WINXP+SP2 RUNS TOO SLOW

Hi,
I need any and all advice on how to clean out the junk on my computer and
get it going fast as lightning again. I am on TW Cable/Earthlink, which is
extremely fast, with a great model that is always on and my Compaq Computer
Presario has slowed so much that I think I may just toss it in the ocean.
HELP. I am a bit of a novice (NO TRAINING ON COMPUTERS), am self taught but
know that I haven't learned enough. I have almost 5 years of training but
still haven't learned how to speed up this silly thing. I do the defraging,
and the disk cleanup, but I may have forgotten some of the basic things to
do. Any ideas would be GREAT. Thanks.

Elizabeth in NC
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp runs slow

    Elizabeth;
    Start here:

    Also make sure you have the latest Windows XP drivers, especially you
    network card.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    <stra265@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I need any and all advice on how to clean out the junk on my computer and
    > get it going fast as lightning again. I am on TW Cable/Earthlink, which
    > is extremely fast, with a great model that is always on and my Compaq
    > Computer Presario has slowed so much that I think I may just toss it in
    > the ocean. HELP. I am a bit of a novice (NO TRAINING ON COMPUTERS), am
    > self taught but know that I haven't learned enough. I have almost 5 years
    > of training but still haven't learned how to speed up this silly thing. I
    > do the defraging, and the disk cleanup, but I may have forgotten some of
    > the basic things to do. Any ideas would be GREAT. Thanks.
    >
    > Elizabeth in NC

    "stra265@bellsouth.net" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I need any and all advice on how to clean out the junk on my computer and
    > get it going fast as lightning again. I am on TW Cable/Earthlink, which is
    > extremely fast, with a great model that is always on and my Compaq Computer
    > Presario has slowed so much that I think I may just toss it in the ocean.
    > HELP. I am a bit of a novice (NO TRAINING ON COMPUTERS), am self taught but
    > know that I haven't learned enough. I have almost 5 years of training but
    > still haven't learned how to speed up this silly thing. I do the defraging,
    > and the disk cleanup, but I may have forgotten some of the basic things to
    > do. Any ideas would be GREAT. Thanks.
    >
    > Elizabeth in NC
    >

    > Beth, go into Computer Management (administative Tools) and look for "services" section - usually near the bottom -- the standard microsoft presentation is something like 23 or 24 processes!!. Start Taskmgr.exe in c
    :\windows\system32 and see which is the CPU- or HD hog. Unfortunately you
    can't connect the program using the most CPU time or HD space to the service
    hogs. But unless you you are running enterprise software, COM+ and
    Distributed NTFS are the culprates. Also LSASS. Turn off System Restore amd
    Indexing ( if you really need to restore your system, it will be from the CD,
    system Restore is for trivia you can fix yourself). The best was is to turn
    off service by service starting with the most frivolous.

    A big problem could be that one of your start up programs can't get its
    modules -- trying running MSCONFIG.EXE and turn off the start up programs one
    by one.

    Another problem may be a virus or spyware -- they hide in special folders
    which you can't see (Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, Tasks. etc)
    disguised as system files with Microsoft style name, and are the most serious
    threat.

    In my humble opinion, I'll start with the MSCONFIG or the Taskmgr first and
    just pray that you aren't already infected by a virus -- goo luck.

    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com

    Good Luck!
    ---

    How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

Windows XP