Why roaming in Tulsa?

I was in Tulsa, Ok., recently. My verizon wireless phone showed a solid
triangle, which I understand to mean roaming. I'm on the America's Choice
plan. The triangle was solid as soon as I arrived at the Tulsa
international airport and stayed that way throughout my visit to Tulsa. As
an aside, my ExpressNet wireless PC card didn't allow me to log on. Once I
flew to Dallas the triangles disappeared.

I called Verizon while in Tulsa and asked if I would get hit with roaming
charges, and they said I was in an extended area not a roaming area. But
they couldn't explain why the triangle was solid.

So, if a triangle is flashing that's suppose to mean extended area? But if
the three lines of the triangle are solid (but white in the middle) that's
roaming?

One odd thing is that in most areas my ExpressNet indicator shows a solid
triangle, such as when I'm in San Jose, Calif., but I'm not charged for
roaming.

In regard to Tulsa, Verizon said I would not have to pay roaming charges but
I was worried nonetheless and limited cell phone use. Just interested if
anyone has had similar experiences and if there is a way to get some peace
of mind.

> I called Verizon while in Tulsa and asked if I would get hit with roaming
> charges, and they said I was in an extended area not a roaming area. But
> they couldn't explain why the triangle was solid.
>
> So, if a triangle is flashing that's suppose to mean extended area? But if
> the three lines of the triangle are solid (but white in the middle) that's
> roaming?
>
> One odd thing is that in most areas my ExpressNet indicator shows a solid
> triangle, such as when I'm in San Jose, Calif., but I'm not charged for
> roaming.
>
> In regard to Tulsa, Verizon said I would not have to pay roaming charges
but
> I was worried nonetheless and limited cell phone use. Just interested if
> anyone has had similar experiences and if there is a way to get some peace
> of mind.

Don't think it's it but when was your last roaming data base update *228
option 2 ?

smoke11 wrote:
> I was in Tulsa, Ok., recently. My verizon wireless phone showed a solid
> triangle, which I understand to mean roaming. I'm on the America's Choice
> plan. The triangle was solid as soon as I arrived at the Tulsa
> international airport and stayed that way throughout my visit to Tulsa. As
> an aside, my ExpressNet wireless PC card didn't allow me to log on. Once I
> flew to Dallas the triangles disappeared.
>
> I called Verizon while in Tulsa and asked if I would get hit with roaming
> charges, and they said I was in an extended area not a roaming area. But
> they couldn't explain why the triangle was solid.

Error in the Preferred Roaming List that is loaded into your phone, most likely.

If Tulsa and Dallas are on different bands 1900 vs 800Mhz and one or the
other is broken then the phone may roam on the wrong band unable to
see/recieve the correct signal. But maybe the roaming list is the problem
I've got a error before the phone reported invalid list, just did the *228
and everything was ok the second time.