Internet Explorer

Alright, well I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2 on my
laptop. Nothing else is installed yet but sometimes when I use IE, it
doesn't properly close. When I close it, the instance disappears from the
desktop, taskbar, and the "Applications" listing in the task manager.
However, it remains in the running processes and continues to use up CPU and
RAM. Why does it do this and how can this be fixed?
2 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer

    Just don't use it ;)

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    Good Luck!
    ---
    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):

    "LargeNostril" wrote:

    > Alright, well I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2 on my
    > laptop. Nothing else is installed yet but sometimes when I use IE, it
    > doesn't properly close. When I close it, the instance disappears from the
    > desktop, taskbar, and the "Applications" listing in the task manager.
    > However, it remains in the running processes and continues to use up CPU and
    > RAM. Why does it do this and how can this be fixed?

    Hi, LargeNostril.

    > Why does it do this and how can this be fixed?

    Is this a problem for you, or just curiosity? Why do you think it needs to
    "be fixed"?

    It's hard for some users to shake off the Win9x/ME mindset when they move up
    to WinXP. But WinXP works much differently from Win9x/ME. We had to help
    Win9x/ME manage resources, but WinXP doesn't need our help. Just leave it
    alone until it actually creates a problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "LargeNostril" <LargeNostril@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Alright, well I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2 on
    > my
    > laptop. Nothing else is installed yet but sometimes when I use IE, it
    > doesn't properly close. When I close it, the instance disappears from the
    > desktop, taskbar, and the "Applications" listing in the task manager.
    > However, it remains in the running processes and continues to use up CPU
    > and
    > RAM. Why does it do this and how can this be fixed?

Internet Explorer Windows XP