A7V266-E owners, post here

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Hi Guys
Im almost ready to jump off the fence and buy this board.
If you are using one of these bad boys, please post here with your experiences, thoughts, comments, etc...

I've seen this board at Essential Computer for $175

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue>

SirRiff

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
Greetings,

Are there any benchmarks for this board anywhere? I want it! I want it! I want it!

This has been a test of the emergency ranting system.
SirRiff

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be aware that certain boards are shipping without the raid endowment. The first batch last week at one store, forget which, didn't have RAID on them. I know, cause I talked to a guy with one in his hand opened. But I am watching too, for maybe a reasonable price.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Tough to tell by looking at the add on the above mentioned website.
They pretty much just give the description that shows all the options. For example, the on board LAN says "optional" yet it doesnt say if that option is available on the specific board they are selling there. I guess a phone call or an e mail to them would be required to find out exactly what options are on the board.
I bought my A7V133 from them and had no issues.

I want to see some benchmarks, peoples set ups.
I really want to see some info.
(I realy want this board to kick ass!)
The reveiw done by (crap, forgot name- edit coming)
lostcircuits.com has been said to be a hack job by the reveiwer. Thats what some have been saying on some of the other boards.

Anyhow,

ATTENTION THG COMMUNITY!
POST YOUR INFO IF YOU HAVE THIS BOARD !!!
(please?)haha

Just spotted this reveiw link, havnt checked it out yet.
http://www.bench-house.com/motherboard/asus/a7v266-e/a7v266-e_001.html

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sumadin on 11/17/01 09:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
My ASUS A7V266-E is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow 11/20/01. Now as soon as the rest of my components arrive I'll build and let you know how it works out. I have only seen one review at <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v266e/" target="_new">http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v266e/</A>

<font color=blue>Will Rogers never liked me.</font color=blue>

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have one coming wednesday and an Athlon XP 1800+ Thursday. I'll post my results ASAP

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
I SAY BUY the abit KR7A-RAID. abit is a good company. and they have all the good stuff not AMR CNR onboard this that or other crap. i like asus but if i'm paying that much for a motherboard it has to be nice. i like the 4 EIDE channels for support for 8 EIDE devices with riad and the new ultra ata133 4 ddr dimm slots oh and 6 pci and the kt266a chip set. and it supports all socket A. cool huh?

Heinrich

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
There is concern that an Alpha PAL 8045 does not fit on this board. Is that true can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I measured my ASUS A7V266-e board and compared it to the size of the PAL 8045. It appears one of the capacitors will touch the corner of the heatsink. The new Swiftech MCX-462 is notched on the four corners so it clears the capacitor.

<font color=blue>Will Rogers never liked me.</font color=blue>

G

Well I've heard nothing but good things about this board. It's my first attempt at building a kick butt system. So I went with the:
AsusA7V266-E Motherboard
AthlonXP 1700 Processor
Windows 2000
Micron 512megs PC2100 266mhz DDR memory
SB Live 5.1
Asus Geforce3ti200 64meg DDR card w/tv out
Enlight case
Antec 400 Watt Power Supply
Aopen 56X Cd-rom
Yamaha 16x10x40 Cd-RW
Sony Floppy
I've felt like a kid in a candy store when I finally sat down to put everything together. Well after assembly and setting all the jumpers and dip switches to default I went to hit the power button and nothing!!! So replaced power supply, 300 watt, no luck, 400 watt, no luck, checked cables, switches, cpu and memory,graphics card, all fine. Bad Board, got to be. So my first A7V266-E board is on it's way back to supplier. Very frustrating to say the least. So I ordered another one. It will be here Wed or Thu. I'll let you know how it goes. Really looking forward to getting it running. Just hate that I had to get the one bad apple in the bunch. But I learned a lot. Haven't given up on Asus products! Got really high hopes. Just need the patience, lol.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you probably only needed to put a dip switch in bios reset position, hit power button, put dip switch back, and hit power button again to get it to work.
Oh well thats what us nerds are here to tell you after you've sent it back, if no one made you feel silly then we'd all be idiots :smile:

G

Wish I would have known which one to reset. I tried everything and even had the local PC tech look at it.He was the one who told me it wasn't the processor that was bad. I know there were only 2 dipswitches on the board. I tried different settings for each. Just didn't do the changes after pressing the power and then pressing power again. Well I learned a lot about process of elimination. lol. Thanks!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have had the board up and running with an XP 1800+ for about 8 days. Only problem is the core is set at 1.8v (shows 1.87 in mb monitor) and the jumpers have no effect. Not complaining it works great!!

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

so would the general concessus be that this asus boards kicks ass cos i was tempted by the K75SA but after reading all the problems and hits and misses with the board and knowing my current luck i want to plump for a solid board would you all reccommend the asus A7V266-E

G

I have an Asus A7V266-E and it is perfect !

My system is like:
Asus A7V266-E
AthlonXP 1800+
Silverado Noise Control Cooler
Asus 7100 Combo Graphic
Toshiba DVD
TDK CDRW

Till this week I had a MSI Pro2 KT266A board with lots of problem and I made a change from my shop with his great Asus board and this was a great point for me :)

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I'm not too sure about that. As an interested near-term KT266A mobo buyer, I'm jumping in here to play Devil's advocate and say that I just don't see any compelling reason to buy the Asus board (for about a $30 premium) over the Soyo Dragon Plus. They are both great boards and they have almost the exact same features with the exception that the Soyo also has an integrated card-reader and LAN (which is standard). So convince me, if you can, why the Asus is the way to go.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

G

I do not know Soyo board but for me the main reason is stability.

I had a MSI Pro2 board just because of the USB 2.0 which is future communication standard and I would have it on my mainboard. That idea was great for me while buying my KT266A board. So I said "Why other boards, that is same for specs and also has USB 2.0 ports" :(

Everything was ok in mind but I forgot the main thing: computer must work before, without any problem. I had unbeliable problems with my board and the reason was generaly ~30 time reset per day.

I thought that these problem was because of dammed miki$oft XP and I decided to install it again. But I could not install it again after more than 20 times try. Than I picked my computer up and went to my shop and changed my board. This week I have my new board "Asus" and turn to home again (I had a great Asus P3B-F board before).

Now everything is perfect !

Just because of that I have an Asus board !

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
My A7V266-E also has an integrated card-reader but no built in LAN. My last 3 boards were ASUS and I have had great luck with them. The SOYO may also be a great board. I hope someone will post that has experiance with the SOYO so we can get more info.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

pat

Expert
I have the SOYO dragon+ with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 512 megs RAM, Radeon 64 DDR VIVO, ... and to date, it works great. No problem to install, everything goes well the first time I hit the power button.

I was considering the ASUS, but for the price, it just doesnt offer enough. And the SOYO seem more carefully desingned than the ASUS.

Just my 2 cents

->And this is...................ACTION!

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
If you need a 'fully featured' mobo, IMHO, those are the two best out there. But there can't be any arguement that the Soyo has even more features than the Asus - and for about $30 less!

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>