Pleaseeeeeeeeee help me

this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
i am using xp,

i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the desktop
and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
although i can open all my programs through Task manager..

I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files from the
cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says 'safe
mode' in the four corners
Please can someone tell me whats going on???
7 answers Last reply
More about pleaseeeeeeeeee

    Have you scanned your computer for viruses, using the most recent virus
    definitions?

    Ted Zieglar

    "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > i am using xp,
    >
    > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    > desktop
    > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    >
    > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files from the
    > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says 'safe
    > mode' in the four corners
    > Please can someone tell me whats going on???

    Sounds like the explorer shell is not loading, or explorer is corrupt.

    If you can get into regedit through the taskmanager, look for the following
    key

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

    within, you should see
    Shell=explorer.exe

    Do you?

    When you say you try system restore, does that mean you tried and couldn't
    or you tried and it didn't work?

    "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > i am using xp,
    >
    > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    desktop
    > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    >
    > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files from the
    > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says 'safe
    > mode' in the four corners
    > Please can someone tell me whats going on???

    "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > i am using xp,
    >
    > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    > desktop
    > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    >
    > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files from the
    > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says 'safe
    > mode' in the four corners
    > Please can someone tell me whats going on???

    I have an eMachines, and I have used the Restore CD to rebuild my XP system.
    It was a simple matter of booting the computer with the CD in the CD player.

    Just keep in mind that when you use the Restore CD, everything on your hard
    disk will be erased, and your XP system will be rebuilt just like it was
    when you first bought it. Any files that you want to keep, write them to a
    floppy, or if you have a lot of files, zip them up and email them to
    yourself as attachments using something like a Hotmail account where you can
    email messages up to 10MB.

    Good luck.

    "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > i am using xp,
    >
    > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    > desktop
    > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    >
    > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files
    > from the
    > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says
    > 'safe
    > mode' in the four corners
    > Please can someone tell me whats going on???

    Wild guess. Right click on the desktop. Click on "Arrange Icons by".
    Make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.

    - Arnie

    Good thought,,,,sometimes we assume too much

    "Arnie Mauer" <xxx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > > i am using xp,
    > >
    > > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    > > desktop
    > > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    > >
    > > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files
    > > from the
    > > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says
    > > 'safe
    > > mode' in the four corners
    > > Please can someone tell me whats going on???
    >
    > Wild guess. Right click on the desktop. Click on "Arrange Icons by".
    > Make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.
    >
    > - Arnie

    Hi, You said you tried the e machine system restore cd, this I am assuming is
    your recovery cd, have you tried system restore that is built into win xp?
    Just in case you haven't, go to Start, all programs, accessories, system
    tools, system restore, then pick a previous date when your system was working
    properly. Good luck

    "gerryf" wrote:

    > Sounds like the explorer shell is not loading, or explorer is corrupt.
    >
    > If you can get into regedit through the taskmanager, look for the following
    > key
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    >
    > within, you should see
    > Shell=explorer.exe
    >
    > Do you?
    >
    > When you say you try system restore, does that mean you tried and couldn't
    > or you tried and it didn't work?
    >

    > "siobhanNeedsHelp" <siobhanNeedsHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:44483BAD-49D5-410B-8484-73F6BC0B13EF@microsoft.com...
    > > this may sound simple...but i cant figure it out
    > > i am using xp,
    > >
    > > i have two accounts on my computer..when i open either of them, the
    > desktop
    > > and startmenu do not load i just have a blank screen,
    > > although i can open all my programs through Task manager..
    > >
    > > I have tryed to use 'emachines' system restore, i can open files from the
    > > cd, but i cannot actually find a way to restore my computer.
    > > i have entered in diognostic mode, which makes no difference
    > > and when i tryed safe mode, no screen at all loads up , it just says 'safe
    > > mode' in the four corners
    > > Please can someone tell me whats going on???

    While in Task Manager, try Ending the process "explorer.exe" if it's running,
    and then using "New Task" type in "explorer.exe". That should get you the
    start bar up.. I know that whenever explorer.exe isn't running for me, I get
    the same symptoms you get.

    BMR777

Windows XP