Running virtual dummy terminal?

adrian18w

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Hi everyone. Is it possible to run a virtual windows 2000 server and also a dummy terminal that would do everything on the dummy server?

RichPLS

Champion
I have been running with a dummy for years... [/shrugs]

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Terminal services should allow that, and I remember products that allowed connection of just a keyboard/monitor (maybe via USB?) to the host PC, but I don't know if they're still available, or where to go. Its been a few years...

Also, terminal services aren't cheap on Win2K server.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

adrian18w

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
What do you mean by saying that terminal services aren't cheap on win2k server? The problem is to do it virtualy.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Virtually? Do you mean have the extra sessions active in windows on the server's console? If so, it's technically possible, I think. Haven't heard of a program to do it however.

I think you can have multiple TS sessions active concurrently on a remote PC.

TS isn't cheap. IIRC, for 5 users (the minimum, I recall) the license is over $750. If the above is available, I don't know if you'd be able to get away without a license (after the 90-day trial of course). Administrative mode won't work either, as activating the admin console remotely disables it locally, at least as I remember.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

riser

Illustrious
Ok, if you have a Windows 2k or 2k3 server running terminal services, default is 2 connections.

You can have multiple computers connect in and run programs off the server.. kind of like the older days when everyone ran mainframes.

I'm not sure on the pricing, but it won't be cheap.
You'll need some kind computer to access the server via terminal services. A thin client (dumb terminal) would work, they run around 800-100 dollars, if not cheaper, but you don't have to worry about upgrading them since they're basic and do everything on the server anyhow.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
On 2k (don't know about 2k3) you can have as many connections as you want - just every 90 days you have to fix the registry in the client pc.
[/been there, done that]

Mike.

adrian18w

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Hmmm, thats kinda not what i was asking for. You guys are talking about normal server and normal dummy terminal, as normal i mean that they are two seperate physical computers; however i'm looking to run a virtual server using software like virtual pc or something that does the same thing, and also run dummy terminal virtually. Is that possible?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The legit use (without add'l fees) is administrative mode. One remote session that takes over the local console when connected. (I could be wrong on it taking over the local console, but I'm certain that it's a single remote session. This is for 2k. Don't have 2k3 server experience re: that.

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Huh? I'm lost now. I gave you the "It's technically possible but I don't know of any products to do it" answer to running virtual sessions on the console. Now you want a virtual server on the server??? [/boggle]

If I can ask, why would you need either or both of them? I can't think of a reason...

Mike.

adrian18w

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Why? I want to be able to see how they work, how they connect, and other things, but since i have only one computer I have to get arround that.

riser

Illustrious
Well put in a a 4gb hard drive and do a fresh install.. you can't do what you're talking about.. it wouldn't run good at all.

They have demo cds that have precoded things you can do.. you load the CD and it gives you a virtual desktop of a server, but you can't do anything but look around with it.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
If he was running XP Pro, it comes with a free copy of IIS. That would do for a server, but he still needs to isolate his console session from the server (i.e. he can't log on to his own system). I'm sure he could get some old computer cheap (under $100) and have his remote up in no time. Then just hook them via TCP/IP and log on from the terminal.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>