chkdsk errors, but chkdsk /f doesn't fix them

After the usual three chkdsk stages run OK (full chkdsk output below), it
gives these messages:

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

I put chkdsk /f on the schedule and rebooted. At boot time, chkdsk ran, gave
the usual messages, but none of the error messages. When chkdsk /f
completed, it forced another reboot, and when XP came up, I ran chkdsk
again -- and got the same error messages.

So, what can I do about this?

Thanks,

Chaz

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

Security descriptor verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

6811516 KB total disk space.

3538608 KB in 22638 files.

6504 KB in 1511 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

96336 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

3170068 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

1702879 total allocation units on disk.

792517 allocation units available on disk.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.
2 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk errors chkdsk doesn them

    Take a read here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688

    This will not necessarily solve your problem (you may not even have a
    problem, if for example you mount drives in a folder, which can cause chkdsk
    to be confused), but it may point a way.

    Do you have deeply nested folders (run into this a lot with music
    collections)?

    When you set up your system, did you do anything out of the ordinary when
    formatting your drive?

    Have any wierd files that you cannot delete?

    "Charles Rogers" <spamitup@spammer.com> wrote in message
    > After the usual three chkdsk stages run OK (full chkdsk output below), it
    > gives these messages:
    >
    > CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    >
    > master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    >
    > CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    >
    > Windows found problems with the file system.
    >
    > Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
    >
    > I put chkdsk /f on the schedule and rebooted. At boot time, chkdsk ran,
    gave
    > the usual messages, but none of the error messages. When chkdsk /f
    > completed, it forced another reboot, and when XP came up, I ran chkdsk
    > again -- and got the same error messages.
    >
    > So, what can I do about this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chaz
    >
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    >
    > File verification completed.
    >
    > CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    >
    > Index verification completed.
    >
    > CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    >
    > Security descriptor verification completed.
    >
    > CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    >
    > master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    >
    > CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    >
    > Windows found problems with the file system.
    >
    > Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
    >
    > 6811516 KB total disk space.
    >
    > 3538608 KB in 22638 files.
    >
    > 6504 KB in 1511 indexes.
    >
    > 0 KB in bad sectors.
    >
    > 96336 KB in use by the system.
    >
    > 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    >
    > 3170068 KB available on disk.
    >
    > 4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    >
    > 1702879 total allocation units on disk.
    >
    > 792517 allocation units available on disk.
    >
    > Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    >
    > process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    >
    > checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y
    >
    > This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

    If you get an error something to the effect "cannot open volume for direct
    access" There is some system/boot start device that is reading/writing to
    the drive before chkdsk can get a lock on the drive. Some anti-virus
    applications do this.

    You can also run
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP CD-Rom
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note: If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Charles Rogers" wrote:
    | After the usual three chkdsk stages run OK (full chkdsk output below), it
    | gives these messages:
    |
    | CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    |
    | master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    |
    | CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    |
    | Windows found problems with the file system.
    |
    | Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
    |
    | I put chkdsk /f on the schedule and rebooted. At boot time, chkdsk ran,
    gave
    | the usual messages, but none of the error messages. When chkdsk /f
    | completed, it forced another reboot, and when XP came up, I ran chkdsk
    | again -- and got the same error messages.
    |
    | So, what can I do about this?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Chaz
    |
    | CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    |
    | File verification completed.
    |
    | CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    |
    | Index verification completed.
    |
    | CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    |
    | Security descriptor verification completed.
    |
    | CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    |
    | master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    |
    | CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    |
    | Windows found problems with the file system.
    |
    | Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
    |
    | 6811516 KB total disk space.
    |
    | 3538608 KB in 22638 files.
    |
    | 6504 KB in 1511 indexes.
    |
    | 0 KB in bad sectors.
    |
    | 96336 KB in use by the system.
    |
    | 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    |
    | 3170068 KB available on disk.
    |
    | 4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    |
    | 1702879 total allocation units on disk.
    |
    | 792517 allocation units available on disk.
    |
    | Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    |
    | process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    |
    | checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y
    |
    | This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

Chkdsk Free Space Windows XP