Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

creating boot disc for windows xp home edition

Tags:
  • Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 2:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello, I'm sure this has likely been posted before, so please bear with me. I
would like to know how to create a boot disc ffor windows xp home edition. I
would like to reformat, and have been advised I need to create a boot disc.
Can anybody out there help? Thank you in advance.

Big bearded Buddy

More about : creating boot disc windows home edition

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:31:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

The Windows XP CD is a boot disk. No need to create one.

Ted Zieglar

"Big Bearded Buddy" <BigBeardedBuddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AB8371DD-5C94-4117-999B-3C7FD135A731@microsoft.com...
> Hello, I'm sure this has likely been posted before, so please bear with
> me. I
> would like to know how to create a boot disc ffor windows xp home edition.
> I
> would like to reformat, and have been advised I need to create a boot
> disc.
> Can anybody out there help? Thank you in advance.
>
> Big bearded Buddy
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 2:12:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
>> The Windows XP CD is a boot disk. No need to create one.
> ====================
> But Sharon said FIRST we need to make a change in the BIOS. How is
> that done? Where is the BIOS and how is it changed? And what about
> those of us who bought our PCs with WXP already installed? Are those
> disks from the PC mfg bootable as well?

That depends on the OEM/Computer Manufacturer. You will have to contact
them to see what type of restoration they provided you with - they may not
have provided you with an actual Windows XP CD, but a set of restoration CDs
or a restoration partition...

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:59:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find all
the answers to our questions."

Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
--
Ted Zieglar


"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:ee3gJaK7EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o QBCTb96EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I have a suggestion for you, instead of posting basic questions all over
> >Usenet: Buy an introductory level book on Windows XP. Here's one that's
> >reliable and straightforward:
> >
> > "Microsoft® Windows XP Plain & Simple, Second Edition"
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/7484.asp
>
> ## I've about had it with books that don't cover the problems and
questions
> that come up. I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we
> can't find all the answers to our questions. If they were in the
helpfiles
> and book I wouldn't be here asking.
>
> > And here's the most important advice you can have right now: "Protect
Your
> > PC"
> > www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> ## It is protected by:
>
> Spybot
> Adware
> Norton AV & WinDr.
> StartupInspector
> SpywareBlaster
> BHODeamon
> CodeStuffStarter
> HijackThis
> CWShredder
>
> FS~
>
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Instead of being rude about it, why not answer his question?

The BIOS is sort of tricky to get into. What you may want to do is find
your manufacturers website and search the FAQ on their site. Sometimes they
have the info there. If you cannot find it, the easiest way to do this is to
reboot your computer. Typically somewhere in the corners have the key you
will need to hit in order to get into the BIOS setup. It is more then likely
going to be F1, F2, or Delete. When you see your manufacturers name show up,
press the key and you should enter the setup of the machine. You are trying
to locate the Boot Order/Boot Sequence. The default on this should be set to
Hard Drive first. You will want to alter that to CD-ROM first. After that,
drop in your CD, reboot and follow the rest of their walk through.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> "I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find all
> the answers to our questions."
>
> Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:ee3gJaK7EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o QBCTb96EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > >I have a suggestion for you, instead of posting basic questions all over
> > >Usenet: Buy an introductory level book on Windows XP. Here's one that's
> > >reliable and straightforward:
> > >
> > > "Microsoft® Windows XP Plain & Simple, Second Edition"
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/7484.asp
> >
> > ## I've about had it with books that don't cover the problems and
> questions
> > that come up. I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we
> > can't find all the answers to our questions. If they were in the
> helpfiles
> > and book I wouldn't be here asking.
> >
> > > And here's the most important advice you can have right now: "Protect
> Your
> > > PC"
> > > www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > ## It is protected by:
> >
> > Spybot
> > Adware
> > Norton AV & WinDr.
> > StartupInspector
> > SpywareBlaster
> > BHODeamon
> > CodeStuffStarter
> > HijackThis
> > CWShredder
> >
> > FS~
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You're not familiar with the OP.
--
Ted Zieglar


"hooch" <hooch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FEDDBF79-3530-468D-80CC-4F4CDE315909@microsoft.com...
> Instead of being rude about it, why not answer his question?
>
> The BIOS is sort of tricky to get into. What you may want to do is find
> your manufacturers website and search the FAQ on their site. Sometimes
they
> have the info there. If you cannot find it, the easiest way to do this is
to
> reboot your computer. Typically somewhere in the corners have the key you
> will need to hit in order to get into the BIOS setup. It is more then
likely
> going to be F1, F2, or Delete. When you see your manufacturers name show
up,
> press the key and you should enter the setup of the machine. You are
trying
> to locate the Boot Order/Boot Sequence. The default on this should be set
to
> Hard Drive first. You will want to alter that to CD-ROM first. After
that,
> drop in your CD, reboot and follow the rest of their walk through.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > "I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find
all
> > the answers to our questions."
> >
> > Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> >
> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > news:ee3gJaK7EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > >
> > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o QBCTb96EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > >I have a suggestion for you, instead of posting basic questions all
over
> > > >Usenet: Buy an introductory level book on Windows XP. Here's one
that's
> > > >reliable and straightforward:
> > > >
> > > > "Microsoft® Windows XP Plain & Simple, Second Edition"
> > > > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/7484.asp
> > >
> > > ## I've about had it with books that don't cover the problems and
> > questions
> > > that come up. I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still
we
> > > can't find all the answers to our questions. If they were in the
> > helpfiles
> > > and book I wouldn't be here asking.
> > >
> > > > And here's the most important advice you can have right now:
"Protect
> > Your
> > > > PC"
> > > > www.microsoft.com/protect
> > >
> > > ## It is protected by:
> > >
> > > Spybot
> > > Adware
> > > Norton AV & WinDr.
> > > StartupInspector
> > > SpywareBlaster
> > > BHODeamon
> > > CodeStuffStarter
> > > HijackThis
> > > CWShredder
> > >
> > > FS~
> > >
> >
> >
> >
December 28, 2004 6:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I must have forgot this was the internet and everyone thinks they are funny
on here. My bad on that. Here does this help you? LMAO OMFG Watta
moron!!!11!ONE!!

Pffft.

Why not just tell him what he's looking for instead of being a tool and
spamming garbage like I'm doing? It's not your fault you don't know how to
get into the BIOS. Maybe a book or two would help you out eh?

Warm Regards,
Hooch

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> You're not familiar with the OP.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "hooch" <hooch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FEDDBF79-3530-468D-80CC-4F4CDE315909@microsoft.com...
> > Instead of being rude about it, why not answer his question?
> >
> > The BIOS is sort of tricky to get into. What you may want to do is find
> > your manufacturers website and search the FAQ on their site. Sometimes
> they
> > have the info there. If you cannot find it, the easiest way to do this is
> to
> > reboot your computer. Typically somewhere in the corners have the key you
> > will need to hit in order to get into the BIOS setup. It is more then
> likely
> > going to be F1, F2, or Delete. When you see your manufacturers name show
> up,
> > press the key and you should enter the setup of the machine. You are
> trying
> > to locate the Boot Order/Boot Sequence. The default on this should be set
> to
> > Hard Drive first. You will want to alter that to CD-ROM first. After
> that,
> > drop in your CD, reboot and follow the rest of their walk through.
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >
> > > "I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find
> all
> > > the answers to our questions."
> > >
> > > Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
> > > --
> > > Ted Zieglar
> > >
> > >
> > > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > news:ee3gJaK7EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > >
> > > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:o QBCTb96EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > >I have a suggestion for you, instead of posting basic questions all
> over
> > > > >Usenet: Buy an introductory level book on Windows XP. Here's one
> that's
> > > > >reliable and straightforward:
> > > > >
> > > > > "Microsoft® Windows XP Plain & Simple, Second Edition"
> > > > > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/7484.asp
> > > >
> > > > ## I've about had it with books that don't cover the problems and
> > > questions
> > > > that come up. I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still
> we
> > > > can't find all the answers to our questions. If they were in the
> > > helpfiles
> > > > and book I wouldn't be here asking.
> > > >
> > > > > And here's the most important advice you can have right now:
> "Protect
> > > Your
> > > > > PC"
> > > > > www.microsoft.com/protect
> > > >
> > > > ## It is protected by:
> > > >
> > > > Spybot
> > > > Adware
> > > > Norton AV & WinDr.
> > > > StartupInspector
> > > > SpywareBlaster
> > > > BHODeamon
> > > > CodeStuffStarter
> > > > HijackThis
> > > > CWShredder
> > > >
> > > > FS~
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
December 29, 2004 12:20:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

But, you're still rude.
"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:o dJsXiR7EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You're not familiar with the OP.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "hooch" <hooch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FEDDBF79-3530-468D-80CC-4F4CDE315909@microsoft.com...
>> Instead of being rude about it, why not answer his question?
>>
>> The BIOS is sort of tricky to get into. What you may want to do is find
>> your manufacturers website and search the FAQ on their site. Sometimes
> they
>> have the info there. If you cannot find it, the easiest way to do this is
> to
>> reboot your computer. Typically somewhere in the corners have the key you
>> will need to hit in order to get into the BIOS setup. It is more then
> likely
>> going to be F1, F2, or Delete. When you see your manufacturers name show
> up,
>> press the key and you should enter the setup of the machine. You are
> trying
>> to locate the Boot Order/Boot Sequence. The default on this should be set
> to
>> Hard Drive first. You will want to alter that to CD-ROM first. After
> that,
>> drop in your CD, reboot and follow the rest of their walk through.
>>
>> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>>
>> > "I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find
> all
>> > the answers to our questions."
>> >
>> > Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar
>> >
>> >
>> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > news:ee3gJaK7EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > >
>> > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > > news:o QBCTb96EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > > >I have a suggestion for you, instead of posting basic questions all
> over
>> > > >Usenet: Buy an introductory level book on Windows XP. Here's one
> that's
>> > > >reliable and straightforward:
>> > > >
>> > > > "Microsoft® Windows XP Plain & Simple, Second Edition"
>> > > > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/7484.asp
>> > >
>> > > ## I've about had it with books that don't cover the problems and
>> > questions
>> > > that come up. I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still
> we
>> > > can't find all the answers to our questions. If they were in the
>> > helpfiles
>> > > and book I wouldn't be here asking.
>> > >
>> > > > And here's the most important advice you can have right now:
> "Protect
>> > Your
>> > > > PC"
>> > > > www.microsoft.com/protect
>> > >
>> > > ## It is protected by:
>> > >
>> > > Spybot
>> > > Adware
>> > > Norton AV & WinDr.
>> > > StartupInspector
>> > > SpywareBlaster
>> > > BHODeamon
>> > > CodeStuffStarter
>> > > HijackThis
>> > > CWShredder
>> > >
>> > > FS~
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:59:28 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>

>"I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find all
>the answers to our questions."
>
>Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.

Actually, "how do I make a boot disk?" is one of those innocent newbie
questions that points to a profound issue.

Techs will say "everyone knows there's no such thing as a bootable NT.
If your HD can't boot, all you can do is fiddle through Recovery
Console, or try a blind 'repair' install. That's just the new
darkness that a 'better' OS brings to the party."

The newbie's response - that this is unacceptable negative value over
what one has come to expect from DOS to Win9x - is spot-on.

In fact, you may not even have those options, for two reasons:

1) Large OEM legal-but-crippled OS CDs

Big OEMs can legally ship with no CD at all, or a crippled CD that
cannot run Recovery Console (RC) or do any sort of interactive or
repair install. Some will even destroy all partition on the HD.

2) Version soup issues after instlling a Service Pack

If your installation CD is of an earlier Service Pack (SP) level than
your current HD installation - e.g. you bought the PC as XP SP1 and
installed SP2 to update it - then RC may refuse to run, and attempts
to do a repair install may fail.



>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The rights you save may be your own
>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"And all that is needed are reading skills, a sense of initiative and a
willingness to take responsibility."
--
Ted Zieglar


"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:eQ$r1Ud7EHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ehrkHyZ7EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > "If the answers aren't in the books or helpfiles there is nowhere else
to
> > go."
> >
> > Is that so? Have you heard of the world wide web? There is much, much
more
> > easy-to-understand information there than you can possibly find in a
> > newsgroup. And all that is needed are reading skills, a sense of
> > initiative and a willingness to take responsibility.
> ------------------------------------------------------
> There is? Where? I've run into commercial sites trying to sell me some
> "fix" or other software I don't want. I've run into screwballs that know
> less than I do giving advice. I've tried Forums that sold my addy to
> spammers and were nothing but flame wars. I have spent hours in the past
> digging through Google results and still not finding the answer to a
> question I had. At least here I stand a better chance of getting someone
> who knows what they're talking about. If you're just here to kill time
and
> insult people - why bother? Find something more productive to do with
your
> time then discouraging people from looking for genuine help on a MS NG
with
> a MS software issue. I think you have a "personal" problem. Use your
> killfile for starters. :-)
>
> Maybe you can have all these MS NGs removed with a message for people to
> search the web.....
>
> FS~
>
December 29, 2004 9:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Then, why don't YOU do that?
"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:ehrkHyZ7EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> "If the answers aren't in the books or helpfiles there is nowhere else to
> go."
>
> Is that so? Have you heard of the world wide web? There is much, much more
> easy-to-understand information there than you can possibly find in a
> newsgroup. And all that is needed are reading skills, a sense of initiative
> and a willingness to take responsibility.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o TvYzaX7EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Qaeg2O7EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> "I already have the WindowsXP for Dummies book and still we can't find all
>>> the answers to our questions."
>>>
>>> Judging by your posts, it appears that this book is over your head.
>>> --
>>> Ted Zieglar
>> ===================
>> That's why I'm HERE asking questions. :-) If the answers aren't in the
>> books or helpfiles there is nowhere else to go. If you don't like helping
>> people and answering questions, or only like dealing with certified
>> computer technicians, you may be on the wrong NG. I've gotten plenty of
>> excellent advice and help here over the past 18 months by people who do
>> want to help us non techie types.
>>
>> FS~
>
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 12:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23TJfwbd7EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "And all that is needed are reading skills,

* Of which you seem to lack since you cannot comprehend my last post.

a sense of initiative

* I'm not a MS or PC technician. Is that a CRIME on these NGs.

and a
> willingness to take responsibility."

* Why don't you? If you feel people should call MS or spend hours and hours
searching the web for answers why are you and these NGs here? Never mind,
don't bother to answer.... you have no answer. Have a wonderful New
Years....

>> FLUSH <<

FS~

--------------------
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:34:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"If you feel people should call MS or spend hours and hours searching the
web for answers why are you and these NGs here?"

Where do you think I find the information for most of the questions I answer
in these newsgroups? On the web. If I can do it, you can too. For the most
part, I'm nothing more than a librarian. And in the majority of cases, the
very best answer in a newsgroup contains little more than a link to the
information on the web. That way, the poster gets more than just an answer,
they learn how to find the answer on their own the next time.

Newsgroups were never intended to teach people how to use their computers.
Usenet doesn't have the infrastructure. Besides, the web is crammed full of
fabulous information that you just can't get in a newsgroup.

Over the years virtually everything I've learned about computers has come
from the web. Is there some special skill that I have that you don't that
makes me so proficient at finding information? Unlikely. All that is needed
are reading skills, a sense of initiative and a willingness to take
responsibility.

I've never called Microsoft technical support, so I can't comment on that.
In fact, I haven't picked up the phone to any technical support group in
years.

Ted Zieglar

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:uKgb25h7EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23TJfwbd7EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> "And all that is needed are reading skills,
>
> * Of which you seem to lack since you cannot comprehend my last post.
>
> a sense of initiative
>
> * I'm not a MS or PC technician. Is that a CRIME on these NGs.
>
> and a
>> willingness to take responsibility."
>
> * Why don't you? If you feel people should call MS or spend hours and
> hours searching the web for answers why are you and these NGs here? Never
> mind, don't bother to answer.... you have no answer. Have a wonderful New
> Years....
>
>>> FLUSH <<
>
> FS~
>
> --------------------
>
>
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:34:39 -0500, "Ted Zieglar"

>"If you feel people should call MS or spend hours and hours searching the
>web for answers why are you and these NGs here?"

As the names suggest, these newsgroups are here for discussion of
various aspects of the computing experience; in this particular case,
perfrmance and maintenance of Windows XP. While many posts here are
either searching for advice, or giving advice in response to such
posts, that's not the sole purpose of these newsgroups.

>Where do you think I find the information for most of the questions I answer
>in these newsgroups? On the web. If I can do it, you can too.

If you have one problem that you want an answer to, then sure; you can
do that. If you have an interest in the topic, then you may want to
read the newsgroup regularly, contributing as you go along.

But the main thing is; don't post to a newsgroup if you have no
intention of reading replies to your post in that newsgroup.

>very best answer in a newsgroup contains little more than a link to the
>information on the web. That way, the poster gets more than just an answer,
>they learn how to find the answer on their own the next time.

There's a downside to "off the page" stuff, as pointed to by links;
reduced peer review. If you search the web for answers, you have to
rate the quality of what you find - and that may require a level of
knowledge no every user has. Whereas if you get bad advice in a
newsgroup, other posters reading that advice will chip in to fix.

>The web is crammed full of fabulous information that you just can't
>get in a newsgroup.

And vice versa, perhaps. The nice thing about usenet is that it's not
dominated by the loud megaphones of high-budget media.

>...virtually everything I've learned about computers has come from the web.

Interesting; a lot of what I learned has been from newsgroups, since I
started swotting up Win95 in the beta period of 1995.

Some of the difference depends on what kind of Internet access you
have. I'm on ADSL now, so I'm as happy to Google for web sites as to
read news. But until last year, I was on flat-rate dialup, and while
I could stay online as long as liked from the ISP's point of view, our
dearly-beloved telcomm company charges local phone calls per second.

So I hated having to stay online to search or read stuff on the web; I
much preferred downloading newsgroup headers in one or two minutes,
deleting and marking these, then reconnecting for a few more minutes
to pull down the message bodies I wanted.

I could then read and reply offline, and what I got was concentrated
ASCII content rather than wads of junk banners and graphics, plus
having to stay online while reading in case I had to click a "next
page" link. I hate ZD-Net style articles that serve two paragraphs of
content per page, surrounded by ads and flash junk, and thus having to
click 7 "next page" links to read one article!



>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Dear Quirke: Can you please tell me how to download newsgroup headers,
delete and mark these, and read and reply offline? I am a new newsgroup
poster/reader/non-techie, and have tried to save particular posts that I
thought were very useful to my particular queries. All I can do at the
moment is to press ALT+L+Enter, and that only saves the URL address to a
particular newsgroup that I was looking at.
--
CEC4
>
> So I hated having to stay online to search or read stuff on the web; I
> much preferred downloading newsgroup headers in one or two minutes,
> deleting and marking these, then reconnecting for a few more minutes
> to pull down the message bodies I wanted.
>
> I could then read and reply offline, and what I got was concentrated
> ASCII content rather than wads of junk banners and graphics, plus
> having to stay online while reading in case I had to click a "next
> page" link. >