Your question

POLL: Dual CPU motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2001 5:28:20 PM

Hi All:

I'm planning to embark on my first "BYOPC" (Build your own PC) adventure this winter. For very shallow reasons (like "it appeals to the macho instinct in me"), I've decided to build a dual-CPU PC. I was wondering if this user community could suggest what the best dual-CPU motherboards are and why. Price is definitely a constraint, so I'm looking for motherboards that are very good and yet don't burn a large hole in the wallet. "Maximum bang for the buck" is my mantra. I don't mind using older CPUs (Pentium IIs, IIIs and even Pros are welcome). I've tried to read some of the reviews on AnandTech.com, tomshardware.com, sharkytech.com and a few others, but I'm not satisfied with what I read.

Some of my other wish-list items that may constrain the choice of motherboard are:

* I'm not SCSI crazy
* I'd like to have the option of trying some overclocking at a later date
* I'd like to have max. memory of at least 768M.
* Integrated sound, graphics and/or NIC is OK with me, as long it doesn't create any problems with Linux and/or Win2K.

Thanx a lot in advance,
krmtfrz
November 19, 2001 5:50:12 PM

what are you gonna do with it? i don't think you'll need a dual PC...go for single...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2001 5:59:13 PM

Hmmm...I thought the second sentence in my post made it clear....I'm not looking for justification....I'm looking for recommendations for good dual-CPU motherboards only...

Thanx anyway,
krmtfrz
Related resources
November 19, 2001 7:16:13 PM

At the moment, the only Dual CPU MB that I know about for Athlon MP systems in production that is under $300 is the Tyan Tiger MP. Tyan has another one that is over 300 that has SCSI, Lan, and other stuff built in.

Asus is coming out with one, the <A HREF="http://event.asus.com.tw/EXPO2001/product/rd_mb_p4b-e.h..." target="_new">A7M266-D</A>. I've heard of several difficulties of getting the Tyan board to work properly, and ASUS is usually a very high quality and reliable motherboard builder, so it might be worthwhile waiting to see what price it comes out at.

I'm sure there are a few more on their way, so it looks like the best thing to do is wait about 2 months for them to be released.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
November 19, 2001 8:40:02 PM

If you can wait until next month, Asus will be releasing their AMD760MPX board, which is bound to outperform the Tyan Tiger (based on the AMD760MP chipset). First of all the Tyan's BIOS is ultra conservative with few performance features; Asus will surely improve upon that! Secondly, the 760MPX chipset doubles the bandwidth of the 760MP's pipeline between the northbridge and southbridge. Thirdly, the 'MPX' supports true 64-bit PCI slots which may be very useful to someone like you, who can afford the extravagance of a duallie without justification! :wink:

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>
November 20, 2001 12:41:16 AM

if you are a gamer, im pretty sure no games will be able to use the second CPU (for now anyway), and youll need a 'professional' OS like W2K, NT, XP Professional (dunno about XP Home) for same reason. Most games also do not like these OS's.

also if more than 512mb youll proly want something like Cacheman program to sort out the problems...

[edit: "as long it doesn't create any problems with Linux and/or Win2K." - uh, so nevermind lol]

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/19/01 09:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 20, 2001 3:03:48 AM

In reprise of the Anti-Tyan post already made here, Tyan makes great boards as I have been using them for years, as far as getting a dually board though, I would go with the Pentium models, mainly because they have been out for awhile and are very stable. If you want to over clock in the future, you will be out of luck with a Tyan board, as they do not offer over clocking features (It goes back to the stability issue given above) go with the Abit VP6, or the MSI 694DPRO2R200. If you want stability with little over clocking features, go with any of the Tyan Tiger Class MB's, as they can be found at a cost between $87-215 depending on what features you want. If you do plan on getting any of these boards, make sure that the manufacturer designed enough space for the heat sink, I just installed a 1 GHZ retail processor into my Tyan Trinity 400 and the heat sink would not fit, luckily, I had another computer around and swapped heat sinks with it, but this is a problem that you do not want to have.

If it works for you then don't fix it.
November 20, 2001 6:49:20 AM

I have the Asus CUV4X-D and have not had a problem so far and the price was very reasonable.The big freakin' heat syncs fit too ! The only problem that you may not like is the lack of flexibility when it comes to overclocking. For example, the speed of the PCI bus moves up and down with the speed of memory bus - it can't be adjusted independently like on some other boards. If you wanted to overclock your memory, you may cause an expansion card to not function. Some PIII's also come with a multiplier lock, so if you overclock your memory, the CPU goes along with it too. I believe there's some boards out there that one is able to adjust all of those settings independant of one another.
There's a bunch of dual PIII boards available for a song and the PIII CPU's are getting down there too.
Bear in mind what DaveGOD said about the O/S: You are going to have to go with an adult O/S like NT/2000/XP or Linux or the second processor will sit idle.
Go over the www.2cpu.com and take a look.
Happy multi-processing.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2001 11:26:28 AM

For my 2 cents, I really had a great time putting together the Tyan tiger S2460, it works great, it's stable, and is a rendering powerhouse (3d studio max) Basic board for just a little over 200, not great at overclocking.

I've also built boards with the Abit VP6. A decent reliable dual board with onboard IDE raid. Very easy to use, and very stable. Never tried to overclock this one. Not sure what will come about.

As far as the Linux/NT/2k/XP (pro only), u should be using those anyway. 2000 in my humble opinion is the best this MS is put out to date. Stable and fast. Shouldn't be a worry.

To address you others saying all you need is a single CPU board, you may be right, but then again all they probably need is a 6oo mhz machine, to surf and play games. It's not that we need anything, It's a passion of ours...no, an addiction. Why do I over clock my 1.4 ghz T-bird. I don't need to, it's fast enough. Do I really notice a difference? Nope, but it's my passion...let the man build a dual board.

The thing I find about dual cpu's is I always feel more stable, maybe it's just in my mind, but it feels better, like I can multitask anything. Anyhoo, goodluck.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2001 11:56:54 AM

>To address you others saying all you need is a single CPU >board, you may be right, but then again all they probably >need is a 6oo mhz machine, to surf and play games. It's >not that we need anything, It's a passion of ours...no, an >addiction. Why do I over clock my 1.4 ghz T-bird. I don't >need to, it's fast enough. Do I really notice a >difference? Nope, but it's my passion...let the man build >a dual board.
I couldn't have put this any better. Thanx, those were the very words on my mind, but I couldn't put it in writing. I don't want to have to justify the reasons for building a dual CPU machine. Its just a passion.

Thanx for the tips, too.

krmtfrz
November 20, 2001 3:02:12 PM

Quote:
>To address you others saying all you need is a single CPU >board, you may be right, but then again all they probably >need is a 6oo mhz machine, to surf and play games. It's >not that we need anything, It's a passion of ours...no, an >addiction. Why do I over clock my 1.4 ghz T-bird. I don't >need to, it's fast enough. Do I really notice a >difference? Nope, but it's my passion...let the man build >a dual board.
I couldn't have put this any better. Thanx, those were the very words on my mind, but I couldn't put it in writing. I don't want to have to justify the reasons for building a dual CPU machine. Its just a passion.

I totally agree with you!

:frown: I was happy till she crossed my sight -----> XP333/R :frown: !
November 20, 2001 4:31:19 PM

Windows XP Home Edition does not support multiple processors.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 20, 2001 6:15:29 PM

If you took my post as a slam against Tyan, then I'm sorry. I was simply stating that I have seen people with problems with their Tyan Tiger MP boards.

November 20, 2001 6:22:01 PM

I have seen people with problems with their toasters, too :) 

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2001 10:10:30 PM

I recently owned a Tyan Thunderbolt, I had no trouble with it. However , as mentioned previously, you aren't able to overclock the cpus. And you must be certain about the ram. It's very picky ! Other than that, It ran like a champ. I am in the process now of getting a new Dual setup and recently learned of the dual ASUS AMD board. The better chipset is the only thing that will keep me from purchasing the ASUS over the Tyan board. Both being great manufacturers in my opinion.
November 21, 2001 4:30:44 AM

Was it running with a P4 or an Athlon?

Nah, probably was a Dec Alpha, those could realy toast well.

November 21, 2001 5:04:48 AM

Allow me to "here-here" Dan Rather. Enjoy the addiction.
As for multitasking, damn straight. Couple a pair of CPU's with one the the zippy SCSI hard drives and you can work that baby like a clydesdale.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork
November 21, 2001 5:09:23 AM

Quote:
To address you others saying all you need is a single CPU board, you may be right, but then again all they probably need is a 6oo mhz machine, to surf and play games. It's not that we need anything, It's a passion of ours...no, an addiction. Why do I over clock my 1.4 ghz T-bird. I don't need to, it's fast enough. Do I really notice a difference? Nope, but it's my passion...let the man build a dual board.

well i can stick my finger up my butt, doesn't mean i'm going to though :lol: 

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:
November 28, 2001 4:58:57 AM

If you don't know, there is a site www.2cpu.com that might have info to help you decide on which way to go. I have been looking at the Tyan Dual board and have read all the reviews I could find. I think that I will wait a bit longer until the rest of the dual AMD boards come out. MSI K7D Master-Lr, Abit WA-2A, ASUS A7m266-D, and Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW are the ones I've read some about. Some at least with the newer AMD760MPX chipset. I know you said you would even be interested in older CPU's, so check 2cpu.com, they be your kinda people!
!