My computer sometimes won't standby or hibernate

Franklin

I love XP's feature to autostandby or autohibernate. However, sometimes I
notice that it mysteriously does not happen - even if I there are no active
network connections of any sort.

Does anyone know how to debug this? The Event Viewer shows nothing. The
only symptom is that I can come back a while later and the computer has not
standbied or hybernated.

Franklin

I should add that if I enter standby or hibernate manually, it works fine.

"Franklin" wrote:

> I love XP's feature to autostandby or autohibernate. However, sometimes I
> notice that it mysteriously does not happen - even if I there are no active
> network connections of any sort.
>
> Does anyone know how to debug this? The Event Viewer shows nothing. The
> only symptom is that I can come back a while later and the computer has not
> standbied or hybernated.

Power saving modes were intended for laptops; they can be balky when used
with a desktop.

"The Computer Cannot Enter Standby or Hibernate If a Direct3D-Based Screen
Saver Is Running"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306676

"Unable to Use Power Management Features"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302414

--
Ted Zieglar

"Franklin" <Franklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I should add that if I enter standby or hibernate manually, it works fine.
>

> "Franklin" wrote:
>
> > I love XP's feature to autostandby or autohibernate. However, sometimes
> > notice that it mysteriously does not happen - even if I there are no
active
> > network connections of any sort.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to debug this? The Event Viewer shows nothing.
The
> > only symptom is that I can come back a while later and the computer has
not
> > standbied or hybernated.

Franklin

Sorry for not being more clear:

A) It is a laptop (Compaq Presario R3000)
B) It can hibernate and standby manually fine - but it no longer does it
automatically
C) I am not running any special screen saver, playing any games, etc.