Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

D-Link DI-524 v/s USR8054

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:44:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I am trying out these two routers. In the limited period that I have
with me to do the experiments or use them, I am not sure if I can make
judgements regarding long term performance of these two routers. So I
just of asking all of you, which one is better in:
1) firmware upgrade frequency (resolving f/w problems)
2) harwdware stability (which one has more chancing of failing(?) sooner)
3) tech support (doesn't matter that much actually)
4) stability and quality of the web interface (wish they has telnet, or
better still, ssh)

This is my first time starting to use a hardware router. Been using
Linux machien as router till now (which was up till I stopped networking
or rebooted the machine). So maybe some of the questions are odd. Just
feel free to give your own suggestions.

thanks,
HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

More about : link 524 usr8054

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:14:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I've got a DI-524.

"H. S." <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:k3ZBd.2895$P%3.292402@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> I am trying out these two routers. In the limited period that I have with
> me to do the experiments or use them, I am not sure if I can make
> judgements regarding long term performance of these two routers. So I just
> of asking all of you, which one is better in:
> 1) firmware upgrade frequency (resolving f/w problems)

I flashed the firmware before using it and it works fine.

> 2) harwdware stability (which one has more chancing of failing(?) sooner)
> 3) tech support (doesn't matter that much actually)

Tech support is excellent, as least the fellow I got.

> 4) stability and quality of the web interface (wish they has telnet, or
> better still, ssh)
>
> This is my first time starting to use a hardware router. Been using Linux
> machien as router till now (which was up till I stopped networking or
> rebooted the machine). So maybe some of the questions are odd. Just feel
> free to give your own suggestions.
>
> thanks,
> HS
>
> --
> Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to
> obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

--
Herb
herb@herbstein.com
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:05:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Apparently, _H. S._, on 02/01/05 15:44,typed:
>
> I am trying out these two routers. In the limited period that I have
> with me to do the experiments or use them, I am not sure if I can make
> judgements regarding long term performance of these two routers. So I
> just of asking all of you, which one is better in:
> 1) firmware upgrade frequency (resolving f/w problems)
> 2) harwdware stability (which one has more chancing of failing(?) sooner)
> 3) tech support (doesn't matter that much actually)
> 4) stability and quality of the web interface (wish they has telnet, or
> better still, ssh)
>
> This is my first time starting to use a hardware router. Been using
> Linux machien as router till now (which was up till I stopped networking
> or rebooted the machine). So maybe some of the questions are odd. Just
> feel free to give your own suggestions.
>
> thanks,
> HS
>


In both the routers, the underlying OS seems to be quite similar (menu
items, log messages, etc.). However, when I subjected both routers to
exploits from this page:
http://www.pcflank.com/advanced.htm

(on the page after you click on Continue) one by one (important).
USR8054 was successful in blocking all of them. DI-524 broke down
consistenly against:
1. ssping (needed power cycling after this)
2. targa3 (needed reconnecting after this)

Also, DI-524 can allocate static IP addresses through DHCP via it's DHCP
server. USR8054 cannot.

DI-524 has URL blocking, USR8054 doesn't. (doesn't matter much).

DI-524's web interface did not work under Mozilla for me, USR8054's did.

DI-524 has DDNS feature (so no-ip works in here, quite nice) but USR8054
does not (really wish it had).

USR8054 has 256 bit WEP, DI-524 only till 128. Buth both have WPA and
WPA-PSK.

Given the exploits experience above, looks like USR8054 is going to be
the winner.

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.
!