Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim crashing out of no where?

Last response: in Video Games
November 19, 2011 3:31:13 AM

I've been playing Skyrim for the last few days without a hitch. I had a graphical issue with being outside, where the sun would 'blink,' but with some updates it seemed to have fixed the problem. Now, out of no where, I'm having an issue that whenever I try to go outside to "Skyrim" the game crashes to desktop. I tried loading an old game, where I'm already outside, but it crashed while loading.
I can be inside and run around and have no problems. As soon as I start to load outside, though, I'm booted out. This issue came out of no where.. I didn't change any settings, wasn't experiencing any problem before. I'm not quite sure how I would fix this.
Does anyone have any ideas?? I'm feeling rather desperate.

More about : skyrim crashing

November 19, 2011 3:41:38 AM

I narrowed it down a bit, with playing with my saves. My character was in the Blue Palace in Solitude, and whenever she tried leaving the palace to walk around inside Solitude's city walls, the game crashed to desktop.

However, I loaded a much older save I had from Riften. When she went outside in Riften, the game didn't crash. I had no problem then.

So, it sounds moreso like a bug on Bethesda's side. Anyone else having this issue?
m
l
November 19, 2011 3:31:53 PM

Aw, man, no one else is experiencing this?
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2011 3:49:48 PM

So, what you're saying... it sounds like you've started experiencing the crashes after you updated the game? Could you try and reinstall and play without the updates?
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:12:41 AM

shesaxombie said:

What did you update?
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:26:40 AM

I didn't update my game, I updated the graphics card. I was playing the game without an issue until this Solitude business.
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:31:11 AM

AMD or Nvidia ? For AMD, I can confirm that the catalyst drivers 11.10 work fine for Skyrim. As for Nvidia, I think the best driver right now is 285.79 beta. I have a geforce GTS 450 so I am currently using the 285.79 beta and it has been stable , at least for me.
m
l
November 20, 2011 3:15:44 AM

Nvidia, I have the 285.79 beta driver. I don't think it's a graphical issue... I think it's a bug in the game.
m
l
November 21, 2011 7:00:35 PM

Yes I finally figured out the culprit: Large Address Aware no longer works after the update. Meaning game goes back to the default 2GB memory limit after updating = lots of crashing especially if you use texture mods. And I don't recommend attempting to reapply the Large address aware patch with the update because it actually causes the game to be unable to launch. I did that and it'll give you a 'Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim failed to start (error 51)'.

Until they fix this the only solution for now reinstall the game without updating. Then go back and apply the Large Address Aware patch. Should work either that or figure out someway to undo the update then reapply Large address.

Edit: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=202 as the problem is being discussed in the comments section.
m
l
November 21, 2011 9:48:06 PM

What update?
m
l
November 22, 2011 12:25:50 AM

shesaxombie said:
I narrowed it down a bit, with playing with my saves. My character was in the Blue Palace in Solitude, and whenever she tried leaving the palace to walk around inside Solitude's city walls, the game crashed to desktop.

However, I loaded a much older save I had from Riften. When she went outside in Riften, the game didn't crash. I had no problem then.

So, it sounds moreso like a bug on Bethesda's side. Anyone else having this issue?

I am! It's happening and it's real! It's not your PC, but the game. BF3 as well as other games play fine. I crash then immediately load BF3 and game runs fine. Skyrim is now virtually unplayable and NOBODY is talking about it! I have the same issue as you did. It came out of nowhere, and EVERYTIME now that I try to go outside or do anything the game just crashes. I also am experiencing graphical errors like ice blue trees! The problem seems to be progressive. At first I'd play awhile then crash, now I'm crashing everytime I start a new game and try to teleport to a new city, now the blue trees! No gamesites or Bethesda themselves have mentioned this! I'm angry now. I've only got 18hrs into the game, but thats' still 18hrs wasted. I've tried re-installing, validating the files, all to no avail. I've seen it blamed on everything from Steam, to the sound being a problem, a DX problem ect. All of these different players have different remedies and nothing works or works long term. I have no answer for you.
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:21:21 AM

shesaxombie said:

This started happenning to me after I updated the 1.2 patch.

I started to crash whenever I tried to leave a building. I got around it by "waiting" (press "T"). I would wait until night time and then I could exit the building without crashing. Strange but it worked for me.
m
l
December 7, 2011 4:28:16 PM

Its a Bethdesia title; why is anyone expecting the game to be stable? Oblivion and Fallout 3 are STILL unstable to this day after all...
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:48:15 PM

The update patch installed a Digital Rights Management(DRM) rootkit on your system to make sure any system process your running is not a threat to the well being of Bethseda and will shut down what it deems necessary lol. This is just the thing that will make people pirate the game anyway.
Also a lot of users experience massive slow down after 60 hours of saved game play just like oblivion. I don't know if that is true for everyone.
So basically in a nutshell skyrim you'll have to really haul butt and do the main quest line before the big sixty hits i know pretty pathetic. Basically, maybe in a few months the modders will think of a way to change it around for no steam hopefully and get back to the way things were. Until then.

And I doubt there won't be a fix for the sixty hours overtime crashes either so just remember to buy a horse as early on as you can, don't waste time looking at anything at all always keep it in your quest log and maybe if you get the feel of the game and know your way around after ten hours you might as well start all over to save a few hours time since you now know it all and can get there faster. I know pretty crazy but its what we gotta do in order to successfully play bethdesia games.
m
l
January 5, 2012 1:19:05 AM

Warrior24_7 said:
I am! It's happening and it's real! It's not your PC, but the game. BF3 as well as other games play fine. I crash then immediately load BF3 and game runs fine. Skyrim is now virtually unplayable and NOBODY is talking about it! I have the same issue as you did. It came out of nowhere, and EVERYTIME now that I try to go outside or do anything the game just crashes. I also am experiencing graphical errors like ice blue trees! The problem seems to be progressive. At first I'd play awhile then crash, now I'm crashing everytime I start a new game and try to teleport to a new city, now the blue trees! No gamesites or Bethesda themselves have mentioned this! I'm angry now. I've only got 18hrs into the game, but thats' still 18hrs wasted. I've tried re-installing, validating the files, all to no avail. I've seen it blamed on everything from Steam, to the sound being a problem, a DX problem ect. All of these different players have different remedies and nothing works or works long term. I have no answer for you.

It has nothing to do with any of the currently rumored problems (drivers, steam, direct x, failing hardware, etc). It is a problem with Skyrim and save files over 20MB. Skyrim will not, due to a coding error, read or save a save file over 20Mb properly. This problem is completely on Bethesda.

Some have fixed this by just disabling the auto-save features entirely and only saving manually; obviously this doesn't work for everyone. The game is still insanely buggy right now; I would not expect much attention on this problem, if any at all, from Beth.

Sorry for the bump.
m
l
January 16, 2012 2:28:37 PM

Yep I've got this aweful problem too. I thought it was me but after reinstalling and reading forums it's the game. I have well over 110 hours on my guy and would HATE to loose him. I can load the game but the load screen to any game ends with a hang. I can hear my HD loading info and then it stops. the load screen still on and I can still move and rotate what ever is on the load screen but cant go any further...

Any idea when a patch will come out.. I cant play any more :( 

CS
m
l
Anonymous
January 30, 2012 10:53:05 AM

Tweak the game with care (ini+mods). Being not careful results in corrupt savefiles. Always keep a copy of working savefiles before modifing Skyrim!
Made the same experience...now it runs rocksolid! I had to reduce some parameters in the inifile (skyrimprefs.ini) and mods because where too much (crashes at certain locations).

The only thing i can think of to make those corrupt savefiles working again is to reduce details to the minimum (delete skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini, set to lowest settings with launcher, exit launcher ,reedit skyrim.ini for ugridvalue if changed!<-any lower value in skyrim.ini than savegame's value will crash), delete ALL mods and after that try to load again. :pt1cable: 

If this doesn't work...your savegames will be dead forever! Sorry! :??: 
m
l
April 3, 2012 11:55:57 PM

Wow... I thought this was just me... thank god. I cant wait till bethesda comes out with the patch! for the mean time... Back to Minecraft... Whoopdedo -.-... I've tried to reinstall.... I've deleted every single Skyrim associated file on my computer including saves :(  then reinstalled it. This is making me sad :( 
m
l
July 27, 2012 7:54:30 AM

If you don't care to start new game,
(I don't rememer where exactly but)
please ignore main quest as a dragonborn,
then Dragons don't appear,
this saved me from crushing often(though mine is PS3 ver.)!
(only 3times freezing while more than 30hours playing)

.. but sorry I don't know what to do, After you
start the main quest!! x0 :D 
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:59:05 PM

shesaxombie said:

have this same problem and so far can't do anything i can exit out of other buildings i figured out when i was walking around but i can't leave blue palace so far nothing i've done has fixed it so far this is the only problem i am having but i haven't checked around everywhere i just hope this can get fixed some time and like you it came out of nowhere i was just walking in for a quest but as soon as i tried exiting it creashed
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:08:39 AM

its the hd texture pack dlc
m
l
!