Finding a budget gaming laptop.

sashag

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hi All!

This is my first time posting to this forum, and I need some assistance in choosing a 'new' laptop. I would be buying the laptop to 'replace' my current seven-year-old desktop computer. My 'budget' would be $500, and I would like to use the laptop for gaming, but NOT the new games. I only play the game Luxor Amun Rising and that's it. I have looked at the following laptops here in Canada. I would appreciate any feedback with regards to computer speed, and video resolution. Since I would be using the laptop mainly at home, battery power and longevity aren't that important, and neither is the amount of hard drive space, as the game I'm playing isn't too labour intensive and I wouldn't be using the laptop to store a lot of movies or music. I have the iPod for the music. Okay, that being said, I've looked at the following computers. Some are still over the $500 limit, but I'm hoping that I can find some laptops under the $500.

Toshiba Satellite L745D-00D AMD Sabine™ Quad-Core Mobile ($498 at Walmart) ProcessorA6-3400M 2.3GHz (14" screen) with 4GB DDR 3 RAM, 640 GB Hard Drive

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Intel Core i3-2310M Laptop (TOS-PSC2EC-001001)
(4GB DDR 3 RAM, 500GB hard drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000)

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" AMD Sabine Quad-Core Laptop (PSAY1C-010001)
($579)(Native Screen Resolution 1369 x 768, Processor Speed 2.3 GHz, 4GB RAM)

Toshiba Satellite 15.6" AMD E-Series Dual Core E350 Laptop (C650D-00L)
($370)(Native Screen Resolution 1366 x 768, 4GB RAM, Processor Speed 1.6 GHz)

Three of the four laptops I've mentioned were from FutureShop and the first laptop was from Walmart here in Canada. Of the four laptops mentioned, only the first laptop didn't have the screen resolution listed. Since I'm getting the laptop as a replacement for my old desktop, which size of screen would still be better? The 14" size would be more portable if I decided to take it out for a spin, but the bigger 15.6" would have bigger screen size, which might make it easier for my weak eyesight. If anyone has any better model suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!