"Failed to initialize renderer...." Please help?

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I am hoping someone here can help me out. I went to Skyrims support for help, but never got a response. That was days ago. I was able to play at first, and everything looked beautiful! So, of course, I just HAD to go and try to get even MORE out of the game. I, like a lot of people, very much enjoy how games look. Basically, I went into the SkyrimPrefs.ini file, and tweaked the settings. This was the first try, and it did work very good. So I attempted to take it a few steps further... and then I got the aforementioned error. And now, I cannot even get it to start up after hitting "play". And I did go into "options" in the games menu, and set it to the lowest for resolution to get it working, nada. Hm, what else can I bring up.... Oh, ok there's something that may be the cause, other than the pc's settings for resoultion. There is two places where the game is located. Both in "J:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim" and then there is "J:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim"

And yes, before I even attempted anything, I always back up files, ALWAYS. (If this is the wrong section to ask, I will gladly copy/paste it in the proper section)

"Failed to initialize renderer. Your display doesn't support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Skyrims Launcher under "display settings". "

Here are the requirements for the game:

Minimum System Requirements
* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation
Recommended System Requirements
* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 6 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation
Supported Graphics Cards:
Minimum – ?
Recommended -Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher

Here are the specs, for my machine:

Mobo: I am trying to figure out what I have for a mobo, cannot find the box it came in. Nor will Everest ID it, oddly enough.

CPU : AMD Athlon 2 X4 645 3.10 GHz

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Bus (And yes, I have updated the drivers)

Power Supply: OCZ 600W "Stealth X Stream"

RAM: 4 GBs (can't recall brand, but it's definitely top-of-the-line)

Monitors native resolution is 1920x1080 , I believe. I am pretty certain this is the highest my machine can go, when it comes to resolution. My television/monitor is an Element 32" LCD HDTV. I cannot get to the model, unfortunately, because I have it on a wall bracket. I mean, I WILL take it down to see if I must. But that would be a pain in the butt so I figured I'd try asking without doing that first.

Knowing all this, can anyone offer up some advice on what the issue could be?

Oh, and I am using DirectX version 9.0.If there is anything else that needs knowing, please ask and I'll do my very best to answer. Thanks to anyone who helps.

P.S. UPDATE! It now runs in Windowed mode, but not full? What could this mean?

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I am running Windows XP on my system now. If need be, I will just reinstall Windows, maybe a different version. I have (paid for) a couple different discs so its not that big of a deal. Maybe even install dual boot if need be...

The version of Windows I am running is one I sort of messed with myself. Took out all the junk that Micro$oft typically throws in there, that is useless. But I HAVE played plenty of games on it, so I know that can't be it. Also, as I mentioned before, I have played Skyrim. And, again, it ran beautifully. No lags, pretty high fps, etc. Which do you all think , if you have a preference, would be the best OS to have when running most games, and does it matter? I also , sometimes, use Game Booster, to shut down applications I do not need.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
YESS!!! I GOT IT TO WORK!!!

Ok, what I did was put it into windowed mode. And I can now play it in ULTRA!!! omg I am so excited lol.

Anyone know what the issue could be now, how to play it full rather windowed mode!?

I found this out by reading a problem someone else had, someone mentioned they can play it in windowed mode! My gf is going to be thrilled! Haha