raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am planning to build a new system. I just want to know if it is possible to build a dual celeron system. I have my eyes on 2 boards. 1, Abit VP6, well, they said it doesn't support celeron. 2, Asus, CUVX4-D, I don't know if this one support Celeron. Do you? ANy what other motherboard out there is good for dual celeron, or Duron

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Here's a little excerpt from the www.2cpu site:
What kind of CPU's do I need for a multiprocessor system?

When this FAQ was first authored, you didn't have too many choices. Today, you can use any of the following processors for SMP:
Intel Processors:

Pentium Pro: (4-Way Glueless)
Pentium II: (2-Way Glueless)
Pentium III: (2-Way Glueless)
Pentium Xeon: (II, III, and IV) (8-Way Glueless)
Celeron I: (2-Way Glueless) (Not officially supported by Intel. Due to the popularity of the Abit BP6 motherboard, Intel disabled SMP in the Celeron II.)

AMD Processors:

AMD Athlon MP: (2-Way Glueless)
Socketed Athlons: (2-Way Glueless) (AMD only supports the Athlon MP for SMP applications. Some socketed Athlons will work, but compatibility isn't guaranteed.)
Duron: (2-Way Glueless) (Again, unsupported by AMD.)

What is Glueless SMP? Glueless refers to a processors ability to communicate with other processors without special "glue" to tie them all together. Using special bridges and other circuitry, a vendor can offer virtually any SMP configuration they want. I personally had a six-way Pentium Pro system, and you can buy 32 and 64 processor Xeon systems from several high-end system vendors. As far as I know, the largest number of processors ever used in one system (excluding clustering) was 9,000, in a Pentium Pro 200/1MB Cache system for Sandia Labs.

You'll find it at http://www.2cpu.com/FAQ/2cpusmpfaq.htm

I don't believe that any socket 370 motherboards, other than the BP-6 will support dual celerons. They'll support one celeron with the terminator chip in the second socket.
Step up to the PIII.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork