Will my computer run these games on med/high settings?

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hey guys i'm new to tom's hard and..

Well i was just wondering if i will be able to run BF3, BF BC2, MW3, Skyrim, GTA IV, Crysis 2, and dead island.

Next friday I'm getting the AMD Radeon HD 6850 and i was wondering if it will be able to run those games

My specs when i have the card will be:

Asus cg5270
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.5 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6850
8GB Ram
ASUS P5QL-VM EPU motherboard - my best guess cause' it doesn't actually say it in any specs.
Windows 7 64-bit

I'm also getting a new corsair power supply to actually be able to run the card! 400w isn't enough i guess!

Thanks!

It depends on what resolution you are running at. For 1920x1080 you can definitely do medium/high for all those games. You won't be able to pull off ultra on Crysis 2 or BF3. Ultra settings on Skyrim does seem to require a lot of CPU horsepower, your card may be able to pull it off, but your CPU may be a bit too slow. Skyrim likes having 2 really fast cores rather than 4 slower cores. If you are running at a lower resolution you will see even better performance with the 6850.

As far as GTA IV goes, it is a really badly ported game that doesn't run all that well even on really good hardware. I have an i5 760 at 2.8GHz with a 6870 and the game will still hit occasional lag spikes when played on high settings at 1080p. Maximum settings won't be possible with a 6850 as GTA IV wants at least 1.5GB of video RAM for max settings, making it one of the only games where it is worthwhile to have a 2GB card.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies!

Though i'm actually running a resolution of 1440 x 900 haha

but yeah and to jemm... i said 400w isn't enough I guess because that's the one I have right now! :D

I'm getting a 600w psu so it won't be a problem. Yeah, I wasn't expecting Ultra settings with this card... do you think the CPU is bottlenecking the card though?

and btw..I'm not sure what your playable fps is..but mine is 35 and up, just because i've lagged in games so much that i got used to it! :p

Do you think I'll be able to run the games atleast 35 fps? personally i can't tell much difference between 35 and 60 fps.

At your resolution you'll be able to get 35 FPS and up with a 6850 on most of those games on ultra. GTA IV and Skyrim may be CPU bottlenecked at that resolution, and with Crysis 2 you would have to turn a few settings down to get an acceptable framerate. For most titles, the 6850 is actually more than you really need, and your CPU is more likely to hold you back for the most part. If possible, try overclocking your CPU, that will definitely help performance at your resolution.

aleb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yeah i've been searching for for cpu overclocking guides on my cpu.. but i fail to find any :(

i'm kind of a noob when it comes to overclocking :p
I'll see what the graphic card can do when it gets here and ill go on from there..i probably wont need to overclock the cpu but who knows

Well, anyways thanks alot for your help! :D