site? For the latter, download and install the "Unknown Devices"
program from:
http://www.halfdone.com
and verify that it's really a DWL-122.

While you're at it, you might wanna also disclose your operating
system product and version. (Hint: Numbers, not prose).

Also, you seem to have a stuck period key and a non-functional shift
key. You might wanna get them fixed or purchase a new keyboard.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

The device is a D-Link [shift key now functioning ;)] AirPlus
G DWL-G122 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. I purchased the
D-Link DWL-922C Starter Kit which consisted of said USB
adaptor and DI-524 wireless router. The contents of the box
did not consist of a driver cdrom for the adaptor so I
downloaded the required drivers from D-Links support site.
The driver that I downloaded is dwlg122_driver_113, the only
available driver file available for the DWL-G122 USB Adaptor.
I also followed the directions on how to configure the
drivers when downloaded from their site vice drivers loaded
from cdrom support.

System being loaded on is AMD 2500 with Gigabyte board, 512
ram running on XP Pro SP2.

At this time, the response from the O/S is that the USB
device is not recognized. Have tried all fixes suggested
sofar offered in this posting and others I could find around
the net. All I can figure at this time is that there must be
some files missing from the downloaded drivers that exist on
the cdroms that should have accompanied my purchase.

Mr. Pickle :)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in
message news:skkkt0dq9h02274kqdd9v4unhl15itgcpp@4ax.com...
| On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:10:46 -0500, "bumponapickle"
| <bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:
|
| >Tks for all the info...have tried everything but still no
| >go...usb device still not recognized...I'am trying to use
the
| >drivers downloaded from d-link site...never did have the
| >cdrom with drivers on it...sent off a couple of emails to
| >d-link but still no reply....again tks for the help....:)
|
| Kinda ambiguous. "Unknown device" is what I'm guessing
you're seeing.
| It finds a USB device, but can't find a suitable driver.
Offering it
| the latest download from D-Link doesn't work. Does this
sound
| familiar? Otherwise, duz "not recognized" mean that you're
not
| getting a progress bar where it detects the USB device, or
that it
| can't find the driver. In case you haven't noticed, I
detest
| paraphrased error messages.
|
| If so, my best guess(tm) is that you downloaded the wrong
software or
| you don't really have a DWL-122. To troubleshoot the
former, could
| you reveal the version of software you've downloaded so I
can check
| the site? For the latter, download and install the
"Unknown Devices"
| program from:
| http://www.halfdone.com
| and verify that it's really a DWL-122.
|
| While you're at it, you might wanna also disclose your
operating
| system product and version. (Hint: Numbers, not prose).
|
| Also, you seem to have a stuck period key and a
non-functional shift
| key. You might wanna get them fixed or purchase a new
keyboard.

| --
| Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
| 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
| Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:22:40 -0500, "bumponapickle"
<bumponapickleATgmail.com (replace AT with @)> wrote:

>The device is a D-Link [shift key now functioning ;)]

Thanks. I'm from the stone age and have difficulties reading todays
free form grammar and punctuation.

>AirPlus
>G DWL-G122 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. I purchased the
>D-Link DWL-922C Starter Kit which consisted of said USB
>adaptor and DI-524 wireless router.

Those are on sale at various places for as low as $26 after rebates.
Nice price.

>The contents of the box
>did not consist of a driver cdrom for the adaptor so I
>downloaded the required drivers from D-Links support site.

Did it contain any drivers or cdrom's? I'm not familiar with the
DWL-922c starter kit, but every other such product includes drivers on
a cdrom. There are no drivers for the DI-524 but I vaguely recall
that there was a cdrom full of documentation. For USB products,
there's always a cdrom with drivers. Was the box opened or returned
from a previous customer?

>The driver that I downloaded is dwlg122_driver_113, the only
>available driver file available for the DWL-G122 USB Adaptor.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg122/Drivers/dwlg122_driver_113.zip

Yep, that's the latest (and only) driver.

>I also followed the directions on how to configure the
>drivers when downloaded from their site vice drivers loaded
>from cdrom support.
>
>System being loaded on is AMD 2500 with Gigabyte board, 512
>ram running on XP Pro SP2.

Duz the AMD 2500 have a USB 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 port for the DWL-G122?
If USB 1.0, it won't work. If 1.1, it might work but at reduced
speed. If 2.0, that's what it wants.

Is there any other USB device around that you can use to test the
port. My sense of smell seems to show that you've built your own
machine. That sometimes means a non-motherboard mounted USB connector
with some of the most amazing wiring and pinouts I've ever seen thrown
together by competing vendors. I have about 5 different wiring and
pinout diagrams for the motherboard connector on my wall. Some are 4
pin, some 5 pin, some have both connectors in the same direction,
others have the mirror imaged. Nice mess. Anyway, there's really
good chance you have the external USB connector miswired. The last
time I did that, I manged to blow up a Sandisk CF card reader, so do
be careful.

>At this time, the response from the O/S is that the USB
>device is not recognized.

Since you were nice enough to modify your grammar for my benifit, I'll
be nice and not unload my full wrath upon thee for paraphrasing an
error message. Did you read my previous reply? I asked you what "not
recognized" means. Such phrases are about as useless as "does not
work" or "cannot install".
1. Does it mean that nothing happens when you plug in the device?
2. Does it do something when plugged in and eventually declare that it
can't find the driver?
3. Duz it show up in the Device Manager list with a yellow or red "x"?
Perchance, do you have it marked as "disabled" in the Device Manager?
4. About a dozen other possibilities for "not recognized" that I'm too
lazy to itemize. Describe EXACTLY what it does and try not to be so
vague. If it does absolutely nothing, then it's possible that the
device is broken, or your USB port is sick.

>Have tried all fixes suggested
>sofar offered in this posting and others I could find around
>the net.

Which are what? Roughly what didn't work? Did they all result in the
same error message or vague failure?

Did you also bother to read my previous posting and download the
"Unknown Devices" program from:
http://www.halfdone.com
which should disclose what exact device you have. I had planned to
compare it with the .INF file in the driver to see if there was any
discrepance. Sure, you tried ALL fixes suggested so far...

>All I can figure at this time is that there must be
>some files missing from the downloaded drivers that exist on
>the cdroms that should have accompanied my purchase.

It's possible, but I doubt it. I downloaded the driver and took a
look at the contents. Looks like it's all there. The .INF file
appeared correct. Nothing listed in the .INF file that wasn't either
part of the standard Windoze installation or in the two .SYS files in
the ZIP archive.