WiFi v WLAN

I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider search
across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I am
hoping someone here can tell me.

I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that they can
both access the internet. According to the documentation that came with
it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g or IEEE802.11b
(Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which I would like to
be able to use the network. I have found that one (so far) says that it
is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.

Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and are
they compatable.

Thanks

More about wifi wlan

    Thanks Thomas.

    I can pretend I know what I am talking about when I have to deal with
    the boys that sell all this techy stuff. Its nice to come in with
    something when they try to patronise me because I am over 25 and
    female. :-)

    Cheers

    H wrote:
    > I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider search
    > across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I am
    > hoping someone here can tell me.
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that they
    > can both access the internet. According to the documentation that
    > came with it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g or
    > IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which I
    > would like to be able to use the network. I have found that one (so
    > far) says that it is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.
    >
    > Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and are
    > they compatable.
    >
    > Thanks

    Actually, it used to be WiFi, but with the start of WiMax, (over the air
    high speed), and the confusion by some cell providers (WiFI/1X/EVDO/etc),
    The 802.11 a/b/g (and soon to also be i and j) is now sometimes termed WLAN
    to differentiate it (it is a term coming into more general use to
    specifically say only Wireless lan using 802.11 a/b/g... WLAN= Wireless LAN.
    Notice there are no standards yet about the names, just a general trend to
    try and make it easier for consumers to differentiate)

    Specifically on the PDA thing, I use an iPAQ 4551 that is termed WiFi, but
    that has been replaced by a new model that is now termed WLAN compatible.
    Silly enuf, the old model (4551) that is termed WiFi, actually only works
    with what is now called WLAN... :)

    "Peter Pan" wrote in message news:33r2mrF42b2fkU1@individual.net...
    > H wrote:
    > > I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider
    search
    > > across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I
    am
    > > hoping someone here can tell me.
    > >
    > > I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that
    they
    > > can both access the internet. According to the documentation that
    > > came with it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g
    or
    > > IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which
    > > would like to be able to use the network. I have found that one
    (so
    > > far) says that it is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.
    > >
    > > Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and
    are

    Actually, the wi-fi alliance tests product compatibility between
    manufacturers.
    They use the 802.11, 11b, 11g and 11a standards as their guide. If a
    product is
    wi-fi certified, it means it has been tested to work with other
    manufacturers products
    according to the standards. If it is not wi-fi certified then it has
    not been tested
    and therefore no guarantee it will function properly. A product that
    merely says
    wlan compliant is not necessarily a wi-fi certified product. All wi-fi
    certified
    products are labled as such.

    H wrote:

    > I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider search
    > across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I am
    > hoping someone here can tell me.
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that they can
    > both access the internet. According to the documentation that came with
    > it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g or IEEE802.11b
    > (Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which I would like to
    > be able to use the network. I have found that one (so far) says that it
    > is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.
    >
    > Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and are
    > they compatable.
    >
    > Thanks

    That are just two word for one thing.
    WiFi = WLAN = Wireless LAN

    Thomas

    I think it should say Wi-Fi Certified and carry the logo.

    http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2

    "H" <helente12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider search
    > across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I am
    > hoping someone here can tell me.
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that they can
    > both access the internet. According to the documentation that came with
    > it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g or IEEE802.11b
    > (Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which I would like to
    > be able to use the network. I have found that one (so far) says that it
    > is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.
    >
    > Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and are
    > they compatable.
    >
    > Thanks

    See what I mean about "no standards"... My fuji says "Wireless Enabled
    802.11b/g"....Guess it won't work with the AP I have been using it with for
    the last year... (or fuji didn't pay them :)

    Gary wrote:
    > I think it should say Wi-Fi Certified and carry the logo.
    >
    > http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2
    >

    > "H" <helente12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have looked through the FAQ's of various groups and a wider search
    >> across the Net, but cannot find the answer to this question, so I am
    >> hoping someone here can tell me.
    >>
    >> I have a wireless network at home with 2 PCs attached, so that they
    >> can both access the internet. According to the documentation that
    >> came with it to attach other devices they should be "IEEE802.11g or
    >> IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) compliant" I am thinking of buying a PDA which I
    >> would like to be able to use the network. I have found that one (so
    >> far) says that it is WiFi compliant. Most say WLAN compliant.
    >>
    >> Are these one and the same thing? If not what is the diference and
    >> are they compatable.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:29:43 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , "Peter Pan"
    <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

    >See what I mean about "no standards"... My fuji says "Wireless Enabled
    >802.11b/g"....Guess it won't work with the AP I have been using it with for
    >the last year... (or fuji didn't pay them :)

    WiFi is the standard. Some nonstandard or prestandard kit will still work,
    there's no law prohibiting noncertified kit from working in some cases, its
    merely that it doesn't meet all the standards' requirements, or that it
    predates them.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

Internet Wireless Networking