WinXP won't install on ABIT BE^-II v1.2 Mobo

G

I can't get Windows XP to install on the ABIT BE6-II v1.2 motherboard. It copies all the files to the HD in the dos window and then the HD light stays on and that's it. Anyone out there have XP installed on this Mobo?

Thanks,

-Snaggs

G

I got to messing it with some more. First off, I'm installing it from DOS. I went to the I386 dir and typed WINNT. It said it was copying the files to the hd, then there's a long pause. However, it DOES continue after about 75 seconds. Then it copies a bunch of stuff over. It looks almost like the WINNT install where it has the blue screen with the yellow progress bar at the bottom.

It makes it all the way to 100% and then it goes to reboot. When it comes back up, it gets a 0x0000007B error. I've looked this up on MS' web-site and it's a drive error. From what I can tell it's trying to access the CDROM that is was installing from. However, here's what I think is wrong.

First I formatted the C drive with the DOS from Windows 98. Then I booted from a Win98 Boot Disk. I told it to load the CDROM support so it loads the MSCDEX.EXE and it can find the CDROM. So it starts installing. When it gets time to reboot, it doesn't go through MSCDEX, it's going through whatever XP is trying to startup. At that point it doesn't have a driver for the F: (CDROM Drive letter) drive and therefore it can't access the CDROM so it throws the 7B Stop Message.

Now my question is, "How can I tell XP that the CD ROM is there"? Do I have to do this by specifying a Mass Storage Device? I put the Oak???.sys file for the CD support on a floppy, but it's looking for some kind of .oem file. I don't have the .oem file for this CD ROM driver, since it's the generic one from the Win98 boot disk.

I am using the UDMA66 port on the HPT370. It seems to access the HD ok, it's just having problems reading the CD ROM drive since there's no driver for it when XP comes back up.

How can I remedy this?

Thanks,

-Snaggs

G

The CD-ROM is not on the UDMA66 controller. It's plugged into IDE-2. I have 2 HD's on the 370 controller and 2 CD-ROMs on IDE-2.

Is there a way to make it boot from the CD? I've gone in the BIOS and said the CD should be first to boot, but it never does boot. It recognizes the drive, but it won't boot from it. I think it not recognizing the CD is the root of the evil here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, Maybe your dealing with a problem where BIOS is having a hard time deciding whether to boot from the stnadard controller or the highpoint controller?
Maybe you could try putting all your drives on the standard controller, loading up the drives, and then switching them back? Or maybe you should disable the standard controller and put your CD-Roms on the highpoint controller, do your settup, then switch back?
It really sounds like your problem originates from the use of two controllers, but I'm not sure, it's something I'd try. I've heard of problems with HPT drivers, but am not sure if this is your problem.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Kenneth,

You nailed it man! I put the main HD's on the Standard IDE-1 port and then it worked. I left everything else the same. For others that are having trouble here's what I did.

1. Backed up C Drive.
2. Formatted C Drive.
3. Shut-down and moved the main HD cables from the HPT370 to IDE-1
4. Booted to a Windows 98 Startup disk w/ CD ROM Support.
5. Changed to the Windows XP CD-ROM drive.
6. Changed directory to the I386 directory.
7. Typed WINNT and followed the directions from there.

It must have been the HPT370. At this time I'm still running in the standard mode. I'll get back to you as I'm ready to reboot and switch the cable back to the HPT370 connector for my main HD's.

Thanks again!

-Snaggs

G

Nope, it didn't work on the HPT370 controller. I guess the HAL in XP doesn't have a driver that supports it so it can't read the booting device.

Thanks again for all the ideas. Another happy customer!

Cheers,

-Snaggs