Windows locks up completely on internet

Last week I downloaded security updates KB873339, KB885835, KB886185, and
KB885836 as well as a device driver update C-Media Electronics
Inc-Sound-CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device. Ever since then, whenever I use the
internet (dialup connection) Windows XP Pro frequently completely locks up.
Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't even work. It is not consistent what web page I'm on at
the time (once it did it while I was in the middle of downloading another
update file). In fact I'll be surprised if I can successfully send this
message.

Guess what - your post made it.

If Windows Update showed you the 'You have successfully installed the
following updates...' message then you are good to go insofar as the updates
are concerned. The audio driver doesn't affect your Internet access.

It is likely a coincidence that your problem started after you installed the
updates. To be sure, you can uninstall the updates and roll back the driver.
Do this one at a time and see if your problem resolves. Whenever you install
or uninstall software you should disable your virus scanner as well as any
other protective software that interferes with script operations or changes
to the registry.

I think you'll find that the problem is not related to the updates.

Ted Zieglar

"NickJsky" <NickJsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last week I downloaded security updates KB873339, KB885835, KB886185, and
> KB885836 as well as a device driver update C-Media Electronics
> Inc-Sound-CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device. Ever since then, whenever I use
> the
> internet (dialup connection) Windows XP Pro frequently completely locks
> up.
> Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't even work. It is not consistent what web page I'm on
> at
> the time (once it did it while I was in the middle of downloading another
> update file). In fact I'll be surprised if I can successfully send this
> message.

Apparently it was the updated sound card driver. I noticed that the sound
card and the modem share the same IRQ, so I reverted the driver to the
previous version and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for your assistance.

--NIck