Monitor or video card going bad?

December 22, 2004 9:45:23 AM

How do I tell the difference if my monitor or my video card is going bad? My
symptoms are: ghosts, lines on lines of text, like in email, a hi-lighted
line of text will show a gray shadow-ghost across the entire screen. Reds
have that bright fuzzy glow about them, like an old TV going bad. I hope it
my monitor not my video card, because I have a Compaq and the video cards
are integrated into the motherboard. (I have updated my driver)

More about : monitor video card bad

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2004 1:01:55 PM

It's easy to tell:

Try your computer with a different monitor. Problem solved? If so, your
original monitor needs to be replaced.

Same problem with another monitor? Re-start your computer in safe mode.
Image look good? If so, then the video driver is corrupted. Either
re-install the driver or install the latest driver.

Same problem in safe mode? Your video sub-system is defective. Contact the
manufacturer of your computer, who will repair the problem under warranty.

Out of warranty? The easiest (and cheapest) solution is to buy a video card.
You can disable the on-board video from the BIOS.

Unless you dropped something on the motherboard, or caused an electrostatic
discharge, the culprit is most likely heat. In future, clean the dust and
debris out of the insides of your computer every six months.

--
Ted Zieglar

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I tell the difference if my monitor or my video card is going bad?
My
> symptoms are: ghosts, lines on lines of text, like in email, a hi-lighted
> line of text will show a gray shadow-ghost across the entire screen. Reds
> have that bright fuzzy glow about them, like an old TV going bad. I hope
it
> my monitor not my video card, because I have a Compaq and the video cards
> are integrated into the motherboard. (I have updated my driver)

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2004 1:01:56 PM

Ted you mentioned disabling onboard video. I have a Compaq with intergrated
everyhting. I installed a Nividia graphics card, updated the driver for it
and plugged my monitor into the graphics card. Everything is working fine. I
never disabled anything, is this something that has to be done?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> It's easy to tell:
>
> Try your computer with a different monitor. Problem solved? If so, your
> original monitor needs to be replaced.
>
> Same problem with another monitor? Re-start your computer in safe mode.
> Image look good? If so, then the video driver is corrupted. Either
> re-install the driver or install the latest driver.
>
> Same problem in safe mode? Your video sub-system is defective. Contact the
> manufacturer of your computer, who will repair the problem under warranty.
>
> Out of warranty? The easiest (and cheapest) solution is to buy a video card.
> You can disable the on-board video from the BIOS.
>
> Unless you dropped something on the motherboard, or caused an electrostatic
> discharge, the culprit is most likely heat. In future, clean the dust and
> debris out of the insides of your computer every six months.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How do I tell the difference if my monitor or my video card is going bad?
> My
> > symptoms are: ghosts, lines on lines of text, like in email, a hi-lighted
> > line of text will show a gray shadow-ghost across the entire screen. Reds
> > have that bright fuzzy glow about them, like an old TV going bad. I hope
> it
> > my monitor not my video card, because I have a Compaq and the video cards
> > are integrated into the motherboard. (I have updated my driver)

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2004 1:08:44 PM

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I tell the difference if my monitor or my video card is going bad?
> My
> symptoms are: ghosts, lines on lines of text, like in email, a hi-lighted
> line of text will show a gray shadow-ghost across the entire screen. Reds
> have that bright fuzzy glow about them, like an old TV going bad. I hope
> it
> my monitor not my video card, because I have a Compaq and the video cards
> are integrated into the motherboard. (I have updated my driver)

The easiest way would be to, if possible, try the monitor on another
computer. If the problem persists then it's the monitor. If the monitor
looks right on another computer it's your computer.

If another computer is not available you might call a local shop and see if
they will test it for you. I imagine if they see potential for selling you a
new monitor they'd be okay with it. ;-)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2004 3:03:13 PM

Not to worry: Your BIOS evidently disables the onboard video when it detects
the presence of a video card. Enjoy the new view.
--
Ted Zieglar

!