Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Repair Rebooting at 34 minutes - Any ideas?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:33:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

My PC had been acting up for the last two months. It finally would not boot,
but it was a hardware issue. I did a lot of trial and error, but determined
it was the mainboard or power supply. I replaced them both and while testing
put in a new video card. Needless to say after these transplants XP Pro
would not boot. Safe and Normally just rebooted the machine. So I went to
Repair.

It starts the GUI setup but when it gets to 34 minutes (and shortly after it
installed the graphics card drivers) it just reboots. It keeps doing this.
I have found a couple KB articles about Setup hanging at 34 minutes, but none
of the resolutions resolve my issue. Any suggestions on where to look or
what to do? There are no PCI cards in (all have been removed.)

Many thanks and happy holidays,

Chris

More about : repair rebooting minutes ideas

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 12:31:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Chris,

1. Pls disconnect any third party peripherals such as a printer or scanner
if connected
2. Load BIOS defaults and then try to reinstall the setup
3. Disable the USB EMULATION OR USB CONTROLLER OPTION in the BIOS and any
integrated devices

pls, try out these steps




"chriswebb_balt" wrote:

> My PC had been acting up for the last two months. It finally would not boot,
> but it was a hardware issue. I did a lot of trial and error, but determined
> it was the mainboard or power supply. I replaced them both and while testing
> put in a new video card. Needless to say after these transplants XP Pro
> would not boot. Safe and Normally just rebooted the machine. So I went to
> Repair.
>
> It starts the GUI setup but when it gets to 34 minutes (and shortly after it
> installed the graphics card drivers) it just reboots. It keeps doing this.
> I have found a couple KB articles about Setup hanging at 34 minutes, but none
> of the resolutions resolve my issue. Any suggestions on where to look or
> what to do? There are no PCI cards in (all have been removed.)
>
> Many thanks and happy holidays,
>
> Chris
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 12:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

FareshG,

Thanks for the suggestions...Still no luck. Basically, I have nothing other
than the drives and video card plugged in. I disabled the on-board Ethernet,
USB controller and Audio. Still dies at exactly the same place. Would
anything helpful be in the setup*.log files?

Many thanks,

Chris

"FareshG" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> 1. Pls disconnect any third party peripherals such as a printer or scanner
> if connected
> 2. Load BIOS defaults and then try to reinstall the setup
> 3. Disable the USB EMULATION OR USB CONTROLLER OPTION in the BIOS and any
> integrated devices
>
> pls, try out these steps
>
>
>
>
> "chriswebb_balt" wrote:
>
> > My PC had been acting up for the last two months. It finally would not boot,
> > but it was a hardware issue. I did a lot of trial and error, but determined
> > it was the mainboard or power supply. I replaced them both and while testing
> > put in a new video card. Needless to say after these transplants XP Pro
> > would not boot. Safe and Normally just rebooted the machine. So I went to
> > Repair.
> >
> > It starts the GUI setup but when it gets to 34 minutes (and shortly after it
> > installed the graphics card drivers) it just reboots. It keeps doing this.
> > I have found a couple KB articles about Setup hanging at 34 minutes, but none
> > of the resolutions resolve my issue. Any suggestions on where to look or
> > what to do? There are no PCI cards in (all have been removed.)
> >
> > Many thanks and happy holidays,
> >
> > Chris
Related resources
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 5:59:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:33:06 -0800, "chriswebb_balt"

>My PC had been acting up for the last two months. It finally would not boot,
>but it was a hardware issue. I did a lot of trial and error, but determined
>it was the mainboard or power supply. I replaced them both and while testing
>put in a new video card. Needless to say after these transplants XP Pro
>would not boot. Safe and Normally just rebooted the machine. So I went to
>Repair.

>It starts the GUI setup but when it gets to 34 minutes (and shortly after it
>installed the graphics card drivers) it just reboots. It keeps doing this.

Sounds like a "static" failure pattern that points away from bad RAM,
for example (hopefully RAM testing's been done?). I'd suspect:
- sick HD
- secondary file or file system damage from the "bad days"
- active malware
- version soup
- bad installation disk or, less likely, the drive that reads it

>I have found a couple KB articles about Setup hanging at 34 minutes, but none
>of the resolutions resolve my issue. Any suggestions on where to look or
>what to do? There are no PCI cards in (all have been removed.)

I'd have done a formal virus check before trying the install (and I'd
have avioded NTFS originally, with this day in mind).



>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Proverbs Unscrolled #37
"Build it and they will come and break it"
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 5:59:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

cquirke,

Thank you for the response too. RAM seems to be ok. It works fine in
another Mainboard on another PC and I have tried booting with one or the
other and both and the same thing happens.

Let's see if I can address the other points to see if you have any further
suggestions.
- Bad HD - I ran a Drive Fitness Test on the drive when the problems began
occurring as I have had to replace (warranty) that drive before. However,
everything came up rosy.
- file damage - don't know about that...any ideas on this or is
format/reinstall the route to fix that?
- active malware - I religously virus/spyware scan the PC and did deep scans
when problems were happening. Again, I would scratch this off the list
- version soup - Could be I guess....format/reinstall the solution here.
- bad installation disk or, less likely, the drive that reads it - It is an
original XP (no SP1 or 2) and could be bad, but I have never had to use it so
it has been stored away safely for 3 years.

> I'd have done a formal virus check before trying the install (and I'd
> have avioded NTFS originally, with this day in mind).

Virus Check proved clear and the NTFS thing (now you tell me :) )

Thanks for your assistance. If you have any other suggestions please let me
know.

Many thanks,

Chris

"cquirke (MVP Win9x)" wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:33:06 -0800, "chriswebb_balt"
>
> >My PC had been acting up for the last two months. It finally would not boot,
> >but it was a hardware issue. I did a lot of trial and error, but determined
> >it was the mainboard or power supply. I replaced them both and while testing
> >put in a new video card. Needless to say after these transplants XP Pro
> >would not boot. Safe and Normally just rebooted the machine. So I went to
> >Repair.
>
> >It starts the GUI setup but when it gets to 34 minutes (and shortly after it
> >installed the graphics card drivers) it just reboots. It keeps doing this.
>
> Sounds like a "static" failure pattern that points away from bad RAM,
> for example (hopefully RAM testing's been done?). I'd suspect:
> - sick HD
> - secondary file or file system damage from the "bad days"
> - active malware
> - version soup
> - bad installation disk or, less likely, the drive that reads it
>
> >I have found a couple KB articles about Setup hanging at 34 minutes, but none
> >of the resolutions resolve my issue. Any suggestions on where to look or
> >what to do? There are no PCI cards in (all have been removed.)
>
> I'd have done a formal virus check before trying the install (and I'd
> have avioded NTFS originally, with this day in mind).
>
>
>
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Proverbs Unscrolled #37
> "Build it and they will come and break it"
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
>
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:21:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:31:01 -0800, "chriswebb_balt"

>cquirke,

Hi!

>Thank you for the response too. RAM seems to be ok. It works fine in
>another Mainboard on another PC and I have tried booting with one or the
>other and both and the same thing happens.

OK. IMO the best tester for RAM is MemTest86, which is currently
being maintained by both www.memtest86.com and www.memtest.org with
SIMMtester at www.simmtester.com being good too. I'd use MemTest in
All test mode (C, 2, 3) and expect it to take several hours to loop.

Having said that, I'd expect bad RAM to cause more random errors,
although a fresh install done in the same way each time could cause
RAM that's bad at a particular location to always fail the same way.

>- Bad HD - I ran a Drive Fitness Test on the drive when the problems began
>occurring as I have had to replace (warranty) that drive before. However,
>everything came up rosy.

OK. I'm a bit skeptical about "quick" tests, as they usually don't
test the HD surface at all, but just ask for historical SMART info and
(this is the bad bit) give a glib editorialized reply.

Put it this way: How keen do you expect an HD maker to be, when it
comes to doing warranty replacements? How much importance do you
think they will place on your data's safety?

You'd ideally want both a surface test and full SMART history detail.
If SMART shows that failing sectors have already started to be swapped
out, the surface test may look OK, but you'd know all is not well.

>- file damage - don't know about that...any ideas on this or is
>format/reinstall the route to fix that?

I thought you were doing a wipe and re-install? As formatting
re-initializes the file system, I'd not expect logical file system
errors to persist through that process.

>- active malware - I religously virus/spyware scan the PC and did deep scans
>when problems were happening. Again, I would scratch this off the list

If you are formatting and re-installing, then the relevance of malware
is limited to the following possibilities:
- Master Boot Record infectors (rare today, usu incompat with NT)
- infected boot, installtion, driver etc. disks
- infected material restored after the rebuild
- exposure to the Internet or other infected networks

>- version soup - Could be I guess....format/reinstall the solution here.

A solution, and a brute-force one at that.

>- bad installation disk or, less likely, the drive that reads it - It is an
>original XP (no SP1 or 2) and could be bad, but I have never had to use it so
>it has been stored away safely for 3 years.

OK. Ah; how big is the HD? The original XP CD will be particularly
weak on HDs over 137G in size.

>> I'd have done a formal virus check before trying the install (and I'd
>> have avioded NTFS originally, with this day in mind).

>Virus Check proved clear and the NTFS thing (now you tell me :) )

How did you do your virus check, and what was it a check of?

Oh; now I get the context - it's a repair install. Well, if you have
SP'd your PC, that may well invalidate the ability to do a repair
install unless you also slipstream the SP into your installation disk.

MS should offer to create a slipstreamed installation CD to replace
your original, as part of the installation process of any SP that
breaks repair install and/or Recovery Console. But they don't.

You say your CD is XP SP0; what SP level is the installation you are
trying to repair? What size HD, again?

Are you on NTFS? If you aren't, then at least you can formally scan
for viruses using a DOS mode diskette boot and DOS-based av.



>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Proverbs Unscrolled #37
"Build it and they will come and break it"
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:21:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

cquirke,

Thanks again for the response and for the Mem Tester recommendations.

I'm sorry I was not more clear about the Repair install. That is the deal.
The disk is an SP0 and the PC was kept up to date with SP2 and all recent
critical updates. The HD is 80 GB. The Virus Scan I use is Norton and
again, I did a deep scan when the problems began. I have not done one since
the problems started. I'll give that a whirl. I have an extra HD (60GB)
that I may just substitute and do a clean install. I am getting frustrated
enough with this and it may just be worth a full house cleaning.

Many thanks,

Chris

"cquirke (MVP Win9x)" wrote:

> How did you do your virus check, and what was it a check of?
>
> Oh; now I get the context - it's a repair install. Well, if you have
> SP'd your PC, that may well invalidate the ability to do a repair
> install unless you also slipstream the SP into your installation disk.
>
> MS should offer to create a slipstreamed installation CD to replace
> your original, as part of the installation process of any SP that
> breaks repair install and/or Recovery Console. But they don't.
>
> You say your CD is XP SP0; what SP level is the installation you are
> trying to repair? What size HD, again?
>
> Are you on NTFS? If you aren't, then at least you can formally scan
> for viruses using a DOS mode diskette boot and DOS-based av.
>
>
>
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Proverbs Unscrolled #37
> "Build it and they will come and break it"
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
>
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:27:01 -0800, "chriswebb_balt"

>I'm sorry I was not more clear about the Repair install. That is the deal.
>The disk is an SP0 and the PC was kept up to date with SP2 and all recent
>critical updates. The HD is 80 GB.

You may indeed be unable to do a "repair install" of SP0 over SP2.
Instead, you may need to slipstream SP2 into SP0 and thus make a
replacement SP2 installation CDR that will work.

As your HD is < 80G, I don't see SP0's failure to support > 137G as a
factor in this, as it would likely be on a larger HD.

>The Virus Scan I use is Norton

That's Windows-based, isn't it? I wouldn't trust that to exclude
active traditional malware (virus). If you're on FATxx, do a formal
scan from DOS mode; if you're on NTFS, well... good luck.

>I have an extra HD (60GB) that I may just substitute and do a
>clean install.

What I might suggest is this:
- pull out the 80G
- drop in the 60G
- install XP and your Norton av there
- firewall on, and update Nortion av
- now add the 80G as extra HD and scan it from there



>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
"He's such a character!"
' Yeah - CHAR(0) '
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
!