MB for Athlon XP

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I have a Gigabyte K7-VXT-P, and I like it a lot. There are other forms of it, like the -H and -E, that have other features that better suit overclocking, but I don't overclock. I would say you couldn't go wrong with the Gigabyte.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

super_upper

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
I just built my new rig with a Gigbyte GA-7VTX-H,XP 1700+, 512MB PC 2100, and spare AGP video. I like it except that the on-board sound is kind of disappointing. I had the Creative SB 128 PCI on another system and this on-board version is not up to par imo. I'm waiting on a SB Live 5.1. The on-board LAN was great however. I was able to tweak my settings to get 1500k down and 500k up from my cable connection, which was far faster than my previous D link 10/100 pci card on my old Athlon system. Gigabyte products have never given me any problems. This mobo also has dual BIOS.

Good Luck.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i have the vtx-P as well. had it since it's been out. haven't had any complaints about the board. cept i would have liked a few common bios features to be available, but their not too important. the only other thing would be the sound. though i'm not a big audio guy, i just don't like crackling when you have music with some bass. but i used the k7s5a for a little while before and have to say the onboard sound of the vtx-P is 10x better than ac97 that the k7s5a uses, and i think that's what MSI uses as well.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

srstudios

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
If you are still thinking about the MSI K7T266 Pro2 be sure to check-out review at lostcircuits.com. Some problem with CPU heat warning enabled in BIOS that could cause problems/poor performance. There is also at least one other post here at Tom's with some problems with that board, can't remember where.

TRENDING THREADS