help configuring motherboard bios for athlon xp

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Hey all,

Just about finished replacing my old MB,CPU, memory and vid card. I got everything installed, but the bios on the motherboard apparently needs some tweaking, since my Athlon XP 1600 is showing up as 1050mhz.

can anyone tell me how, or point to a guide that shows how, to configure the bios to get the optimum performance out of the machine?

I've got an MSI KT266 Pro2 motherboard, with the VIA KT266a chipset and an ahtlon xp 1600 cpu, with (1) 512 pc2100 memory chip.

thanks

G

It sounds to me like the FSB is set to 100mhz as opposed to 133. I'm not sure what the XP 1600 is supposed to run at, but I think you'll need to change the multiplier as well. I don't really know my way around MSI's BIOS, so I couldn't really tell you how to do this. If you just poke around though, I'm sure you'll find it. I have a buddy who has the K7T266, and he needed a BIOS update before he could change the FSB.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
yeah...just before you posted this i decided to change the GSB from 100 to 133 since i was pretty sure thats what it was supposed to be at. I'm just hesitant to go around changing stuff like that unless i'm sure.... dont want to fry the cpu. Its running as 1600+ in the bios, which is 1.4ghz

Thanks for the help

G

Don't worry about frying the CPU, it was built to run at 133. I'm glad it worked out for you.